Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Great effort from Woakes. Didn't think he had it in him to be a test bowler but he's doing his best to prove me wrong. Broad was no more than decent (built pressure through his economy but didn't really look threatening himself), Ball faded through the day, and Finn was a passenger throughout, so it could have been a lot worse than 282-6.

Pakistan's day but at least we're not out of the match.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty even day. Pakistan need at least 350+. The last two wickets leave a sour taste in my mouth

ReputationRep:
    Getting Shafiq in the 70's was huge. 280-4, with 2 set batsman had things looking ominous for England. Don't think the last wicket mattered too much. Looking forward to watching the Pakistani bowling attack.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Awesome stuff from Misbah. What a feat. To be up there with the likes of Hobbs in terms of ageing centurions is just remarkable, and really fitting that he should do it today after providing such a calm presence for Pakistan in what has been - at large - quite a tumultuous period.

Misbah had never before batted in a Test in England, never played more than a few T20 innings at Lord's, but what an effort from the man. I've always been a fan.

I think Pakistan will be very happy with their day's work. It's a very, very good start to the Test. Obviously, this is a pitch you can score runs on - and score runs they did - but Pakistan know that the ball was starting to swing, and they know they can bowl fast with movement to trouble the England order tomorrow and Saturday.

Misbah will take the headlines - and rightly so - but his partnership with Shafiq for the fifth wicket stand was just exceptional, and entirely even. Both batsmen struck the ball well, with that gentle roll of the shoulders, and Shafiq proved his ability after Pakistan's openers stumbled as a result of the slow pitch. They didn't pick their shots well. Sarfraz has never been good with leaving the ball.

Finn was obviously the poorest of the England bowlers, but he laboured and worked tirelessly in trying to make something happen. In truth, on a pitch like this, he and Broad were always going to struggle - and so it proved. Ball looked accomplished on debut, capable of getting decent batsmen out with wicket taking balls, and he'll be delighted with the opening spell (despite the DRS call giving him a no wicket) which featured a very impressive and intimidating maiden.

Woakes continues to impress and thrive in this role, showing his ability to become a key cog in the England Test machine. England really struggled in the field, I felt, hampered by Cook's deployment of quite a subcontinent fielding set-up, rather than a traditional and attacking Lord's one (no doubt because of the pitch) and Ballance should have taken that run-out opportunity when he had the chance.

Once again, Moeen found himself targeted and he - along with Finn - proved very expensive, with the former conceding a disappointing 46 runs from 7 overs.

Tomorrow's first session will be critical: England will fancy getting them all out for below 350, Pakistan will fancy pushing above 400. Fascinating, evenly poised stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Awesome stuff from Misbah. What a feat. To be up there with the likes of Hobbs in terms of ageing centurions is just remarkable, and really fitting that he should do it today after providing such a calm presence for Pakistan in what has been - at large - quite a tumultuous period.

Misbah had never before batted in a Test in England, never played more than a few T20 innings at Lord's, but what an effort from the man. I've always been a fan.

I think Pakistan will be very happy with their day's work. It's a very, very good start to the Test. Obviously, this is a pitch you can score runs on - and score runs they did - but Pakistan know that the ball was starting to swing, and they know they can bowl fast with movement to trouble the England order tomorrow and Saturday.

Misbah will take the headlines - and rightly so - but his partnership with Shafiq for the fifth wicket stand was just exceptional, and entirely even. Both batsmen struck the ball well, with that gentle roll of the shoulders, and Shafiq proved his ability after Pakistan's openers stumbled as a result of the slow pitch. They didn't pick their shots well. Sarfraz has never been good with leaving the ball.

Finn was obviously the poorest of the England bowlers, but he laboured and worked tirelessly in trying to make something happen. In truth, on a pitch like this, he and Broad were always going to struggle - and so it proved. Ball looked accomplished on debut, capable of getting decent batsmen out with wicket taking balls, and he'll be delighted with the opening spell (despite the DRS call giving him a no wicket) which featured a very impressive and intimidating maiden.

Woakes continues to impress and thrive in this role, showing his ability to become a key cog in the England Test machine. England really struggled in the field, I felt, hampered by Cook's deployment of quite a subcontinent fielding set-up, rather than a traditional and attacking Lord's one (no doubt because of the pitch) and Ballance should have taken that run-out opportunity when he had the chance.

