Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefy008)
    I just did the exam! I'm freaking out! I didn't have time to finish the second 25 mark question! AGGHHHH
    I did elections and pressure groups. And I have to say I did not expect that essay question on democracy.
    Does anyone feel like they messed up?
    I was taken aback by that question on democracy. It was the reason why I just ignored democracy and moved onto electoral systems instead. Overall, I'm questioning whether I actually did well or not. I know I made some stupid mistakes in my answers, and the second (25) I did on pressure groups lacked in-depth explanations because I had maybe 5-10 minutes left. The timing sucked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent17)
    I basically said that each system has its own merits and advantages but also share a number of disadvantages and shortfalls, including FPTP, AMS and STV. My conclusion really was shallow, but I was running out of time so I had to move on quickly.
    Okay same. Thats pretty much what I did, I ust felt it was a bit half assed since the question itself didnt seem ike it needed much of a concluding point to summarise
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    Voting is currently not compulsory in the UK however there have been several arguments levied that it needs now to be made mandatory, these have included: • It would increase participation levels for all levels of elections ranging from local and EU elections which are dangerously low to elections for Westminster • It has been introduced in other countries such as Australia and Belgium hence it is a practical possibility • Increased levels of participation could generate increased legitimacy • Compulsory voting would be a catalyst for wider civic duties in society • Compulsory voting may extend the citizens understanding of issues and the functions of government.
    Did u mention other stuff like e democracy and votes at 16, the 10 marker needs 3 paragraph and compulsory voting only took 1 ??

ReputationRep:
    None of the questions i revised came up especially unit 1 thought for sure it would be some sort of referendum or direct rep question that why I didn't do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Will I get a low mark on then electoral systems question because I only wrote about 2 systems
    Yea, I think the max you can get in that situation is level 2 - 3 is minimum with evaluation at end of each paragraph.

For devolution and EU membership I talked about:

- more representation for minor parties in Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly - so people w/o representative in Westminster may have one here - cant remember evaluation tbh maybe I forgot
    - West Lothian Question, English Votes for English Laws, strengthening English interests at Westminster and powers of English representatives - evaluated with EVEL sucks
    - Pooled sovereignty of EU, higher status of EU Law = weaker UK representatives, Factortame, evaluated with referendum maybe Brexit

For elections:

- FPTP ensures strong and stable government, evaluate with poor representation
    - STV is proportional, evaluate with more difficult to understand
    - SV simple and encourage conciliatory campaigning, however wasted votes, two-party system, not majoritarian like AV

Overall I'm quite happy, it was a nice paper but the democracy question was a surprise. The 5 and 10 markers were all easy enough, loved compulsory voting

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me the exact 10 marker of democracy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    Can someone tell me the exact 10 marker of democracy
    Three advantages of compulsory voting.

ReputationRep:
    What did people write for the pressure groups 25 marker?

ReputationRep:
    I have to do well in Unit 2
    That's how sure my grade was low on that paper.
    I feel you on so many levels! And I had this paper as my insurance because u hate unit 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana208)
    Okay same. Thats pretty much what I did, I ust felt it was a bit half assed since the question itself didnt seem ike it needed much of a concluding point to summarise
    thanks
    Yeah, I agree.

You know it's bad when I looked at the (25) electoral question and started thinking what 'merit' meant!

Errm, did anyone else feel like it was a Unit 2 paper when they saw the Democracy 25 marker? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    ****! I answered the election question A, somehow confused the B question with the democracy one (about imposed voting) and then went back to election question C. I didn't realise I answered the wrong number question until I moved onto my second question. Went back to fix it and ran out of time for the pressure group questions and only did the intro paragraph for question C pressure groups. ☹️😞😭 I've lost 30 marks at least. should have just left it and done the C question.

The election and voting questions overlapped a bit, I thought.

ReputationRep:
    no 25 marker i revised came up. that democracy 25 marker was so annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)
    Yea, I think the max you can get in that situation is level 2 - 3 is minimum with evaluation at end of each paragraph.

- more representation for minor parties in Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly - so people w/o representative in Westminster may have one here - cant remember evaluation tbh maybe I forgot
    - West Lothian Question, English Votes for English Laws, strengthening English interests at Westminster and powers of English representatives - evaluated with EVEL sucks
    - Pooled sovereignty of EU, higher status of EU Law = weaker UK representatives, Factortame, evaluated with referendum maybe Brexit

For elections:

- SV simple and encourage conciliatory campaigning, however wasted votes, two-party system, not majoritarian like AV

Overall I'm quite happy, it was a nice paper but the democracy question was a surprise. The 5 and 10 markers were all easy enough, loved compulsory voting
    Hmm my teacher said you can score full marks with two points each as long as you wrote well.

ReputationRep:
    we cant retake right ?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm my teacher said you can score full marks with two points each as long as you wrote well.
    i think thats for general 10 markers. this question asked for 3 specifically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)

For elections:

It said assess
    You had to talk about the drawbacks of those methods as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulucoco98)
    Did u mention other stuff like e democracy and votes at 16, the 10 marker needs 3 paragraph and compulsory voting only took 1 ??
    Unfortunately it said three advantages of compulsory voting, so you'll only get marked for a point relating to compulsory voting

(Original post by aamirac)
    Errm, did anyone else feel like it was a Unit 2 paper when they saw the Democracy 25 marker? :unsure:
    Holy crap yes.. I felt like it was a constitution question, was talking about pooled sovereignty, parliamentary sovereignty, quasi-federalism, EVEL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    Preach that 🙌

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKStudent17)
    I was taken aback by that question on democracy. It was the reason why I just ignored democracy and moved onto electoral systems instead. Overall, I'm questioning whether I actually did well or not. I know I made some stupid mistakes in my answers, and the second (25) I did on pressure groups lacked in-depth explanations because I had maybe 5-10 minutes left. The timing sucked.
    What are they actually thinking?! It's not possible for us to do all of those in 80 minutes. Sorry but last time I checked I wasn't superwoman!-.- I'm so annoyed because I knew the material well on democracy and I was sure that I will ace it! Last think I want is a resit next year. Omg I hate that thing. So many things went wrong this year in our politics class and the paper didn't help us at all!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.