Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Hey, what did it say?
    It was to all potential Hertford undergrads saying good luck with meeting our offers and we should expect to hear from them again after results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stjohnpeters)
    I see all these AAA offers, i thought they would ask for 3 A*'s ????
    No, they decided to see how the A* would pan out. For 2012 entry they are asking for A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    It was to all potential Hertford undergrads saying good luck with meeting our offers and we should expect to hear from them again after results
    Ah right, thanks. Long time no speak, how's it going?

ReputationRep:
    No, they decided to see how the A* would pan out. For 2012 entry they are asking for A*s.
    Well thats a ****er

ReputationRep:
    How did they work it before??

Did they only take the people that had 3 A's but 90% UMS??

Has the A* just spelled it out for them or is this very unfair?

ReputationRep:

I can empathise with you here. I should've done A Levels as there isn't really a comparison between 3As and 40 points at IB, which is my offer. And I thought taking the IB would benefit me... silly me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, thanks. Long time no speak, how's it going?
    It's going good. I'm on easterholidays and trying to study but it's too nice outside I'm looking forward to October. What about you?

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure if I've understood your question, but it's just a normal AAA offer, any A (or A*!) will do, UMS are not relevant to whether you meet the offer or not.

Oxford also haven't to date asked for UMS in the application process (unlike Cambridge who have a separate form for this information). Though of course you could include that info on the UCAS form if you wanted to (PS or reference).

Oxford have been seeing how the A* grade worked in practice before introducing it as part of the offer. They are doing so - at least for some courses - for 2011/12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    Got an email from Hertford (Finally!)
    snap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FamousFourTops)
    Oh yeah definitely Yeah, I thought there was so little choice that there wasn't much point in applying to a specific college. Hertford looks lovely though, I think that's were I was secretly hoping I'd end up at first And if you feel comfortable there, then that's definitely the best
    Yes, Prof Mitchell did one of my interviews; the archaeology one, which I felt went far worse. He was nice, but very...I don't know, aloof I suppose; Very much the way you;d think and Oxford tutor would be! He started laughing at me because I didn't know the Queen was also Queen of Canada, and because I couldn't open the door for about 3 minutes. Haha that sounds really embarassing! How were your interviews? Any horror stories?
    Yeah, I'm just Anth at UCL...I know what you mean! I mean, I was sooo happy about Oxford, but I really wasn't sure whether I wanted a more 'normal' uni experience you know? And the course looked so good! But there's such a big gap between thinking about rejecting Oxford, and actually doing it. And that course looks amazing as well
    Did you get a reading list about half a mile long btw? I'm really hoping we can buy some copies at reduced price over there, because it's ridiculous to think we can all afford to buy 30 textbooks which you can't get for the library...Sorry, just ranting a bit
    Haha I definitely know what you mean about him - he had the most incredible accent!! I've got a friend in second year at Magdalen and she told me he's from Rochdale - of all the shocks I've had... I've got nothing against Rochdale, but he does NOT sound like he's from there He wasn't too aloof though, but I suppose I wasn't being interviewed at that point!

Not too many horror stories from my interviews - just the fact that in my second one everything that i seemed to say was wrong, but I suppose I was kind of expecting to be grilled I did get asked about the local archaeology of where I go to school in my interview at Hertford, though. Silly me didn't think to Wikipedia that before I went! I just had to say 'I have no idea'. (thought i'd completely ruined my chances at that point!) But it turned out that the tutor used to be part of some sort of society round there so he was just interested if I knew about it. when I got my offer over the phone, he was like 'we can talk about the archaeology of Northwich now!' ha

Yes i was very much attracted to London!!

You have a reading list?! When did you get that and who from? I've actually kind of wanted to get one of those pretty soon - makes you feel more excited about going I doubt we'll have to read all of the books before we get there will we? Isn't there a second hand booksale in Blackwell's or something? The books are sooo expensive, and its not like you can read about arch and anth that much in the daily news like for PPE or something What's on the reading list?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone having a good Easter?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Mines been boring and completely unproductive :P

You?

ReputationRep:
    Mine's been very productive: I found out that St. John's actually owns the Lamb & Flag pub! Hehe.

Other than that I've been doing mediocre amounts of revision...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04ghicks)
    Mines been boring and completely unproductive :P

You?
    Pretty much the same for me! Just revision really..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganeira)
    I found out that St. John's actually owns the Lamb & Flag pub!
    And funds postgrads with the profits! Cheers, it's all for a good cause
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel*)
    Pretty much the same for me! Just revision really..
    My revision has failed

Though im still optimistic, i'll do it all when I get back to college, I don't know how i'll cope at uni and in the holidays with the break of routine :eek:

ReputationRep:
    My revision has failed

Though im still optimistic, i'll do it all when I get back to college, I don't know how i'll cope at uni and in the holidays with the break of routine :eek:
    I'm slowly loosing the will to revise. Can't wait until exams finish!
    I know, I'm expecting alot of work come October!

ReputationRep:
    My revision has failed

Well, when we have Collections at the start of each term it seems like the incentive to work somewhat during the holiday will be fairly strong, unlike at A Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    Well, when we have Collections at the start of each term it seems like the incentive to work somewhat during the holiday will be fairly strong, unlike at A Level
    :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    This is simply not true!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.