Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniellj)
    When were using ln(x) do we have to put ln|x| as in ln modulus of x because our maths teachers getting stressy saying we have to otherwise we lose marks
    You won't lose marks, look at the mark schemes, they never have ln|x|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonnyss)
    When solving for x

eg. tanxcos2x=2cos2x
    tanxcos2x-2cos2x=0

do u factorise cos2x out: cos2x(tanx−2)=0

or do you cancel cos2x out: tanx-2=0 to then get tanx=2

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? ???????????
    You factorise cos2x out leaving you with: cos2x(tanx-2)=0

Then you know that cos2x=0 and tanx-2=0

ReputationRep:
    could someone please explain 4d?
    https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a669...%20Edexcel.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask for part b of this question why it isn't:

-(x-a) = 3x + 5a

For where the positive part of the graph meets the negative part help please Solomon paper L Q6)

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434026108.479254.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  146.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for 90 ums tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody please give me a quick rundown on finding the domain/range of a function?

ReputationRep:
    Do i lose method mark if i do quotient rules and product rule in my head and skip let xxx=u let yyy=v du/dx=something dv/dx=something ??

ReputationRep:
    What past papers do people think this exam will most likely resemble?? Anyone have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    What's the hardest paper? I've done all the Solomon and elmwood, but haven't really done any of the actually papers. Which years should I do?

ReputationRep:
    try june 2013

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gregsey28)
    What's the hardest paper? I've done all the Solomon and elmwood, but haven't really done any of the actually papers. Which years should I do?
    Definitely June 13 and 14, probs the hardest of the normal papers

ReputationRep:
    try june 2013 btw where are the elmwood paper?

ReputationRep:
    June 2013 is by far the hardest, you only needed 57/75 for 90 UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adorablegirl1202)
    could someone please explain 4d?
    https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a669...%20Edexcel.pdf
    There is a diagram which shows f(x)=2|3-x|+5

You know if f(x)=k this would be a horizontal line intersecting the y-axis at k.
    You've been told in the question that f(x)=k has exactly two roots, therefore f(x)=k must intersect f(x)=2|3-x|+5 twice.

From the diagram you can tell that a horizontal line which crosses f(x)=2|3-x|+5 twice must be greater than the minimum value (the bottom of the v shape) and must be less or equal to where f(x)=2|3-x|+5 crosses the y-axis. A horizontal line (f(x)=k) between these points would intersect twice therefore (f(x)=k) would have exactly two roots.

So you must find the minimum value and the value where it crosses the y-axis. then you know that k would be greater than the minimum but less than or equal to the value where it crosses the y-axis.

Hope this helps (its quite hard to explain but i've done my best to simplify it down).

ReputationRep:
    Which is the hardest elmwood paper?

ReputationRep:
    f(x) = 2[3-x]+5
    at the root x=0 therefore f(0) ---> f(x) = 11
    so k<= 11
    since ---> f(x)=k ---> 2[3-x]+5=k
    2[3-x]=k-5 so k>5
    so 5<k<=11

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  89.6 KB Can someone explain to my why on C g(x^2) =ln2x^2 and g(x^3)=ln2x^3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1122ag)
    There is a diagram which shows f(x)=2|3-x|+5

You know if f(x)=k this would be a horizontal line intersecting the y-axis at k.
    You've been told in the question that f(x)=k has exactly two roots, therefore f(x)=k must intersect f(x)=2|3-x|+5 twice.

From the diagram you can tell that a horizontal line which crosses f(x)=2|3-x|+5 twice must be greater than the minimum value (the bottom of the v shape) and must be less or equal to where f(x)=2|3-x|+5 crosses the y-axis. A horizontal line (f(x)=k) between these points would intersect twice therefore (f(x)=k) would have exactly two roots.

So you must find the minimum value and the value where it crosses the y-axis. then you know that k would be greater than the minimum but less than or equal to the value where it crosses the y-axis.

Hope this helps (its quite hard to explain but i've done my best to simplify it down).
    Ah thanks, i get it! I know that we would find the point it intersects the x axis by x = 0, how about the minimum point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMystics)
    Do i lose method mark if i do quotient rules and product rule in my head and skip let xxx=u let yyy=v du/dx=something dv/dx=something ??
    If you get the answer right you won't lose any marks - but if the answer is wrong and the working isn't there the examiner won't be able to award you the marks for the working

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me how to work out angles using cos? DO you add 360 or do 360 - PV?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2016

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.