The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doll Parts
You are completely wrong. All posts in HMRC are eligible for Standard Disclosures as per the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975.

You are confusing this by referring to the security clearance, Baseline Personnel Security Standard (Basic), which is different to the Employment vetting they are doing here.

The advert mentions Basic to differentiate from SC, CTC and DV clearance. These are the security clearances that are done by Departmental Security Units and allow access to different levels of classified information. For these posts you won't have access to Secret or Top Secret information so only Basic security clearance is required; this is done ALONGSIDE the Standard Disclosure.

So please don't suggest that anyone should not declare their spent offences, as that is simply the wrong advice and could cost someone a job.

First of all this is complex area.

Also SW19 is very anxious and would like input.I have provided my input.

Again i summarise:

You do not need to declare spent convictions.
If you are asked you can legally say you have no convictions/cautions etc if is spent

Now when the starndard DBS check is done by CS JOBS all spent and unspent convuctions will show.

as the stardard of check in this vacancy is
Basic security and is not DV,SC AND CTC and this occupation is not exempt.

CS JOBS will be able to disclose spent convictions to HMRC but they can disclose unspent Convictions
Original post by Chance700
Rehabilitation period for for a fine is 1 year.So you are well passed that,so are you okay in my opinion.

There are some exepmt occupations and you always have to declarare but the tax speacilsit is not one if them.

This list is if exempt occupations from Rehabilitation of offenders act
Examples of the types of occupations, posts and activities in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 Please be aware that this is not a comprehensive list and merely gives an indication of the general types of employment that are included in the Exceptions Order. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. Regulated activity with children and other activities which involve working closely with children such as caring for, training, supervising or being solely in charge of children under 18 (including adoption, fostering, day care and childminding) Regulated activity and other activities which involve caring for, training, supervising or being solely in charge of other people in vulnerable circumstances (including social work and advocacy services) Employment in healthcare professions (including medical practitioners, dentists, nurses, midwives, optometrists, registered pharmacists and osteopaths) Employment concerned with national security (including the provision of air traffic services and employment by the UK Atomic Energy Authority) Employment in the legal profession (including barristers, solicitors, legal executives, the Crown Prosecution Service and judicial appointments) Offices and positions in HM Courts and Tribunals Service and the Judicial Office (including Justices’ and sheriff’s, court and tribunal security officers and contractors with unsupervised access to court-houses, tribunal buildings, offices and other accommodation used in relation to the court or tribunal) Employment in law enforcement (including police constables and cadets, the naval, military and air force police, traffic wardens and employment in the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) Offices responsible for the enforcement of warrants and writs (including Court officers who execute county court warrants, High Court enforcement officers, sheriffs and Civilian enforcement officers) Employment in the Prison and Probation Services (including prison and probation officers, members of boards of visitors etc. Employment in the financial sector (including chartered and certified accountants, actuaries and all positions for which the Financial Conduct Authority or the competent authority for listings are entitled to ask exempted questions to fulfil their obligations under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000) For licensing purposes (including the National Lottery, gambling, firearms and drugs licensing purposes, Security Industry Authority licences, and licensing hackney

Ok, let's say you are right, what you are suggesting is that HMRC have broken the law by requesting Standard Disclosures for all the people currently in post and those that are currently awaiting checks.

They have therefore broken the Data Protection Act, Article 8 of the Human Rights Act (the right to privacy) and Police Act (Part V) - because those are all the laws you break if you request a Disclosure when you're not entitled to that information.

So, does that sound plausible to you? Or is it possible that actually you have no knowledge on this subject?
Original post by L16
That's great, thank you. I'm in NI which would explain why it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I just entered the number on my driving licence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1283
You are completely wrong. All posts in HMRC are eligible for Standard Disclosures as per the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975.

You are confusing this by referring to the security clearance, Baseline Personnel Security Standard (Basic), which is different to the Employment vetting they are doing here.

