Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Paddy, what is your opinion of the EU court forcing British Parliament to debate giving prisoner voting rights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Paddy, what is your opinion of the EU court forcing British Parliament to debate giving prisoner voting rights?
    Aren't you in Labour?

ReputationRep:
    Is there something about Labour members not questioning the leadership?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Is there something about Labour members not questioning the leadership?
    If I wanted to question the Labour Leader then I would send him a message or question him in the sub-forum. I merely find it strange that members would publicly question the leadership like this? It suggests something is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe something is wrong :dontknow:

Dissent in the ranks.

Something is always wrong here. :proud:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    If I wanted to question the Labour Leader then I would send him a message or question him in the sub-forum. I merely find it strange that members would publicly question the leadership like this? It suggests something is wrong.
    Does it? To be honest, I really don't think it's that different from government MP's publicly questioning the PM during PMQ's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaran-j)
    Does it? To be honest, I really don't think it's that different from government MP's publicly questioning the PM during PMQ's.
    Government MPs give questions to the PM which usually are easy and make the Government look good. The question below implies there is some sort of disagreement :confused:

How likely do you think it is that, should they win the next general election, labour will fully reverse the public sector cuts being undertaken by the current government and reverse the anti-poor welfare 'reforms' being proposed?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Government MPs give questions to the PM which usually are easy and make the Government look good. The question below implies there is some sort of disagreement :confused:
    It doesn't (or at least doesn't appear so, to me) imply anything other than the fact that xXedixXx wanted to know paddy's personal opinion on the ECHR ruling. I think you may be reading a little too much into it.

(Original post by Oswy)
    How likely do you think it is that, should they win the next general election, labour will fully reverse the public sector cuts being undertaken by the current government and reverse the anti-poor welfare 'reforms' being proposed?
    Unlikely, unfortunately. However much they rant about the Conservatives actions - I'm sceptical to think that Labour wouldn't have done anything better.

(Original post by Stricof)
    Unlikely, unfortunately. However much they rant about the Conservatives actions - I'm sceptical to think that Labour wouldn't have done anything better.
    And that's my feeling. If I thought labour were prepared to be as radical in defending public services when they got back in as the coalition have been radical in destroying everything I'd be much more supportive. As it is I find myself only voting labour because they aren't the conservative party and can win elections, and that's not a good feeling.

(Original post by Oswy)
    And that's my feeling. If I thought labour were prepared to be as radical in defending public services when they got back in as the coalition have been radical in destroying everything I'd be much more supportive. As it is I find myself only voting labour because they aren't the conservative party and can win elections, and that's not a good feeling.
    The Green Party (C. Lucas) won in my 'home' constituency :king1:
    Slowly but surely. Now we have a foot to wedge the door open. :mmm:

The Green Party (C. Lucas) won in my 'home' constituency :king1:
    Slowly but surely. Now we have a foot to wedge the door open. :mmm:
    Well, in my constituency, Newcastle East, Labour won with a c. 4,500 majority above the Lib-Dems and with three times the votes of the Tories who came third. Communist Party only got 177 votes while the BNP got 1,342 and the Greens 620. So it's a mixed picture.

Insofar as Labour are a 'leftist' party I'm in a solid constituency, and that's at least something, but after that I can't see much else to be hopeful about at the local level.

ReputationRep:
    Huh? What's the issue? I want to see Paddy's response considering his anti EU stance..

Huh? What's the issue? I want to see Paddy's response considering his anti EU stance..
    Ham and Cheese reads too far into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    I doubt it will be too likely that there will be much change. I reckon the VAT rise will probably remain the same and most of the cuts will stay as they are; we may see income tax rise though and a budget which proposes similar cuts but not as deep.

ReputationRep:
    Ham and Cheese reads too far into it.

(Original post by aaran-j)
    It doesn't (or at least doesn't appear so, to me) imply anything other than the fact that xXedixXx wanted to know paddy's personal opinion on the ECHR ruling. I think you may be reading a little too much into it.
    I think I have read too much into this; ignore me :p:

I doubt it will be too likely that there will be much change. I reckon the VAT rise will probably remain the same and most of the cuts will stay as they are; we may see income tax rise though and a budget which proposes similar cuts but not as deep.
    That's pretty sad. Unless Labour offer up something genuinely significant to reverse the damage being done, they will in effect be asking people to vote for them only to do little more than spend five years administering economic and social policy generated by the coalition (bar a little tinkering). I usually vote Labour pragmatically, on the basis that a) Labour are, if only nominally, 'leftist' and b) almost anything is better than a Tory government. But if what you say is true, then both of these reasons fall a bit flat.

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    That's pretty sad. Unless Labour offer up something genuinely significant to reverse the damage being done, they will in effect be asking people to vote for them only to do little more than spend five years administering economic and social policy generated by the coalition (bar a little tinkering). I usually vote Labour pragmatically, on the basis that a) Labour are, if only nominally, 'leftist' and b) almost anything is better than a Tory government. But if what you say is true, then both of these reasons fall a bit flat.

Opinions?
    I agree but what choice do we have. I would love for us not to make any cuts at all and be able to spend freely but realistically any government will have to raise taxes, make cuts or a combination of the both. I think in economic times like this parties tend to look in the national interest rather than party interest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.