(Original post by Pushkin-simonov)
    How you know? Have you seen the paper? If yes, thanks
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pushkin-simonov)
    How you know? Have you seen the paper? If yes, thanks
    How do we prove it?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck all. I doubt this exam is going to be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    Good luck all. I doubt this exam is going to be too hard.
    Famous last words...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chirstos Ioannou)
    How do we prove it?
    Don't worry about that troll.

The only things we need to prove in Maclaurin/Taylor series are the functions in the formula book (so cosine, sine, exponentials, etc.) with the exception of arctan (which, while technically you can differentiate arctan using C3 knowledge, it doesn't appear until FP3 and will not appear in FP2).

To prove, it's just the same process you've always been doing (find high-order derivatives and evaluate them).

You need not know where the Taylor/Maclaurin formula comes from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oinkk)
    Don't worry about that troll.

The only things we need to prove in Maclaurin/Taylor series are the functions in the formula book (so cosine, sine, exponentials, etc.) with the exception of arctan (which, while technically you can differentiate arctan using C3 knowledge, it doesn't appear until FP3 and will not appear in FP2).

To prove, it's just the same process you've always been doing (find high-order derivatives and evaluate them).

You need not know where the Taylor/Maclaurin formula comes from.
    What about example 3 page 108?

ReputationRep:
    How did you all find the image of z? Sweat there's never been an inverse matrix complex no. question before...

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean exactly by finding the derivatives and evaluating them? oinkk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieOH)
    What do you mean exactly by finding the derivatives and evaluating them? oinkk
    Differentiating sine to give cosine, then -sine, etc. Then by evaluating I mean to plug 0 into them in order to put those values into the formula 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seytonic)
    What about example 3 page 108?
    Yeah. That's what I mean by proving it for certain functions that we can differentiate. You could be asked to prove the Maclaurin series for e^x. It won't be worth many marks given that it's in the formula book.

ReputationRep:
    Someone help please! How do you do part b? How do you know which region to shade after the transformation?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxequation)
    Someone help please! How do you do part b? How do you know which region to shade after the transformation?
    Two ways
    Simply pick a z point and find its image under w. If it lies in the circle, then the region is inside the circle, otherwise it's outside.
    Or, and this should help you understand it better, you can look back through your workings for the previous question and mentally replace the = with the appropriate inequalities and see what inequality you are left with at the end, it should tell you that points are either inside or outside the circle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Two ways
    Simply pick a z point and find its image under w. If it lies in the circle, then the region is inside the circle, otherwise it's outside.
    Or, and this should help you understand it better, you can look back through your workings for the previous question and mentally replace the = with the appropriate inequalities and see what inequality you are left with at the end, it should tell you that points are either inside or outside the circle
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMaurice04)
    Good luck everyone
    Thanks and same to you

ReputationRep:
    Anybody done the IAL paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Anybody done the IAL paper?
    Hope it went well.
    75 or 74?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Hope it went well.
    75 or 74?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eh, plugged the wrong value into a McLaurin series. Probably 72 or 71.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Eh, plugged the wrong value into a McLaurin series. Probably 72 or 71.
    Haha! I did that last year LOL!
    I got 73/75 I had one wrong ter in my maclaurin and a wring differential in the part before(correct but then factored it with wrong numbers leading the the 3/4th derivitive being wrong hence the 4 th term was wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Haha! I did that last year LOL!
    I got 73/75 I had one wrong ter in my maclaurin and a wring differential in the part before(correct but then factored it with wrong numbers leading the the 3/4th derivitive being wrong hence the 4 th term was wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh, got my A*A* in M/FM already so don't care at all :rofl:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.