The advert mentions Basic to differentiate from SC, CTC and DV clearance. These are the security clearances that are done by Departmental Security Units and allow access to different levels of classified information. For these posts you won't have access to Secret or Top Secret information so only Basic security clearance is required; this is done ALONGSIDE the Standard Disclosure.

So please don't suggest that anyone should not declare their spent offences, as that is simply the wrong advice and could cost someone a job.

According to this:
http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/filtering-simple-guide/

As long as the caution/conviction isn't on a list of exempt offences, the latest legislation protects applicants so that they don't have to have to declare them.

"Information that is filtered will be removed from a DBS check automatically the next time you apply for one. But it doesn’t get ‘removed’ or ‘wiped’ from police records. In practice, it means that if you’re applying for a job or role that involves a DBS check, you are legally entitled to withhold the details of anything that would now be filtered"
Ok, let's say you are right, what you are suggesting is that HMRC have broken the law by requesting Standard Disclosures for all the people currently in post and those that are currently awaiting checks.

They have therefore broken the Data Protection Act, Article 8 of the Human Rights Act (the right to privacy) and Police Act (Part V) - because those are all the laws you break if you request a Disclosure when you're not entitled to that information.

So, does that sound plausible to you? Or is it possible that actually you have no knowledge on this subject?

You are funny.kkk

You have to understand there are two government departments CS RESOURCING and HMRC.

CS RESOURCING AKA CS Jobs is an agent for HMRC.

This job requires basic secury Check.

HMRC has not compelled or requested anybody to under go stardard disclosure check.Just a basic secury check

CS JOBS has made that request for stardand DBS DISCLOSURE.

Now DBS STARNDARD disclosure will show Everything.spent and unspent convictions

As HMRC requires a BASIC SECURITY Check only, CS JOBS will not disclose spent convictions as these are not relevent for the type of check HMRC requires.

They will only disclose UNSPENT convictions.

You can clarify this with CS JOBS.

Lets say CS JOBS disclosed spent convictions to HMRC and thus an applicant failed pre appointment checks as a result of a spent conviction, this would be illegal.
You are funny.kkk

You have to understand there are two government departments CS RESOURCING and HMRC.

HMRC has not compelled or requested anybody to under go stardard disclosure check.Just a basic secury check

As HMRC requires a BASIC SECURITY Check only, CS JOBS will not disclose spent convictions as these are not relevent for the type of check HMRC requires.

Lets say CS JOBS disclosed spent convictions to HMRC and thus an applicant failed pre appointment checks as a result of a spent conviction, this would be illegal.

I think you are correct. It's similar with things like employment history. When verifying an applicants employment history via HMRC, HMRC will only be allowed to confirm details that are in the application which CS Resourcing ask them about . To disclose anything else that the applicant has not put would be a breach of Data Protection Act

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are funny.kkk

You're right to say CS Resourcing is acting as an 'agent' for HMRC. That's correct because CS Resourcing can't ask an Exempted Question. HMRC are asking the Exempted Question (because they are entitled to, in law).

CS Resourcing cannot strip out what they tell HMRC and there's no need for them to, because HMRC are entitled to ask an Exempted Question.

In regards to filtering, yes some offences get filtered, but only if they are 11+ years old and there is only one offence. Some offences are never filtered due to their nature. One of the offences that is never filtered is Assault Occasioning ABH.

But, as my 15 years work at DBS finished last week, I'll consider myself off the clock at this point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Doll parts......patience epitomized. 👍

"HMRC has an exemption under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974(Exceptions) order 1975, Amended 2013). Applicants who are successful in reaching the interview stage of the recruitment process will be asked to declare details of any criminal convictions, to allow basic security checks to be completed. Declaring a criminal conviction will not necessarily prevent you from being successful in your application for this particular position but it may exclude you from applying for other posts within the Department. “Offence” in questions 1, 2 and 3 includes motoring, but not parking offences.If you give any information which you know is false or if you withhold any relevant information, this may lead to your application being rejected or, if you have already been appointed, to your dismissal. You must tell us immediately if you are charged with an offence after you complete this form and before you take up any job offered as a result of your application. Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975, Amended 2013) HMRC can ask individuals for details of any “spent” criminal convictions which are unlikely to be filtered under the protected list of offences."
You're right to say CS Resourcing is acting as an 'agent' for HMRC. That's correct because CS Resourcing can't ask an Exempted Question. HMRC are asking the Exempted Question (because they are entitled to, in law).

