Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys...:confused: just a day to go...couldn't sleep last night... My PS is just about 47 lines,but they say the website might have different font size.. Hope I'll b able to fit it in..M really tensed with the application... Not confident at all to get on the course..but I really want to...

I was wondering if anyone can help me about some reading material for literacy..apart from the education website and pat Moore 's book plz??
    Good luck to all...xx

ReputationRep:
    Getting nervous now!
    Do you think we have to have applications in tomorrow to be in with a chance? One of my references isn't sorted yet (see them on Monday) and I want to make sure my application is perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Getting nervous now!
    Do you think we have to have applications in tomorrow to be in with a chance? One of my references isn't sorted yet (see them on Monday) and I want to make sure my application is perfect.
    Hi, No you definitely don't need to have your application in tomorrow to be in with a chance. Chances are UCAS will keep crashing throughout the day.

The PGCE admissions lady at my preferred uni said just get your application in as soon as YOU can. People have sent them in two weeks after the site opens and have been on the PGCE course.

Make sure you are comfortable with your application before you submit it, and don't just submit it tomorrow because it's the first day.

Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Hi, No you definitely don't need to have your application in tomorrow to be in with a chance. Chances are UCAS will keep crashing throughout the day.

The PGCE admissions lady at my preferred uni said just get your application in as soon as YOU can. People have sent them in two weeks after the site opens and have been on the PGCE course.

Make sure you are comfortable with your application before you submit it, and don't just submit it tomorrow because it's the first day.

Hope this helps x
    This makes me feel so much better! Thanks. I guess I an just stressing a little bit. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling very nervous right now. Yesterday I had a meeting with one of my personal tutors (who teaches on the Hull Early Years PGCE) and she said that they've been informed that their PGCE places have been cut in half to make way for Schools Direct. Got a PGCE talk today where they're going to be discussing this further, but it's not exactly great motivation! I emailed a potential referee on Monday evening and she hasn't got back to me yet, so I'm starting to worry about that too. I don't have a back-up reference and I have no idea what I'll do if she doesn't get back to me soon. Ahhh! To top it all off I'm on placement tomorrow and the day after so I can't get my application started straight away gives me a chance to chase up my referee though...

ReputationRep:
    PS has anyone noticed a possible change to wording on the UCAS reference page? It says that "If you're providing a reference from a school where you have been employed or have done classroom observation, it should generally come from the headteacher."

This doesn't seem as strict as everyone was saying before. Possibly it means that we're able to use another teacher if we have to. I'd still check with individual providers though.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Getting nervous now!
    Not at all. It says on the UCAS website that all courses must be open for at least two weeks, and any admissions tutors I've talked to have said that any time in November is definitely fine. Plus, knowing UCAS, the website is likely to crash an awful lot for most of tomorrow. I plan on sending off my application on either Saturday or next Wednesday (the only two days I have free time enough to complete the application).

(Original post by alabelle)
    PS has anyone noticed a possible change to wording on the UCAS reference page? It says that "If you're providing a reference from a school where you have been employed or have done classroom observation, it should generally come from the headteacher."

This doesn't seem as strict as everyone was saying before. Possibly it means that we're able to use another teacher if we have to. I'd still check with individual providers though.
    In most cases, you can ask the teacher who knows you best to write a reference and get the headteacher to sign it (use the headteacher's details on the reference form). I don't know anyone who's had a problem with that.

------------------

With applications opening tomorrow, I'm starting to get a little edgy about which universities I'll be applying to. Kings, IoE and Greenwich, as I want to stay in London (the first two are attractive to me, and Greenwich is a minute from my house). But looking at the websites only Kings sounds like somewhere I'd really like to go, and they only have an intake of 10 (I'm applying for PGCE Physics with Mathematics).

