The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Sorry for the digression, but as we all know, the application cycle for 2010 admission is about to begin. For those who will be applying, it would be kind of you to share your grades, universities you'll be applying to, and the course you're interested in.

Haha, it seems that I am also the only one applying to the UK among my friends, so it would be great to meet more people around here.

As for me, I'm applying to KCL, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Manchester for law deferred entry in 2011.
Reply 1301
melsonchun
Sorry for the digression, but as we all know, the application cycle for 2010 admission is about to begin. For those who will be applying, it would be kind of you to share your grades, universities you'll be applying to, and the course you're interested in.

Haha, it seems that I am also the only one applying to the UK among my friends, so it would be great to meet more people around here.

As for me, I'm applying to KCL, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and Manchester for law deferred entry in 2011.

mygoodness. its been a year since i went through that hell phase of ucas? hahah..

anyway to melsonchun: good luck and all the best with your ucas apps.
Reply 1302
hey, i got this really big problem that i was hoping that your might be able to help me with since i assume that your have been through the university admission process already...

In sec 4, i took HCL and somehow i managed to get an E8 because i was sick on the day of the examinations...i was predicted an A2 for the examinations because i got an A2 for the preliminary examinations and the fact that i was from a SAP school... To show that it is a real fluke, i can prove that the worst i ever scored was a C 4 years, never a failure before....

Therefore, i was hoping your can provide me with some solutions as to how do i explain to the admissions committee of the rather outstanding anomaly other than the fact that i was sick...I was thinking of taking the A levels for chinese, but i will be going overseas, so...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreaciated! Thanks
anyone doing Law in UCL for 2009/10...? (:
Reply 1304
I'm headed to Notts to do my LLB 09/10, any1 else here headed to Nottingham U ?
Hermann
hey, i got this really big problem that i was hoping that your might be able to help me with since i assume that your have been through the university admission process already...

In sec 4, i took HCL and somehow i managed to get an E8 because i was sick on the day of the examinations...i was predicted an A2 for the examinations because i got an A2 for the preliminary examinations and the fact that i was from a SAP school... To show that it is a real fluke, i can prove that the worst i ever scored was a C 4 years, never a failure before....

Therefore, i was hoping your can provide me with some solutions as to how do i explain to the admissions committee of the rather outstanding anomaly other than the fact that i was sick...I was thinking of taking the A levels for chinese, but i will be going overseas, so...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreaciated! Thanks

I don't see any relevance of HCL if you're applying to universities in the UK? If you think including it may affect your application, then exclude it?:biggrin:
Helloo. Does anyone know anyone who applied through UCAS primarily using a private diploma? (i.e., from SIM, MDIS, PSB and the like).
gi.
mygoodness. its been a year since i went through that hell phase of ucas? hahah..

anyway to melsonchun: good luck and all the best with your ucas apps.

Haha, just wondering, why would the process be hellish? Did you submit it in a rush or felt that the application process was intimidating? Well, at least you got your KCL law offer? Haha!:biggrin:
Reply 1308
melsonchun
Haha, just wondering, why would the process be hellish? Did you submit it in a rush or felt that the application process was intimidating? Well, at least you got your KCL law offer? Haha!:biggrin:

hahah.. i definitely felt it was hellish. cause the wait for the replies from university was excruciating.. and it was made even worse when you surf through thestudentroom then you see people get offers left and right. and maybe because i applied to universities with LLB standard/cut off offers of 38 points (durham and kcl), and i got 37 points. so was downright nervous.

haha.. the application process was fine. it was The Wait.

but yep. i got my KCL offer already.. so all is done and dusted. phew.
ripeboss
I would looveeeeeeeeeeeeee to go to the UK for uni education. but it's immensely expensive. and my parents would prefer if I stayed in singapore, at least for the basic degree. and get masters overseas. sigh. it all really depends whether i get what i want in singapore.
though i am in love :love: with UK! :heart:

Stay in Singapore!
good day people. need plenty of guidance starting from this posting.

I'm eager to enrol into a university that has good reputation for their civil engineering subject. imperial college and Cambridge seems to be the household name for the relative course, correct me if I'm wrong.

I've drafted out a list of 5 universities for my application namely: imperial , bristol, manchester, leeds and probably shefield or nottingham.

a few questions to ask.

1. i to know if i've exclude any prestigious university from my understanding.

