Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsukurutazaki)
    I applied for an MPhil in POLIS. It's four months today since I applied and I'm still 'under consideration'. It would be nice if I had a vague idea of when I'd hear back, so that I could stop checking every day.
    What MPhil did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    I had my CB MPhil interview last Friday through Skype. It's nothing to worry about, I come from a mathematics background and was worried I'd be asked to solve some statistical problems but there was nothing of that sort for me. Just have the general why you want this course (and your chosen college if you picked one) prepared and have a few questions that you can ask (I had a few about the project). I was also asked about some of my worse grades from the past 3 years, and what we did in those courses i.e. what was it that I found difficult. Mine lasted around 20 minutes but I think I was the last call of the day, so you'll be talking 15-20 minutes. Best of luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsukurutazaki)
    I applied for an MPhil in POLIS. It's four months today since I applied and I'm still 'under consideration'. It would be nice if I had a vague idea of when I'd hear back, so that I could stop checking every day.
    The majority of Offers of Admission are made in February and March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Ah, both great choices! All the best :thumbsup:

Out of interest, did your dad like it at Girton? :teehee:
    It's been a long time since he was there, but I guess he liked it! Except that it was slightly in the outskirts.

(Original post by Impune)
    Wooo! Go John's! Why didn't you pick it first since its your first choice?

Girton looks beautiful, and I think it's postgrads actually live in the Wolfson building (not to be confused with Wolfson College) just across the street from Sidgwick. So really not a bad place to be if you're studying humanities/social sciences.
    I think cause Trinity had some funding to offer under the Cambridge Trust

Is anyone's application 'Under Consideration by College' at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flypusher)
    Yay! I am very happy for you! Yes, there is a lot to be done still, college membership, funding, visa etc...
    Any news about College? Mine says under consideration by college

ReputationRep:
    I am writing an update for the MPhil in Finance and Economics course. My friend received a conditional offer last week. My status has just changed to "waiting decision from the graduate board of studies". Both of us are from Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the PhD in Asian and Middle Eastern studies. Had an interview two weeks ago, and have a very good relationship with potential supervisor. As per Grad Cafe, most of the offers from this department come out around the 31st of Jan- 3rd February, and I'm still stuck at "consideration by degree committee stage."

I'm wondering if anyone gets to BoGS without their self service being updated. Also, it's taking quite a lot to not completely implode.

ReputationRep:
    I would think, at least at this stage, no news is good news.

(Original post by Sepharadim)
    I applied for the PhD in Asian and Middle Eastern studies. Had an interview two weeks ago, and have a very good relationship with potential supervisor. As per Grad Cafe, most of the offers from this department come out around the 31st of Jan- 3rd February, and I'm still stuck at "consideration by degree committee stage."

I'm wondering if anyone gets to BoGS without their self service being updated. Also, it's taking quite a lot to not completely implode.

ReputationRep:

The PhD in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies is under POLIS, right? I assume the POLIS department makes the decision for all the Centres under it as well. So far, it doesn't seem like anybody on here has recieved a PhD offer from the department. I'm in the same boat as you - though still stuck at department stage on Camsis. I didn't have an interview with a supervisor because my potential supervisor already interviewed me prior to application, so I'm assuming she wouldn't want to interview me again if she already gets a sense of whether or not I am a good fit.

ReputationRep:
    Also, it's taking quite a lot to not completely implode.
    You'll have to wait for funding, college offer, and accommodation after your offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You'll have to wait for funding, college offer, and accommodation after your offer.
    Haha. Why do I get the feeling you get a sick pleasure out of reminding the anxious of that fact?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbypin)
    The PhD in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies is under POLIS, right? I assume the POLIS department makes the decision for all the Centres under it as well. So far, it doesn't seem like anybody on here has recieved a PhD offer from the department. I'm in the same boat as you - though still stuck at department stage on Camsis. I didn't have an interview with a supervisor because my potential supervisor already interviewed me prior to application, so I'm assuming she wouldn't want to interview me again if she already gets a sense of whether or not I am a good fit.
    No, its AMES. That's its own entity, not a centre under any other one.

ReputationRep:
    Haha. Why do I get the feeling you get a sick pleasure out of reminding the anxious of that fact?
    :mwuaha:

This is my third application campaign. I tend to be more relaxed about it as I know that 90% of offers haven't been sent yet. I'll be freaking out in April-May. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Oh, I'm at Oxford right now -- been there, done that. I didn't get my college offer for my Masters until July....

Or was it August?

ReputationRep:
    Why withdraw? You've applied and paid the fee, might as well see what happens.

And again, per the Cambride website: 80% of offers are made around March. Those who have already received offers are by far the exception, not the rule.

You're really not being made to wait longer than most people; your mistake is obsessing over it when they tell you in no uncertain language that you won't know until March.
    Because I've already got a job at the best/most famous publishing house in the country (actually the world now), so I'm just not sure how it would benefit me! I applied mostly on a curious whim when my grades were changed at uni and that was about it. I mean I'd love the opportunity if I did get in, but I'm so certain I won't I'm a bit of a hopeless case lol. I wish I had time to obsess over it though... TSR is my only outlet recently! I've not even told people I've applied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Don't be so impatient. Most of us are still waiting. Moreover, receiving an offer is not the end of the process: you also have to wait for funding decisions (April-May), college offer (May-June), and accommodation results (June-July). The wait is long but you should have expected it when you applied to a university that receives between 15-20,000 applications every year.
    I am nothing but impatient, hahah!
    And none of those apply to me - not even accommodation, the course I applied for doesn't require it. I'm allowed to say I'm considering withdrawing! I am a human with feelings (especially of insecurity... My whole submission essay was being about a self-saboteur lol)
    I'm sorry you're annoyed at me and I hope it didn't sound like I was on my "high horse", i really didn't mean to. I just meant I don't think it's really for me. I appreciate it must be absolutely horrible for people who are desperate to get in! I just don't think I have a chance so delaying the process just makes me feel worse about myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I am nothing but impatient, hahah!
    And none of those apply to me - not even accommodation, the course I applied for doesn't require it. I'm allowed to say I'm considering withdrawing! I am a human with feelings (especially of insecurity... My whole submission essay was being about a self-saboteur lol)
    I'm sorry you're annoyed at me and I hope it didn't sound like I was on my "high horse", i really didn't mean to. I just meant I don't think it's really for me. I appreciate it must be absolutely horrible for people who are desperate to get in! I just don't think I have a chance so delaying the process just makes me feel worse about myself.
    I'm a college dropout who got an offer for a PhD at Oxford. Nothing is impossible, believe in yourself - or at least, wait for the result.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    I'm a college dropout who got an offer for a PhD at Oxford. Nothing is impossible, believe in yourself - or at least, wait for the result.
    :awesome:

Ngl that's quite an inspiring story. You've done very well! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I made it to the final...I've got an offer

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations Any news about your scholarship? I assume most of the chemistry ppl get funded lol

(Original post by Allegri)
    I made it to the final...I've got an offer

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.