CS Resourcing cannot strip out what they tell HMRC and there's no need for them to, because HMRC are entitled to ask an Exempted Question.

In regards to filtering, yes some offences get filtered, but only if they are 11+ years old and there is only one offence. Some offences are never filtered due to their nature. One of the offences that is never filtered is Assault Occasioning ABH.

But, as my 15 years work at DBS finished last week, I'll consider myself off the clock at this point.

Apologies all, especially Doll

I just checked the exemptions register.

HMRC has an exemption ref number 25.

So you shoud declare all Convictions (spent and unspent)

I was proceeding under a wrong assumption that HMRC was not exempt but it is.
certain man need to jam blud
Original post by Escapalda lamen
Yea that's me mate like yourself I applied tax grad role last year and also like yourself got a provisional offer for o grade on 16th August. To compound things I was given a call yesterday from them saying I hadn't replied back to there emails even though I had a chain of emails to them saved. They then apologised but didn't give me a specific date they just said you have to wait. Now that my HEO application result has finally come through I don't think I am going to bother with the O grade role. I hope for your sake it comes through sooner rather than later. its so frustrating.

Here's hoping. I had completely forgotten about the role so I hadn't applied to any other similar ones. I'm going to go for the fast stream again but could do with this advancing sooner rather than later. I haven't had any calls, emails other than responses to enquiries I've made. My references haven't been contacted still and I'm starting to lose patience as it's apparently the vacancy holder I'm waiting on. I'm guessing that means HMRC and not CSR at this stage. I know public sector takes time but a month on from a provisional offer and receiving no further communication is pretty shocking.
Original post by daj19
im in a similar situation and my friend last year went through a similar process but got an offer around September 15th so I guess we will find out by next week.

Just a quick question, when you go to your feedback and underneath results what does it say?

Mine says 'You have scored better than 70% of people who have previously taken this test' but not sure if thats the same message for everyone

Same but 88%. Automatically generated based on test results. Have you had any further contact?
Original post by Jamz115
It's asking do you have a valid passport. My passport has expired. Can I say no or will that mess up the application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

An expired passport can still be used as ID. Although not permitted for travel, they still demonstrate a right to work.
Original post by Swizzeh
Here's hoping. I had completely forgotten about the role so I hadn't applied to any other similar ones. I'm going to go for the fast stream again but could do with this advancing sooner rather than later. I haven't had any calls, emails other than responses to enquiries I've made. My references haven't been contacted still and I'm starting to lose patience as it's apparently the vacancy holder I'm waiting on. I'm guessing that means HMRC and not CSR at this stage. I know public sector takes time but a month on from a provisional offer and receiving no further communication is pretty shocking.

Same but 88%. Automatically generated based on test results. Have you had any further contact?

97% fam - I'm a g still
Original post by PabloPatron
97% fam - I'm a g still

Very impressive! That score get you the role you were after?*
Original post by Swizzeh

Lol no scoreless you the role I got 99%, thEres no guarantee its all on your interview
Original post by memoryfish
Lol no scoreless you the role I got 99%, thEres no guarantee its all on your interview

People could cheat the test so it's right that it's all on the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
People could cheat the test so it's right that it's all on the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's unlikely people cheat because of the time constraint. The test is no more demanding than an easy graduate scheme application test.
Reply 1297
Original post by Jamz115
I just entered the number on my driving licence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's what I did too. Where did you find your candidate reference number for the health form?
Original post by L16
Yes, that's what I did too. Where did you find your candidate reference number for the health form?

I just entered some random number CS/600 or somethin lol on the communication .. If it's not that then hey will let me know I'm sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Swizzeh

The sift test at the start has no bearing on whether you eventually get offered a role or not unfortunately.

Latest

Trending

Trending