Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society IV watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I haven't had the pleasure of witnessing Bradman, Hobbs et al first hand, so I'll base mine on my lifetime of watching cricket (1990 onwards, basically).

Smith/Hayden/Cook (honestly can't split them), Sehwag, Sangakkara, Kallis, Tendulkar, Lara, Gilchrist (wk), Warne, Akram, McGrath, Muralithiran.*

12th man: Waugh, Ambrose or Donald.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    No Bradman, no Tendulkar

U wot
    Tbf Bradman is a shout - maybe swap him for sangakarra (was going for right left combos - besides, bowling nowadays is much faster than what he was facing with <140 being called medium fast so don't think he'd cope, he'd be like YUVI against the short ball)

Tendulkar however no I won't play him. He is good but he played selfishly and didn't score 200+ often. Dravid is far superior in this regard, also sachin took agggggeeeeesssss going from 90-100 and then would get himself out at like 110 or something and so wouldn't convert to a 150 that often. Dravid had better conversions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    Dhoni as captain? You sure? Definately in limited overs but not tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In his prime, yes. He was insane. Not towards the latter part of his career

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    In his prime, yes. He was insane. Not towards the latter part of his career
    But Gilchrist averaged almost 10 higher, had a strike rate over 20 higher, scored 11 more centuries, took over 100 more catches, and literally changed the way test cricket was played.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    But Gilchrist averaged almost 10 higher, had a strike rate over 20 higher, scored 11 more centuries, took over 100 more catches, and literally changed the way test cricket was played.
    Essence of bias in the original team but you're right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Tbf I'm slightly biased (I'm Punjabi) so despite the fact Gilly captained kings 11 also, I still think better of dhoni. He was faster behind the stumps too. Also, dhoni would talk to his teammates by yelling hilarious things at them behind the stump's that could be picked up by stump mic

ReputationRep:
    Cook
    Hayden
    Bradman
    Kallis
    Tendulkar
    Sobers
    Gilchrist
    Warne
    Ambrose
    Donald
    McGrath

Purely based on what I've seen live and documentaries.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Cook
    Hayden
    Bradman
    Kallis
    Tendulkar
    Sobers
    Gilchrist
    Warne
    Ambrose
    Donald
    McGrath

A very good side. And one I fundamentally agree with, though I can't deny Murali or Akram a place, considering those two were such inspirations for me growing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    A very good side. And one I fundamentally agree with, though I can't deny Murali or Akram a place, considering those two were such inspirations for me growing up.
    I don't think you can go wrong with Warne or Murali, I simply went for Warney due to his history with England and that Murali would've had more favourable pitches playing more in Sri Lanka. There really isn't much in it.
    Can't really say I've seen a huge amount of Akram, same goes for Waqar.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't think you can go wrong with Warne or Murali, I simply went for Warney due to his history with England and that Murali would've had more favourable pitches playing more in Sri Lanka. There really isn't much in it.
    Can't really say I've seen a huge amount of Akram, same goes for Waqar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Unbelievable, one of the best bowlers to have played the game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Enginerd.)
    Unbelievable, one of the best bowlers to have played the game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    absolutely.*
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't wait for tomorrow. There's something very special about England and Pakistan Tests, but after SL were despatched in such easy fashion, I can't wait to see some competitive red-ball cricket.

Something always seems to happen when Pakistan tour England - and you can be sure this series won't pass without controversy.

I expect Amir will get a really frosty reception, but to be honest, it'll just be pantomime villain type stuff. The Lord's crowd are traditional, and they'll respect Amir for paying for his sins and fronting up. Amir has already really impressed in England thus far this summer, and you get a sense that he and Riaz smell blood now Root has moved up to three.

Should Root be batting so high? I'm of the opinion it doesn't matter. I don't know why the selectors have changed it (arguably it's Bayliss' decision, because he's a traditional Australian who believes the best batsmen bat at three, and that's quite a subcontinent way of thinking if you look at the likes of Kallis, Ponting, Dravid, even Tendulkar for a part of his career). I wouldn't have changed it personally, given the fact Root has achieved great things at 4 and 5, but there's an argument which suggests the void needs filling and Root last scored 100+ as a number three at Lord's, against one of the best seam attacks in the world, Australia.

