Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gavan)
    Is there a way to make a Birmingham ChemEng group on here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We could start a thread I think....should I try and start one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by githz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah go for it definitely! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional offer to study economics bsc which im really happy about but I have a dilemma. I also have a conditional offer from UCL which is A*AA, im confident that I can get the grades but I have a tendency to choke in exams (I go in after getting 90-100 in pas papers to just jettisoning all the information out of my head when I take my seat in the exam hall). Both unis are great but I dont know if I should show some balls and go for UCL firm or take the unconditional. Any advice from anyone who is or has been in this situation would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan95)
    I have an unconditional offer to study economics bsc which im really happy about but I have a dilemma. I also have a conditional offer from UCL which is A*AA, im confident that I can get the grades but I have a tendency to choke in exams (I go in after getting 90-100 in pas papers to just jettisoning all the information out of my head when I take my seat in the exam hall). Both unis are great but I dont know if I should show some balls and go for UCL firm or take the unconditional. Any advice from anyone who is or has been in this situation would be appreciated.
    Have you looked around both unis? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evie2014)
    Have you looked around both unis? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep they're both fantastic but im just aware of peoples views of prestige at UCL and UCL's strong links with financial instutions in the city of london.

ReputationRep:
    Have Birmingham as your insurance, the conditional offer must be very achievable for you, then the decision will be made for you.
    If you fly high with your exams you go to UCL, if you fluff them a little you go to Birmingham.What have you got to lose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by githz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah that would be cool. Go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Created the thread! Birmingham Chemical Engineers 2014 Entry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2650534

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is there a University of birmingham Freshers 2014 Facebook page yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daisymydarling)
    Is there a University of birmingham Freshers 2014 Facebook page yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh just search it up and you'll find it I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep they're both fantastic but im just aware of peoples views of prestige at UCL and UCL's strong links with financial instutions in the city of london.
    I had offers from unis higher up the league tables than Birmingham, but I knew on the open day that it kind of felt right for me at Birmingham? Do you not personally prefer one over the over? Obviously UCL is also a fantastic uni, but they're both very different; do you want campus or city?
    If you can think that you can get your exam nerves under control and you prefer UCL, firm UCL. If you like Birmingham enough, firm them, and know that even if your nerves get the better of you, you're still going to uni.
    I got told that if you're nervous for something such as an exam, you shouldn't try to calm yourself down, but try to get excited for the it (sounds weird, but it works!), because going from nervous to excited is much easier than going from nervous to calm. I'm the annoying person before exams jumping up and down with my notes outside the exam room, pumping myself up for the exam haha

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cobbler)
    Have Birmingham as your insurance, the conditional offer must be very achievable for you, then the decision will be made for you.
    If you fly high with your exams you go to UCL, if you fluff them a little you go to Birmingham.What have you got to lose?
    Birmingham offer is unconditional if I make it my firm, conditional if not.

ReputationRep:
    What's your offer for Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    by any chance is anyone doing policy of sociology? haven't found anyone on my course yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corax)
    What's your offer for Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AAA OR unconditional if firmed

ReputationRep:
    AAA OR unconditional if firmed
    Ah right so not too different from your UCL offer then in terms of grades needed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mine too. It was only AAB if I made it my insurance though and if I'd gotten an offer from Oxford I would have def made it my insurance, I preferred it over Nottingham, Leeds and Liverpool. As it is I was rejected from O and firmed it in January.
    My point is that if you make UCL your firm and get the grades, you go there but if you miss it and get the grades needed for Birmingham, your insurance, you go there. That way you have the decision made for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cobbler)
    Mine too. It was only AAB if I made it my insurance though and if I'd gotten an offer from Oxford I would have def made it my insurance, I preferred it over Nottingham, Leeds and Liverpool. As it is I was rejected from O and firmed it in January.
    My point is that if you make UCL your firm and get the grades, you go there but if you miss it and get the grades needed for Birmingham, your insurance, you go there. That way you have the decision made for you.
    Am I just overthinking this?....

ReputationRep:
    Am I just overthinking this?....
    Maybe a little. It is a massive decision though.
    TBH, I've known hundreds of Uni students and they all love the university they eventually ended up at and sing it's praises loudly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.