Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisjokes)
    I'd say Bristol and Bath are probably equal, with Nottingham slightly beneath. It's probably really negligible though, and in terms of employment I can't see there being very much between them. Complete conjecture though, so I have no idea and it's all just my opinion.

What do you think the best universities are for Economics?
    I'd say:

1.Cambridge
    2.LSE
    3.Oxford
    4.Warwick
    5.UCL
    6.Bristol
    7.Bath
    8.Nottingham

With this order, but obviously some are very close. The top 3 are extremely close and go together. Then 4+5 go together without much difference. Finally 6+7+8 go together but with Bristol and Bath (sandwhich) the same and Nottingham just below.

ReputationRep:
    aaaah don't know where to apply.
    From the advice above looks like I won't get into Warwick (but I want to go to UCL)

At the moment its; UCL, York, and Queen Mary's London
    Other ones I like are : Nottingham, Leeds, Birmingham, Sheffield, and Edinburgh

HELP?
    I got AAABC, dropped the B and the C, and resitting the B in Further Maths AS (C was in Spanish ok, it was hard)

ADVICE NEEDED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    I'd say Bristol's on par with Bath tbf, Bristol might be a tiny bit more prestigious according to some but Bath does have a quality placement year which balances it out. Notts, while the uni is good, their Econ course lacks mathematical rigor from what I've seen (you don't even need A Level Maths for example) which is why I'd place it below Bristol and Bath.
    i thought you could tailor the modules you do in the Notts degree so you could end up with either a BSc or a BA ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    i thought you could tailor the modules you do in the Notts degree so you could end up with either a BSc or a BA ?
    Maybe you could but going from what it says on the website you'd only need a GCSE in Maths for entry so I assume they start from a very basic level in the first year.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could but going from what it says on the website you'd only need a GCSE in Maths for entry so I assume they start from a very basic level in the first year.
    Notts have two strings of maths modules. Quantitative economics which don't need the A-Level in Maths. Then there's Mathematical Economics which does want the A-Level in Maths. So I guess it's a Bsc as we know it but it's going that one step further and offering a BA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Notts have two strings of maths modules. Quantitative economics which don't need the A-Level in Maths. Then there's Mathematical Economics which does want the A-Level in Maths. So I guess it's a Bsc as we know it but it's going that one step further and offering a BA.
    There's no mention of A Level Maths, it's strange as it says those without Maths can graduate with a Bsc if they choose the right modules in the later years, I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    I'd say:

1.Cambridge
    2.LSE
    3.Oxford
    4.Warwick
    5.UCL
    6.Bristol
    7.Bath
    8.Nottingham

With this order, but obviously some are very close. The top 3 are extremely close and go together. Then 4+5 go together without much difference. Finally 6+7+8 go together but with Bristol and Bath (sandwhich) the same and Nottingham just below.
    So where does Leeds sit in this list then, let alone a single Scottish or Northern uni?
    Biased list is biased.

ReputationRep:
    It seems Bristol have already started handing out offers :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarlTheOtaku)
    So where does Leeds sit in this list then, let alone a single Scottish or Northern uni?
    Biased list is biased.
    Northern? York at 9th.

This list is biased, I admit to that. However it is my humble opinion since I was asked:
    "What do you think are the best universities for Economics?"
    There are some great Scottish universities for Economics such as St.Andrews and Edinburgh, and they'd probably be around Bristol, Bath and Notts. Truth be told, I actually forgot about them while writing that list.

Where does Leeds sit? Not very highly on my list but hey, that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KarlTheOtaku)
    Biased list is biased.
    At the bottom

ReputationRep:
    Managed to get a prediction bumped up!
    Sitting on A*AA predictions now Gives me a good chance of applying to my preferred university choice!

My UCAS application should now be finalised this week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazzron)
    I don't know specifically what universities don't require it but I'm fairly sure the top 15 unis (for economics) tend to specify needing maths or at least highly recommend it. If you don't take maths then it MAY be a good idea to take BA economics which is less maths oriented compared to Bsc which is very difficult to do if you've not done maths A level. When I went to some open days, economics students were saying that people who didn't take Maths tended struggle a lot. Funnily enough, I took economics, english and chemistry (dropped biology at AS) for A levels. I got a place at Sussex (which, by the way, doesn't require Maths for Bsc even) but it's a deferred entry specifically so I can do a Maths A level which could be another option for you if you really want to do a Bsc course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much! I contacted a few universities and they said there is extra classes for those without maths and I am not too keen on a BA but it would probably be worth while to apply for one anyway. With deferred entry would I still apply for 2014 and just defer my offer? Are taking the maths A level at college?
    Strangely we took exactly the same subjects haha

ReputationRep:
    Personal statement question here:

I'm a big football fan and I am thinking of mentioning the book Soccernomics in my PS. It's not really a economics book as such, but it does vaguely apply some economic ideas to the context of football. Do you think this would be a clever way of linking a sporting and an academic interest or will it just be dismissed as tenuous nonsense?

ReputationRep:
    Have they? That's really early!

ReputationRep:
    How do you know!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    Have they? That's really early!
    (Original post by Giant)
    How do you know!?
    Someone in the Bristol thread claims to have an Econ offer

ReputationRep:
    Someone in the Bristol thread claims to have an Econ offer
    Oh, fine. But I guess they haven't given out too many offers yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    Oh, fine. But I guess they haven't given out too many offers yet.
    I certainly hope not as I'm still yet to send my application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantankerous cod)
    Personal statement question here:

I'm a big football fan and I am thinking of mentioning the book Soccernomics in my PS. It's not really a economics book as such, but it does vaguely apply some economic ideas to the context of football. Do you think this would be a clever way of linking a sporting and an academic interest or will it just be dismissed as tenuous nonsense?
    I would say thats pretty good, as its different from the old 'I also play football.... teamwork... and crap'

So basically combining extra curricular with academics I imagine its pretty difficult, especially as it may distort the structure of your PS in a way.
    Should be pretty good if you pull it off though! Combining your interests with the course you want to apply for !

ReputationRep:
    I certainly hope not as I'm still yet to send my application
    If that was just one person, there is no need to worry.
    Are you sending it this week?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.