Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Don't get too bogged down on a college - I was interviewed at my first choice but got an Open Offer so still don't know to which one I'm going!
    (Also my college choice was based on which one I stayed at for Open Day, which was chosen on the basis of free breakfast.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it will be exciting to find out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    UMS isn't important - put it in by all means in the reference but it probably wouldn't do much.

Your GCSEs are good, so your chances would depend on your MAT score.
    Do you have a good chance with AAAB at AS and a high MAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Do you have a good chance with AAAB at AS and a high MAT?
    AAAB is fine - for Maths shortlisting for interview is based on GCSEs and the MAT.

ReputationRep:
    AAAB is fine - for Maths shortlisting for interview is based on GCSEs and the MAT.
    Really?! Where did you get that information from?

ReputationRep:
    How about AABB for EP?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rvas)
    Hi, I'm applying for EP too :-) There is no 'minimum' in terms of AS grades, however you should probably have grades that indicate you'd be able to make the offer of A*AA when it comes to your Year 13 exams. I believe it's also important to have AS grades that match your predicted grades (i.e. not having CCCC at AS and then being predicted A*A*A for A2) For TSA, there is no specific score, but in 2012 one of the colleges said that for PPE their minimum to interview was around 61. Hope this helps! Out of curiosity, what internship have you done and what books did you read?
    The internship I've done is joining a psychology community and posting articles four times a month which leads to discussions and research. I am currently reading Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman and I read The power of your subconscious mind by Joseph Murphy way back when I was younger. Are these strong enough ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    Really?! Where did you get that information from?
    Experience and the Maths department website. The MAT is the most important but the number of A*s at GCSE is also used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.safar4)
    How about AABB for EP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There really are no minimum AS grades needed. AABB shows you could realistically reach A*AA so there's no issue with them.

The TSA will be very important, alongside GCSEs and your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.safar4)
    The internship I've done is joining a psychology community and posting articles four times a month which leads to discussions and research. I am currently reading Thinking, fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman and I read The power of your subconscious mind by Joseph Murphy way back when I was younger. Are these strong enough ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anything you do that shows interest should be useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    The Cambridge one is up already . . . ! And here is the general 2016 thread for applying to university -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56421493&highli ght=

Copy and paste this and fill it in below!

GCSE grades: 3A*s (R.S., Maths and Physics), 5As (Biology, Latin, English Language, English Literature and History) and a B (French
    A-Levels: OCR Economics, Edexcel Government and Politics, Edexcel History and OCR Religious Studies
    Course: Theology and Religion
    College: Probably Oriel College

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good luck all for results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rvas)
    Anything you do that shows interest should be useful!
    Thank you 😁😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks! Initially I was going to apply to cambridge, but after some deep thought and weighing up my preferences across the course materials, I have decided to apply to Oxford instead.
    I'm a mature student, turning 28 in 6 days time I'm applying for Oriental studies with the focus on Chinese BA. I'm applying with Open Uni credits, so far I have 60 at Pass grade 2, and will be earning another 60 this year, hoping for a Pass grade 2 or Distinction in at least one of my modules Been out for formal education otherwise since my AS Levels, which went horribly wrong due to illness. Travelled, worked and done non-standard certified courses in the meantime to continue improving myself until I was in position to get back into formal education.

It's lovely to meet other applicants x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    Hi folks! Initially I was going to apply to cambridge, but after some deep thought and weighing up my preferences across the course materials, I have decided to apply to Oxford instead.
    I'm a mature student, turning 28 in 6 days time I'm applying for Oriental studies with the focus on Chinese BA. I'm applying with Open Uni credits, so far I have 60 at Pass grade 2, and will be earning another 60 this year, hoping for a Pass grade 2 or Distinction in at least one of my modules Been out for formal education otherwise since my AS Levels, which went horribly wrong due to illness. Travelled, worked and done non-standard certified courses in the meantime to continue improving myself until I was in position to get back into formal education.

It's lovely to meet other applicants x
    Are you thinking of applying to Harris Manchester?:-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googolplexity)
    Are you thinking of applying to Harris Manchester?:-)
    Yes! That is my first choice as it makes most sense to me being older to choose the mature college. I had a sneaky peek at the Harris Manchester college thread but it looked very quiet! Are you applying there, too?
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Looking for some advice. So I am expecting to collect A2 results next week and have a dilemma. I have a place at UCL to read Politics and Eastern European studies (AAA), but I am thinking of re applying to Oxford.

I applied for HSPS at Cambridge last year and got to interview, but my heart was never in it as it was the wrong course for me. I am now thinking of applying for History and Politics (AAA).

Some quick questions; with GCSE's of 6 A stars and 4 A's as well as three A's at A2, would this be viable? I have heard that when re-applying, Oxford often look for an A star?

Secondly, on their website, they say that if they think you are a good candidate, they will offer you a place for History. How often does this happen, and is it worth applying purely for History due to the admission statistics?

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    2A*
    6A
    2B

Hopefully AAAA at AS in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry

Want to study Physics

Lincoln college seems nice but i'll probably do an open application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IIEquinoxII)
    2A*
    6A
    2B

Hopefully AAAA at AS in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry

Want to study Physics

Lincoln college seems nice but i'll probably do an open application
    PAT test is gonna **** me over though, i can feel it

ReputationRep:
    IS it true that in order to get in from a public school you need like 11A*s but to get in from a state school you can have like Bs and Cs and GCSE? I have 2A*s and 9As at GCSE and am from a public school and applying to Law - I have a really good personal statement and should do well in the LNAT, should i still apply? and do I have a good chance or are they pretty slim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    IS it true that in order to get in from a public school you need like 11A*s but to get in from a state school you can have like Bs and Cs and GCSE? I have 2A*s and 9As at GCSE and am from a public school and applying to Law - I have a really good personal statement and should do well in the LNAT, should i still apply? and do I have a good chance or are they pretty slim?
    From everything I've read about Oxford on their own website, there is absolutely no difference to the requirements, regardless of education background (state or private) and the offers are a standardised AAA-A*AA for most subjects, and good results for LNAT is a MUST for Law applicants. There is no reason for you not to apply x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    This is how they use contextual information - so people who fulfil those criteria will be given a leg up in getting an interview, but won't be given easy offers or anything like that.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.