You imagine Pakistan will benefit more from the conditions tomorrow, given Anderson's omission. Broad has already discussed the pitch, calling it lifeless, and it's failed to give a result in 20 first class matches thus far this season, which doesn't bode well.

In truth, the best Amir can hope for (in terms of the crowd) is a couple of wickets in this first Test and nothing more. Imagine if he skittles England, or gets a five-for. The fans and the media will be baying for his blood, suggesting he should have received a life ban. That can't be good for anybody. I agree with Cook: he's paid for his crimes, and now is the time to move on. We can't let Amir be the sole focus of the summer, because there's 21 other players out there.

It's good to see Ball get the nod, despite Roland-Jones knowing the conditions. All eyes will be on Vince and Gary Ballance, perhaps predictably, but I'm intrigued to see how Misbah fares at the age of 42.

Pakistan offer a fierce, fierce test this summer, and I can see them winning at least one Test. Yasir Shah will be absolutely key, and if they can get Cook/Root out early, you imagine the Pakistanis will smell blood and really get into England's somewhat inexperienced middle order. Remember Ballance - while a gamble - averages 47 in Test cricket. He's no mug.

The real difference between the two sides - and where the series could be won and lost - is batting depth. England can bat right up until 11, while Pakistan are weak towards their tail end and you imagine they won't stick around long once seven or eight down.

ReputationRep:
    I just hope the series goes without any sort of controversy as the last two tours have generated.

If Pakistan win the toss, fully expect them to bowl and if Amir starts off like a house on fire - which he could do with his ability - then it could bode confidence for the batters whereas if Pakistan bat in overcast conditions, lose early wickets, then sense a collapse quite quickly.

Looking forward to the weekend and the day's play - will have to suffice on BBC's live text and highlights during the week!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Looking forward to the weekend and the day's play - will have to suffice on BBC's live text and highlights during the week!
    same here mate!

I think the toss is crucial. If Broad can get in amongst a Pakistan batting order early on the first day at Lord's, given the tourists' relative inexperience touring England, then it's a huge boost for England.

That said, if Pakistan start in the field and Riaz and Amir get the Duke ball swinging, they may find themselves into England early. If they can remove Cook and Root quickly, England are massively exposed.

You look at England's batting lineup, and it's stacked, but the middle order is soft centred. Vince and Ballance have huge question marks over them, compared with Pakistan's three to six, which is arguably the most sturdy in Test cricket right now.*

ReputationRep:
    As expected, Pakistan openers have failed to make a strong base.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cook
    Hayden
    Bradman
    Kallis
    Tendulkar
    Sobers
    Gilchrist
    Warne
    Ambrose
    Donald
    McGrath

Sehwag
    Gavaskar
    Richards
    Tendulkar
    Sobers
    Gilchrist
    Akram
    Ambrose
    Marshal
    Mcgrath
    Murali

12th Kallis

ReputationRep:
    Apart from channel 5, where can I watch eng Pak highlights?

ReputationRep:
    Pitch not exactly conducive to good cricket, although not exactly suprising at Lords.

Thought England bowled really well for the first few hours but with the pitch so mundane there are runs available for batsmen who apply themselves. Pakistan getting back towards par with this partnership.

Wonder if the Pakistan seamers will get the ball to move. Without Anderson we don't have a proper swing bowler, and without any bounce in the pitch we're struggling. Pakistan's attack has a different style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    Apart from channel 5, where can I watch eng Pak highlights?
    Cricinfo? Not sure if they'll show highlights though.

After the first day, I would say it's pretty even. The last wicket probably pushed it more in favour of an England day.

Misbah. What an innings! And still going strong. Main concern in this team is obvious, lack of a good opening pair. Shan Masood has been decent in the warmups so I'm just putting it towards nervousness and hopefully he delivers in the 2nd innings.

On to tomorrow, where we should be watching Amir and Yasir show their worth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.