2. i graduated from SP with a 3.5gpa civil diploma and i understand it would be foolish to try attempting imperial but my lecturers and my employer (ex NTU lecturer) pushes me to give it a shot and try to mail politely to the department and make enquires if there are seats available then try to negotiate it from there. is this way possible ?

3. is the next application opens in coming september? can i just cut and paste the referee section from a testimonial written by my lecturer ?

thanks for all big help in advance.
Reply 1311
tanglewire
good day people. need plenty of guidance starting from this posting.

I'm eager to enrol into a university that has good reputation for their civil engineering subject. imperial college and Cambridge seems to be the household name for the relative course, correct me if I'm wrong.

I've drafted out a list of 5 universities for my application namely: imperial , bristol, manchester, leeds and probably shefield or nottingham.

a few questions to ask.

1. i to know if i've exclude any prestigious university from my understanding.

2. i graduated from SP with a 3.5gpa civil diploma and i understand it would be foolish to try attempting imperial but my lecturers and my employer (ex NTU lecturer) pushes me to give it a shot and try to mail politely to the department and make enquires if there are seats available then try to negotiate it from there. is this way possible ?

3. is the next application opens in coming september? can i just cut and paste the referee section from a testimonial written by my lecturer ?

thanks for all big help in advance.

hellooo.

1. imperial and bristol excellent choices for engineering. all 5 choices are decent, so nothing to worry about. unless you wish to include UCL.

2. you should only take this step IF and AFTER you have been rejected, no point negotiating for positions when the proper UCAS application has not been done/received. and it is not foolish to try for imperial, its worth a shot. if you want to study civil engineering, must well try for the one of the best schools in UK.

3. yep the next ucas cycle opens in aug/sept if im not wrong. i think you should just try and contact your lecturer and tailor one that fits into UCAS, cause theres a word/character requirement in UCAS that needs to be adhered to. and tell your lecturer in what aspect you want your lecturer to strongly write about. i would not recommend you 'cutting and pasting' but if you DO cut and paste the testimonial, please do inform your lecturer of your decision and not go about doing it without his notice, cause if ucas were to contact, it would be quite awkward.

hope this answers your question. all the best with your ucas apps then.
how good is ucl for it's civil engineering ?

really apperciate your effort in replying to my enquires.
Reply 1313
hello tanglewire,

I guess I can help you with this because I personally am a poly student. You can PM for more info if you want.

Answers to your questions:

1. You could try Bath? Maybe Southampton and Loughborough.. some universities with strengths in engineering that you might want to take a lot. (My studies is aero eng so I'm not sure about civil)

2. Well you have 5 choices in UCAS so I its no harm putting those choices down. One thing I must stress though is you should (or must) email the admissions tutor your transcripts and ask them of your chances of entering or getting exemptions from 1st year. Out of the choices you put, I would guess manchester, sheffield maybe leeds and nottingham would give you 2nd year direct entry. So you can start emailing now (are you serving NS?) if you plan to enroll this coming year.

3. Yeah if I recall its September or later. You apply through UCAS where they ask you to fill in a big bunch of particulars then submit it. Yes, I cut and paste my testimonial.. you can also tell your account details to your lecturer and ask him to type it in himself :smile:

If you got any more questions, feel free to post them here and send me a PM
awesome.

no possibility of exemption for imperial is understable but it also applies to bristol ?

hey care to share how u actually settle down in a foreign land ? any regrets and are u enjoying your studies and companionship of the people around you ?

how about your accomdation? is it school or private ?
Reply 1315
Hello,

First of all, I have not been to Bristol yet, going to this year (wish me luck.. I think I need a lot of it :P)

Hmm, I guess you can try, no harm asking their admissions tutors, usually they reply within a few days or a week :smile:

I have applied for school accomodation..
oh so you're in the fresher batch of 09 yea ?

you got any exemption from bristol ? was it your firm choice?
Reply 1317
yes I'm going this year.

No exemptions unfortunately, maybe it is a good thing. So are you currently serving NS? (sorry I don't know if you are male or female)
yup. enlisting in 09/09/09.

i'm gonna give a shot on applying this coming september though there's 2 gap years. will email and try securing seat.
Reply 1319
tanglewire
yup. enlisting in 09/09/09.

i'm gonna give a shot on applying this coming september though there's 2 gap years. will email and try securing seat.

all the best to BOTH your ucas apps and national service then.. hahah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending