Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching it on some Italian channel starting with S, writing is too small to see.

Inter look extremely flat, not turned up so far.

ReputationRep:
    They were lucky that was offside. I just realised that Materazzi is playing and Cordoba is playing as right back :lolwut:. Is that right? Might have something to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    Injuries have really decimated our defence, especially with Samuel being out for the rest of the season.

No wonder we look a shadow of our former selves at the back.

ReputationRep:
    I think Benitez might have something to do with it as well. His team selection is a bit odd... I'm not sure why two CBs are playing as FBs. The defence is also seems to be playing a higher line... I know that Benitez is trying to impose a different style of play but I don't think it suits them very well.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I think Samuel and Maicon are injured. Mourinho didn't really bring any young defenders through, the defence/team is ageing. Probably Mourinho's biggest criticism of his time at Inter and Chelsea. And why some :manutd: fans have qualms with him taking over after Fergie.

Gattuso is so past it. :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    What a GIL though :teeth:

Apparently there's a player at Inter called Davide Santon who's a natural RB, I have no idea why Benitez chose Cordoba over him though.

ReputationRep:
    Gattuso should easily be off, ****ing hairy ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    What a GIL though :teeth:

Apparently there's a player at Inter called Davide Santon who's a natural RB, I have no idea why Benitez chose Cordoba over him though.
    Yeah Santon has loads of hype around him. The first time I saw him was the Milan derby 2 (I think) years ago, I think he played in the CL games against Man Utd and/or Chelsea as well. He's played at LB whenever i've seen him but he's right footed and I think he's better at RB, it's just hard to displace Maicon. The way he was being talked about means I am surprised he isn't playing, especially with Maicon out, but he is only 19 tbf.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen Santon play before, but yeh it is surprising that Benitez chose Cordoba, mind he hasn't been that bad after I started watching.

Chivu on the other hand has had plenty of :lolwut: moments.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a contrast to the past few years.

Rafa messed up tonight, no doubt about it.

ReputationRep:
    I love Rafa

ReputationRep:
    :sigh:

Now 6 points behind leaders Milan.

Rafa seriously needs to sort his team selection choices out...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't watch the derby but flicked on it tonight briefly and saw Julio Cesar on the bench. I know he was injured a while back, is he still unfit or has he fallen out with Rafa? Because he's a real impressive goal keeper imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Yep, I think Samuel and Maicon are injured. Mourinho didn't really bring any young defenders through, the defence/team is ageing. Probably Mourinho's biggest criticism of his time at Inter and Chelsea. And why some :manutd: fans have qualms with him taking over after Fergie.

Gattuso is so past it. :rofl2:
    Perhaps I'm a tad cynical but I always assumed that was kind of intentional on Mourinho's part, a kind of scorched earth policy. Winning is one thing, making sure that the guy that follows will have a difficult time emulating you by leaving him a squad in decline an entirely different pleasure for him.

In other news, Brazil 1970, pretty crap..

ReputationRep:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...510419,00.html

Didn't realise he was 24. Don't know how much an impact he'll make.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting news; does anyone know what the fee ballpark is? I can't help but think he's going to be a "fill in" type player, but it may be useful seeing as Xavi has injury problems.

I guess it's better than paying 50m for Fabregas.

EDIT: I've read 3m?

ReputationRep:
    Circa €4m, apparently. He's a different beast to Xavi, though, and I doubt this will affect any future moves for Cesc.

ReputationRep:
    3 mil isn't bad for PSV since he's out of contract 5 or so months later!

Fabregas saga will start regardless :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Circa €4m, apparently. He's a different beast to Xavi, though, and I doubt this will affect any future moves for Cesc.
    Ah. Do you know what his best position is? I've been reading a few pieces about him and apparently he was used as a deep lying playmaker role at first and can now play in a central attacking role and out wide.

The impression I've got is that his main position was CM, but if not, then if Affelay can play on the left, Iniesta can play centrally, that's a potential solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Ah. Do you know what his best position is? I've been reading a few pieces about him and apparently he was used as a deep lying playmaker role at first and can now play in a central attacking role and out wide.

The impression I've got is that his main position was CM, but if not, then if Affelay can play on the left, Iniesta can play centrally, that's a potential solution.
    I don't know what his best position is, but when I've seen him he's been in the 'hole', with a license to drift to the wings - he has started on the wing a few times. I think this is a move to liberate Iniesta, as you say.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.