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I have checked with individual providers. Derby have said that any teacher is fine but Leicester want it to come through the head.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when the referee's have to send in their references? Mine can only do it in December :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CM19)
    Anyone know when the referee's have to send in their references? Mine can only do it in December :s
    I don't think they have a deadline as such, just that the quicker they do it then the higher chance you'll be picked for interview quickly as from what I've heard from my chosen Universities they won't look at your application until it's complete with references.

I have no worries about one of my references being very quick, the other is a bit of a procastinator though so I'll be a monkey on her back til it's sent off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelanieKR)
    I don't think they have a deadline as such, just that the quicker they do it then the higher chance you'll be picked for interview quickly as from what I've heard from my chosen Universities they won't look at your application until it's complete with references.

I have no worries about one of my references being very quick, the other is a bit of a procastinator though so I'll be a monkey on her back til it's sent off.
    Oh how annoying! Not much I can do about it now anyway. I think both of mine are rather busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CM19)
    Oh how annoying! Not much I can do about it now anyway. I think both of mine are rather busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They get a reminder sent to them after two weeks, so maybe that will give them a hint!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    They get a reminder sent to them after two weeks, so maybe that will give them a hint!
    Brilliant thanks, just to confirm it is an actual written reference and not a questionnaire type thing isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CM19)
    Brilliant thanks, just to confirm it is an actual written reference and not a questionnaire type thing isn't it?
    Yep it's a written reference from both. They have up to 42 lines, which is rather a lot so I don't think they'd need to worry about breaking that limit

ReputationRep:
    My tutor at uni who is writing my reference looked over my personal statement and said it was good but I just need to add in what I can bring to teaching..e.g. Hardworking etc. anyone have any tips on how I can write this within 3-4 lines ? Like I just need a way of starting it off. It will be my last paragraph and so far I've said why I want to teach and talked about my work experience... Any help would be great thanks!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Yep it's a written reference from both. They have up to 42 lines, which is rather a lot so I don't think they'd need to worry about breaking that limit
    I think they'd rather it be shorter oh well I can only try! Still have January admissions anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    My tutor at uni who is writing my reference looked over my personal statement and said it was good but I just need to add in what I can bring to teaching..e.g. Hardworking etc. anyone have any tips on how I can write this within 3-4 lines ? Like I just need a way of starting it off. It will be my last paragraph and so far I've said why I want to teach and talked about my work experience... Any help would be great thanks!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hardworking could be shown if you do other things outside of university (plus time management and organisation)

For example in mine, I have said that I complete my degree to a good standard alongside volunteering at school and brownies, being my course representative and holding down a part time job.

I have said this shows I am able to work hard under pressure as well as maintaining good time management and organisation?

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CM19)
    I think they'd rather it be shorter oh well I can only try! Still have January admissions anyway!
    As above. Anything outside of school/uni/work. Did you work whilst at uni? Whilst working did you do any studying? Did/have you volunteered, completed in sports etc whilst at work/uni. Do you have a family? I did a postgrad course whilst working and completed in a sport internationally. Basically you want to say, 'hey look at me, I'm a not an one trick pony who can 'only' work/study'. I say 'only' as some jobs are full on and you're working 60 odd hour weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)
    Hardworking could be shown if you do other things outside of university (plus time management and organisation)

For example in mine, I have said that I complete my degree to a good standard alongside volunteering at school and brownies, being my course representative and holding down a part time job.

I have said this shows I am able to work hard under pressure as well as maintaining good time management and organisation?

Hope that helps.
    I have said that but I haven't said specifically that I volunteer and have a part-time job cos I don't have the lines too. I've wrote my experience inside and outside the classroom..hoping that they look at my work experience section. And then said what skills I've gained and related it to teaching.

Thanks for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Need some advice. My careers service said I could do with adding this in:

- and if there are any additional things you could potentially contribute to school life beyond your subject area. Possible things to consider might be how your politics degree could relate to 'Citizenship' teaching.

I have literally no more room for this. Would you say this is 100% necessary?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.