UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by * Dain Bramaged *)
does this mean something is wrong with mine then>?? i woudln't mind if there was and i could do it again ha
I very much doubt it, how many sheets of paper do you have? I've got 3 pieces of A4 paper (printed on 1 side only), 1 saying my subtest scores and what the different subtests are testing (VR, QR etc.)

then on the 2nd paragraph a little bit about the non-cognitive analysis and what it is, then information about the 3 separate non-cognitive sections + my results (takes up 2 pages).
angelmxxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
as far as i'm aware, only oxbridge and edinburgh. maybe imperial (past applicants in my school who got offers had 4 As). i would think universities which are more competitive than others (larger applicant to place ratio) would expect applicants to have all As...you've got all As anyway so why are you worried.

not doing as biology does restrict your choices. you might want to have a look at newcastle and leeds. they don't require biology but you need it for gcse. see here; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73672
I'm not worried, I just thought i should try to use my academic strengths + apply to places who think academics are important
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by angelmxxx)
I'm not worried, I just thought i should try to use my academic strengths + apply to places who think academics are important
might want to give cambridge a shot if you have high As at AS.
Faiza.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
does this mean something is wrong with mine then>?? i woudln't mind if there was and i could do it again ha
Lol nah. I got a few lines too written about me. I know quite a few people have had theirs into 3 sections. The way I see it, we've just had different situations or something.
angelmxxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
might want to give cambridge a shot if you have high As at AS.
i've got some really high module marks but also some Bs, which probably wouldn't be too good and i don't think i could cope with their 3years pre-clinical course tbh.
Reicey_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A couple of questions....
If you get a low score, can you re-take the test?
Do you have to answer all the questions, what if you run out of time and are unable to answer them - do you automatically get a lower score?
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reicey_x)
Do you have to answer all the questions, what if you run out of time and are unable to answer them - do you automatically get a lower score?
No you cannot retake that year.
You are at a disadvantage if you dont answer all questions (spending the last minute/30secs guessing the last few can be a good strategy)
angelmxxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reicey_x)
you don't get penalised for not finishing the test, you just don't get any marks for the questions you left blank (obviously). Since there aren't any penalties for getting an answer wrong, definitely guess when you've got 30seconds left!
IndiaRubber
Report 10 years ago
I'm worried ):
x.beth.x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IndiaRubber)
I'm worried ):
I know it's really hard but try not to worry. My worst section was VR because I literally spent the first 10 minutes of the test shaking like a leaf. Even though it's a horrible test to sit the time goes reaally quickly and it's such a relief when it is over!
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well according to that i'll be on 6/7 for the academics...is the bonus point for scoring all A*s?
It doesn't seem like it. From what I can deduce, it says that the bonus point is for academic flair that is NOT recognised by the examination system. So I guess things like golds in chemistry olympiad etc. (or so it seems to me)
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^^
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ye that seems about right to me. has anyone got any idea of something i could take part in/do to try and get the extra point. the chemistry olympiad thing wasn't available at my school. Would something like an academic scholarship at school count? any ideass????
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sanjetti)
It doesn't seem like it. From what I can deduce, it says that the bonus point is for academic flair that is NOT recognised by the examination system. So I guess things like golds in chemistry olympiad etc. (or so it seems to me)
I got gold in the maths challenge thingy. I don't think that's quite the same though. Olympiad sounds so clever :p:
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Raquel//)
I got gold in the maths challenge thingy. I don't think that's quite the same though. Olympiad sounds so clever :p:
That's the sort of thing that's not recognised by an examination system (what I said was just an example). And well done I got a gold once, followed by a silver, nothing and two bronzes...aint too great :p:
Tom4510
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Raquel//)
Right, I'm gonna tell you what mines says.

1. Your responses suggests a stronger self-belief, combined with a more positive and optimistic outlook on life, when compared to the responses of other people. This suggests that you are happy to take on challenges and take initiatives. When you have the expertise and good judgement this is likely to work well, but you may need to beware of being over-optimistic in other circumstances.

2. When compared to the responses of other poeple, your responses suggest a higher desire to make things happen, together with a stronger determination to work towards your goals. Your preferred style tends to be systematic and reliable, making steady progress towards your goals. When taken to the extreme, such a style can becom over-structured, and there may be times when letting go and being a little more flexible would be useful.

3. Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest that you feel more positive about things and are less likely to leet things get on top of you. If you experience set-backs, you may believe that you will bounce back, get over them quickly and remain relatively open and cheerful. This may mean that you tend to cope well under pressure but you may need to consider whether your positive orientation is always realistic.

Anyone else got anything like this?
Yep, I got that. Exact words.

And an average of 652.5, which is good enough if you ask me
IndiaRubber
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by x.beth.x)
I know it's really hard but try not to worry. My worst section was VR because I literally spent the first 10 minutes of the test shaking like a leaf. Even though it's a horrible test to sit the time goes reaally quickly and it's such a relief when it is over!
*hug* thank-you! did you manage to finish the VR? I'm a reapplicant this year and remember guessing through half of it... and getting a good score:eek:

i really really hope it works out. there's an extra pressure to do well now.
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ye that seems about right to me. has anyone got any idea of something i could take part in/do to try and get the extra point. the chemistry olympiad thing wasn't available at my school. Would something like an academic scholarship at school count? any ideass????
anyone?
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sanjetti)
That's the sort of thing that's not recognised by an examination system (what I said was just an example). And well done I got a gold once, followed by a silver, nothing and two bronzes...aint too great :p:
i got a gold for the JUNIOR maths challenge..silver for intermediate...and bronze for advanced...all going downhill for me

anyone?
academic scholarship sounds good...so does discovering a new element.
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i got a gold for the JUNIOR maths challenge..silver for intermediate...and bronze for advanced...all going downhill for me
Bronzes all the way for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (308)
37.47%
No - but I will (64)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.42%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.32%

Watched Threads