Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    THAT WAS THE BEST EPISODE IN YEARS. So brilliant, and oh my god, the Doctor and River, I nearly died. The next series is going to be so fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    But they deliberately hint towards it when they can do something that's not bull****, like last series was 'oh no the Doctor's going to die, jk he doesn't', this series was 'oh no! His name's going to be revealed, jk it isn't really'. I mean for **** sake, Moffat, do something new instead of hint at something that isn't going to happen.
    I expected the episode to be a build up to the special and as such I presume we will find out the name then.

Shame its such a long time to wait but with some luck it should be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I successfully avoided any Hurt spoilers so was very happily surprised.

November 23rd because that's the 50th anniversary for Doctor Who!
    I managed to avoid them too, so tonight was a fantastic revelation.

I know!!!!! I'm so excited for it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    :facepalm: That John Hurt thing at the end was terrible! The actual build up and the reveal was brilliant, the 'Introducing' graphic on the screen was horrible. Who the **** thought that that was a good idea!

The finale was good but it could have been any other episode tbh, it didn't have the feel of a 'finale' mainly because the actual finale of that storyline is going to be the anniversary episode. This was all build up.

Main problem with the episode was Clara wearing tights :sad: Still don't like the Victorian crew and I still find it hard to understand why the Doctor even likes River let alone loves her.
    I love River, I always have. She's my favourite companion bar none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Student)
    I expected the episode to be a build up to the special and as such I presume we will find out the name then.

Shame its such a long time to wait but with some luck it should be good.
    I don't care about them revealing his name, but they take the piss with hinting that stuff is going to happen and then it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Just jumping in here

Something that I wondered if not already mentioned is when River and Clara met at the 'conference'. Understandably, Clara would not have met River living in the mainstream timeline but River, being already dead from the library and having frequently travelled with the Doctor, also acted as if she never met her before plus Vastra explicitly introduced them to each other. Does this suggest that we won't see River anymore (or for a very longtime i.e. post Clara) or Clara isn't going to be in the show for very long? Just speculating on minor details

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly good episode given how poor some of the last 7 have been - definitely looking forward to November 23rd :P

Really liked how Clara's reincarnations were explained and the whole 'graveyard of the TARDIS' setting was pretty cool. The only thing that I'm slightly unsure about is John Hurt being the Doctor, if he's only the Doctor for the 50th special then that could be really cool but I'm less sure about him being the 12th Doctor for an entire series. I really like the romance with Clara and it's hard to see how that could continue with Hurt without it being really creepy.

(Original post by CanineVet)
    Just jumping in here

Something that I wondered if not already mentioned is when River and Clara met at the 'conference'. Understandably, Clara would not have met River living in the mainstream timeline but River, being already dead from the library and having frequently travelled with the Doctor, also acted as if she never met her before plus Vastra explicitly introduced them to each other. Does this suggest that we won't see River anymore (or for a very longtime i.e. post Clara) or Clara isn't going to be in the show for very long? Just speculating on minor details

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I took her reaction to be one of shock which suggested to me that River did know who she was? She definitely viewed her as romantic competition. I think it probaly just wasn't really though through to be honest and I suspect that Clara will be there for a while (until Matt Smith leaves anyway).

ReputationRep:
    just catching up with doctor who after exams an cant believe my lil town got a mention in the crimson horror episoe (apparently the doctor loves pontefract cakes ).

not that interesting for anyone outside of pontefract but I just had to post my joy on hearing it :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotfireLegend)
    Spoiler:
    Show

I am guessing season 8 (? I don't know how the seasons/series work here, but I will say '12th doctor' for simplicity) is going to be a past doctor. It could be a story of conflict, the doctor trying to get his body back and that sort of thing, to work out why he regenerated to a past form. Something like that. Would work very well in the 50th.

