Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's tough, waiting this long. If I were to float the idea of getting an offer, do I even feel like I deserve it now? So reluctant does the dept seem - or at least feel - it's hard to feel positive even at the thought.

Guess you just gotta grab it all by the balls and do your best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razeak)
    It's tough, waiting this long. If I were to float the idea of getting an offer, do I even feel like I deserve it now? So reluctant does the dept seem - or at least feel - it's hard to feel positive even at the thought.

What a nightmare! I seriously have everything crossed…I can't believe they are dragging it out for this long

ReputationRep:

Scrap that attitude! If I get an offer I fully intend to do some ball grabbing! So should you!

Whatever happens, if we get an offer (which i hope and pray we both do) we would still be in the 160/~2000. Thats how im thinking about it... i just want the chance

ReputationRep:

I feel the same, it's difficult to remain positive - even though potentially there are still offers available.

However, what I am holding onto is that, if I'm unsuccessful hopefully the feedback from this interview will be really helpful in terms of reapplying next year (other medical schools do not seem to give much post-interview feedback if any).

But hopefully we will hear soon!

ReputationRep:
    Offer just came through this second. They're still coming so don't give up hope!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TouchWood)
    Scrap that attitude! If I get an offer I fully intend to do some ball grabbing! So should you!

Whatever happens, if we get an offer (which i hope and pray we both do) we would still be in the 160/~2000. Thats how im thinking about it... i just want the chance
    Apparently I can't repp you without repping some other members first...

That's a great way of looking at it, thanks. If we do get offers though seriously we'll smash Urology :smartass:

ReputationRep:
    So do we think all of the offers have gone out as predicted or have they slowed down as much as it seems on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E.Mackz)
    So do we think all of the offers have gone out as predicted or have they slowed down as much as it seems on here?
    I think they've gotten through the bulk of the definitelys and are now onto the maybes.

It could very well be that the majority of TSR users fall into the definitely category and so it seems disproportionate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Get in! Great news Have you joined the FB group?

Thanks, waiting the weekend was worth it! Yes I joined earlier today

ReputationRep:
    Just phoned in because in everyone else's case it seems to have sped up the process, and the guy on the line said that they were still deciding on me.

Also said that I should hear within the next few days but no guarantee.

Don't know what else I expected to hear.

ReputationRep:
    Just phoned in because in everyone else's case it seems to have sped up the process, and the guy on the line said that they were still deciding on me.

Also said that I should hear within the next few days but no guarantee.

Don't know what else I expected to hear.
    I did the exact same thing a few minutes ago and must have spoken to the same person :/ oh well

ReputationRep:
    I did the exact same thing a few minutes ago and must have spoken to the same person :/ oh well
    We'll make it through, one refresh at a time.

ReputationRep:
    At least the sorrow has worn off at this point, I think I'll be ok with whatever decision they make now

ReputationRep:
    At least the sorrow has worn off at this point, I think I'll be ok with whatever decision they make now
    Urgh... tell me about it.

I feel like being put on the Hold list might be even worse now... I couldn't stand the thought of more waiting!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to everyone with offers!! But don't give up to all that did not, be positive!!! I went to the Warwick (it's my favourite uni for GEM) open day on Monday, and it seemed as though their favourite type of work experience for people to have is care home roles and HCA. They seemed half against/ half unsure of St. John's first aid roles and I was just wondering if that reflected on most you guys receiving offers and invites to interview. I have been struggling to get a job in a care home since last year as I don't have a NVQ and I was wondering if it will reduce my chance of being selected for and interview...? I've also had no luck finding HCA roles because of the same reason Any responses will help what kinds of WEX did you guys get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renren95)
    Congratulations to everyone with offers!! But don't give up to all that did not, be positive!!! I went to the Warwick (it's my favourite uni for GEM) open day on Monday, and it seemed as though their favourite type of work experience for people to have is care home roles and HCA. They seemed half against/ half unsure of St. John's first aid roles and I was just wondering if that reflected on most you guys receiving offers and invites to interview. I have been struggling to get a job in a care home since last year as I don't have a NVQ and I was wondering if it will reduce my chance of being selected for and interview...? I've also had no luck finding HCA roles because of the same reason Any responses will help what kinds of WEX did you guys get?
    Care homes usually have some quite highly dependent people, so they vet their staff quite carefully. Volunteering is usually a good way in, try residential homes also. I've found hospitals to be more open to training staff up as long as you have the basic soft skills and can demonstrate that.

ReputationRep:
    I have experience as a care assistant in a nursing home and talked about it in my PS/ at interview etc. It has been really good experience and I feel I've learned a lot from it, but if you can't get a job in one, I think volunteering could be really good. You'd probably be able to get involved with some roles like feeding, but probably nothing too personal. You'd also have more opportunity to talk to residents than care staff sometimes do.

I got my job by going in as a bank worker. I don't have any care qualifications, but because I wasn't full time/ contracted they weren't too concerned. Perhaps try a few local nursing homes and see if this is possible? Contrary to what Zorg said, I've found hospitals more difficult to get work at, but wherever you end up I'm sure it'll be good experience!

ReputationRep:
    My WEX consists of being a red cross first assist aider, helping the Alzheimers society at their singing for the brain groups and some volunteer work with my local riding for disabled group. I only had 3 days shadowing in a hospital.

I got 4 offers this year but then for the King's, Newcastle and Warwick interviews I also drew on examples from my work as an engineer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey, out of interest did Warwick say why they aren't so sure about voluntary work as a First Aider with St John Ambulance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nug)
    My WEX consists of being a red cross first assist aider, helping the Alzheimers society at their singing for the brain groups and some volunteer work with my local riding for disabled group. I only had 3 days shadowing in a hospital.

I got 4 offers this year but then for the King's, Newcastle and Warwick interviews I also drew on examples from my work as an engineer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Happy for you that you ended up getting four! definitely firming notts?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.