The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Just passed Big Ben

Attachment 585146*
    Cool story, brah, nobody has been to Westminster before!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    When asked if he would return to politics he said "it's an open question".

He says he feels compelled to intervene in the 'tragedy' of a 'one-party state'.
    I think he should. Come back and form the centre left party that the labour moderates are too scared to from, then stand down as leader in 2018, if he is leader in the first place, and then in 10-20 years he adds to his bragging rights starting a new primary political party and certainly go down as one of the greatest centre left politicians in British history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I think he should. Come back and form the centre left party that the labour moderates are too scared to from, then stand down as leader in 2018, if he is leader in the first place, and then in 10-20 years he adds to his bragging rights starting a new primary political party and certainly go down as one of the greatest centre left politicians in British history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Center right you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Center right you mean?
    No, I mean centre.

ReputationRep:
    The unsurprising thing about the sterling "crash" overnight is that it was a mountain out of a molehill and looks like either some glitch, or hopefully somebody pressing the wrong button instead, if you look at the graph Sterling crashes 4% in, unclear, but either a matter of seconds, or at most minutes, and at most minutes later was back again.

ReputationRep:
    The unsurprising thing about the sterling "crash" overnight is that it was a mountain out of a molehill and looks like either some glitch, or hopefully somebody pressing the wrong button instead, if you look at the graph Sterling crashes 4% in, unclear, but either a matter of seconds, or at most minutes, and at most minutes later was back again.
    Hardly. We won't know what caused the "flash" aspect exactly (fat finger trade, algo etc.) but important to note Sterling hasn't recovered to it's pre-flash crash level of 1.26 today and has drifted down since the start of the week. GBPUSD has fallen at least 4% for the week.since it became clearer that getting rid of foreigners is the priority. The forex market will go up and down but let's not pretend it's been all business as usual.

On a separate note, I love the note from HSBC that Sterling "is now the de facto official opposition to the government's policies". Labour must be proud of their ability to hold the Tories to account atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Hardly. We won't know what caused the "flash" aspect exactly (fat finger trade, algo etc.) but important to note Sterling hasn't recovered to it's pre-flash crash level of 1.26 today and has drifted down since the start of the week. GBPUSD has fallen at least 4% for the week.since it became clearer that getting rid of foreigners is the priority. The forex market will go up and down but let's not pretend it's been all business as usual.

On a separate note, I love the note from HSBC that Sterling "is now the de facto official opposition to the government's policies". Labour must be proud of their ability to hold the Tories to account atm.
    Don't even bother pretending that the 7 cent drop was the only happening like much of the media did until the last line of their article, perhaps more interesting than the sudden crash and then recovery over the next 10 minutes is that for the previous 2 hours (at least) as good as nothing had happened. I'm seeing that at 5 minute intervals from 0500 to 0700 EDT the variance was less than 0.1 cent, and then at some point between 0700 and 0705 there was a crash of at least 6.25 cent (at least given that there could easily have been recovery before 0705. There is clearly something amis there because you would not expect basically no change for at least two hours and then a sudden crash of over 5% in a matter of at most minutes, which half is the anomaly (or are they both) and why? I suspect neither question will be answered even though both probably can, all we have to do is hope that it was human error and not system error.

Looking further it turns out it was over 2 minutes, 6.1% decline, I'm seeing reports that on some measures it was as low as $1.14, and the best explanation was that it was a perfect storm sort of situation, low volume in Asian hours makes something that should barely affect the price actually do so, and then high volume robot trades exacerbate it all before humans can step in and adjust prices.

I suppose, in other news: UK manufacturing just got another boost

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest I think Mandelson would be more useful. New Labour was his creation really, Blair was the shiny, charismatic poster boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    To be honest I think Mandelson would be more useful. New Labour was his creation really, Blair was the shiny, charismatic poster boy.
    But does mandleson really have the interest in doing so? It would also be a lot easier with a commoner rather than a lord. The moderates just need somebody to get the ball rolling, they're just too scared of a repeat of the SDP despite very different circumstances and lack the Tory brutality to do the job, as demonstrated by their dreadful coup against Corbyn, they went for what they saw as an opportunity rather than timing it right.

The coip shouldn't have been until nexy year at the earliest, probably 18 and new boundaries confirmed would have been best, instead they killec Labour.

ReputationRep:
    The Prince of Darkness making a comeback is an unpleasant thought. His comeback under Gordon Brown did Labour no favours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Despite Gideon Osbourne exaggerating the impact of voting for Brexit the decline in the value of the pound and more expensive imports as a result means we will be all worse off, regardless of the nature of the deal done before we leave in 2019.

ReputationRep:
    But does mandleson really have the interest in doing so? It would also be a lot easier with a commoner rather than a lord. The moderates just need somebody to get the ball rolling, they're just too scared of a repeat of the SDP despite very different circumstances and lack the Tory brutality to do the job, as demonstrated by their dreadful coup against Corbyn, they went for what they saw as an opportunity rather than timing it right.

The coip shouldn't have been until nexy year at the earliest, probably 18 and new boundaries confirmed would have been best, instead they killec Labour.
    I doubt Mandelson would, he's a bit washed up now anyway and Labour needs someone who can propose solutions for today rather than trying to hark back to 1997, what worked then won't work now.

At the time however, Mandelson was a political genius, who carried out his plan to perfection. Back then Labour had a certain ruthlessness about them, they seemed so comfortable as the government in waiting and for the first few years they really did just seem the natural party of government. Watching highlights of PMQs in the early Blair years, they really used to bully the conservatives, in a way that Cameron did to Labour.
    Now they seem like a protest party, there is no plan for winning.

Interestingly, the 1987 election defeat, run by Mandelson was described as 'the most brilliantly succesful election defeat' ever at the time. It was only 20 seat gains or so, but it was the first dent in the Tories supremacy which for ten years had seemed impossible. Ten years later they achieved the greatest landslide in modern history (I think?!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    The Prince of Darkness making a comeback is an unpleasant thought. His comeback under Gordon Brown did Labour no favours.
    There are plenty of red prince's in the fray. Kinnock is already in parliament and gets media attention fairly often, Euan Blair is expected to run for parliament and Will Straw led the Remain campaign, also expected to run for parliament. I believe Prescott has a son who wants to make a run too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    There are plenty of red prince's in the fray. Kinnock is already in parliament and gets media attention fairly often, Euan Blair is expected to run for parliament and Will Straw led the Remain campaign, also expected to run for parliament. I believe Prescott has a son who wants to make a run too.
    That's not what he meant by prince!

Mandelson apparently liked the nickname 'the Dark Lord'.
    He was absolutely ruthless.

ReputationRep:
    "There is no imposition of the junior doctor contract"
    "Impose the contract or we fine your Trust"

Oh wait

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: jpg 1475931197736.jpg (85.0 KB, 21 views)

ReputationRep:
    For those who don't watch Strictly Come Dancing, I'll just leave this here:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)

fair play to him!!!

ReputationRep:
    fair play to him!!!
    Absolutely and it's nice to see a fun side to him. He seems to be going down well with the public though, loudest standing ovation of the night on the show and he's survived the first public vote.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely and it's nice to see a fun side to him. He seems to be going down well with the public though, loudest standing ovation of the night on the show and he's survived the first public vote.
    It's very rare for the awful one to go early, potentially causing misery and having a good laugh at their expense "saves" the

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yellow and green- the colours of his favourite football team, Norwich City, for whom he is the chairman (and a part-time supporter as I assume he hasn't been to any of their games since being on Strictly).*

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.