Just saying I called it, or was at least very close :P

EDIT:

(Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    :facepalm: That John Hurt thing at the end was terrible! The actual build up and the reveal was brilliant, the 'Introducing' graphic on the screen was horrible. Who the **** thought that that was a good idea!

I think it was put in as the show is targeted to a younger audience, and they wouldn't know who the guy was, but with a name, they can look him up and stuff.

ReputationRep:

Have a feeling this is somewhat relevant

ReputationRep:
    Why the 'introducing John Hurt as the Doctor' at the end? It just took the entire effect away. If you had been living on another planet for decades and didn't know who John Hurt was then just look at the end credits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)

Have a feeling this is somewhat relevant
    Yes true! Would rep but I'm all out :/

ReputationRep:
    187 days.......

ReputationRep:
    The episode wasn't excellent, but it was far better than any other episode this series. It's just a shame that the writers can't utilise Matt Smith's amazing acting more than writing rubbish stories with awful endings.

ReputationRep:
    So, here are my rankings for Series 7 as a whole (bar 2 episodes).

1. Nightmare In Silver
    2. The Name of The Doctor
    3. The Bells of Saint John
    4. Hide
    5. Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
    6. The Power of Three
    7. Cold War
    8. The Rings of Akhaten
    9. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship
    10. The Angels Take Manhattan
    11. Asylum of the Daleks
    12. The Crimson Horror

I haven't seen The Snowmen or A Town Called Mercy so I haven't included them.
    So, agree? Disagree?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a chance to read through the latest comments but I have to say, I was left disappointed by that episode.

I mean, it was was good, really good. One of the best episodes for a while. But with all the build up, I expected to be taken aback but the awesomeness of it... But I wasn't. Maybe I'm just nervous for exams. Maybe it's because I expected a better answer to "Doctor Who?" Actually, I don't even know what the answer was....

As for John Hurt:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I presume he's going to be the Doctor between 8 and 9 but The Doctor refuses to call that incarnation "Doctor" because it killed a lot of people. Something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The only good episodes in the whole series were The Name of The Doctor, Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS and The time agent lost in time (can't remember name of ep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I haven't had a chance to read through the latest comments but I have to say, I was left disappointed by that episode.

I mean, it was was good, really good. One of the best episodes for a while. But with all the build up, I expected to be taken aback but the awesomeness of it... But I wasn't. Maybe I'm just nervous for exams. Maybe it's because I expected a better answer to "Doctor Who?" Actually, I don't even know what the answer was....

As for John Hurt:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I presume he's going to be the Doctor between 8 and 9 but The Doctor refuses to call that incarnation "Doctor" because it killed a lot of people. Something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought the episode was excellent.

I think the biggest issue this episode had was hype. This was the most hyped episode of Doctor Who I have seen in a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. I'm in two minds.

On the one hand, the first 80% of that episode was much of a muchness. It was all a bit rushed.
    But on the other hand, I'm happy Moffat didn't totally change the game for the series.

I'm on the John Hurt = 9th bandwagon.

We know kind of what the Doctor did during the Time War. We know that it was distressing to him and he doesn't talk about it - demonstrated by Ecclestone's fantastically dark performance.

It's a twist I'm intrigued by, and hope the 50th will be an entertaining explanation of exactly what went down during the time war.

My two cents is that they aren't technically renumbering everyone. Hurt is an incarnation of the Doctor, but as he didn't follow the principle of the Doctor (by ending the Time War how he did), he will be the only one that goes by the Doctor's given name.

Brother's out of control speculation below. Just for the lulz:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Timelords choose their own names. The Master? Evil Doctor and everything.

I'm not buying it, but it would be entertaining and would anger loads of people...

Has there been any rumours of Timothy Dalton being in the 50th btw? Would be schweet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    Why the 'introducing John Hurt as the Doctor' at the end? It just took the entire effect away. If you had been living on another planet for decades and didn't know who John Hurt was then just look at the end credits!
    I personally loved that bit. But I can understand why some might find it a bit jarring.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.