Once again, Moeen found himself targeted and he - along with Finn - proved very expensive, with the former conceding a disappointing 46 runs from 7 overs.

Tomorrow's first session will be critical: England will fancy getting them all out for below 350, Pakistan will fancy pushing above 400. Fascinating, evenly poised stuff.
    Can't see them getting >400 with their tail. All genuine tail enders and only one batsman left. They'd do well to get 350 imo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Can't see them getting >400 with their tail. All genuine tail enders and only one batsman left. They'd do well to get 350 imo.
    Misbah's targeting 400, but I agree with you. Especially now the ball is nipping about.

You imagine there'll be cracks in the pitch on days four and five, meaning England chasing anything above and beyond the 250 mark will prove very tricky towards the back end of this Test.

I think it's delicately poised - and, as I mentioned, tomorrow's first session is key to both sides.

ReputationRep:
    That celebration from Misbah was hilarious! Probably a joke made by his team mates. Always great watching him smile after what seemed like very dark times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Those two wickets leave a bitter taste but you'd take that from Pakistan's POV. Misbah is still in, Sarfraz can bat so they could still nick another 100 runs which would be 50 runs short IMO but again, good start to the Test. Misbah again the hero and the celebration, damn, what a moment! Best way to celebrate for a 42-year-old bloke.

Not surprised to see the openers struggle, Hafeez IMO is abit of a fraud in terms of giving it large as the so-called 'Professor' yet barely produces consistent form as a senior player. Masood/Azhar Ali need bit more time but latter probably was too defensive from the feed I was reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Those two wickets leave a bitter taste but you'd take that from Pakistan's POV. Misbah is still in, Sarfraz can bat so they could still nick another 100 runs which would be 50 runs short IMO but again, good start to the Test. Misbah again the hero and the celebration, damn, what a moment! Best way to celebrate for a 42-year-old bloke.

Not surprised to see the openers struggle, Hafeez IMO is abit of a fraud in terms of giving it large as the so-called 'Professor' yet barely produces consistent form as a senior player. Masood/Azhar Ali need bit more time but latter probably was too defensive from the feed I was reading.
    Azhar played too defensively and if not for Misbah's century then Pak would have been in a terrible position. I think Masood should be dropped and Azhar should open with Shafiq coming in at 3. Shafiq is our most techinally sound batsman and can play new ball from Anderson and Broad. That would give better protection to Younis and Misbah who are out best batsman but are not great against the new ball.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's a very real possibility Cook could be suspended for the second Test.

England finished today's play three overs short of the required rate, and while they have time to make that deficit up before the match ends, Cook has been fined and warned after an Ashes Test last summer, so he faces the realisation he could be suspended for Old Trafford if things don't become quicker.

But you can hardly blame him.

Misbah was smashing Moeen all over the shop - at a strike rate of 130+ - so it's no surprise Cook opted to deploy the seamers.

ReputationRep:
    Must be able to find highlights on YouTube, BBC, sky sports, cricinfo etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Horrible news about Carberry, by the way. Didn't mention it last night - but, man, that news sucks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    England’s 2016/17 schedule in India confirmed - but no Boxing Day Test! Breaks my heart.

Tests
    9-13 Nov First Test, Rajkot
    17-21 Nov Second Test, Vishakapatnam
    26-30 Nov Third Test, Mohali
    8-12 Dec Fourth Test, Mumbai
    16-20 Dec Fifth Test, Chennai

ODIs
    10 Jan Warm-up match, Mumbai, CCI
    12 Jan Warm up match, Mumbai, CCI
    15 Jan First ODI, Pune
    19 Jan Second ODI, Cuttack
    22 Jan Third ODI, Kolkata

T20s
    26 Jan First T20, Kanpur
    29 Jan Second T20, Nagpur
    1 Feb Third T20, Bangalore

ReputationRep:
    A very lifeless Pakistani tail.

End of an innings and I believe Pakistan are around 40 short of a good total. Sarfraz and Misbah went in quick succession but they have a decent amount of runs to challenge the English batsmen. Amir and Yasir now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cook with a strike rate of over 100. Wtf!

ReputationRep:
    Bowling seems very ordinary today, not much swing. Probably time to put Yasir on for a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Pakistani fielding paying homage to Inzaman

ReputationRep:
    Really unlucky Mohammad Amir, if only the army camp taught these guys how to catch aswell😜

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yasir Shah dragging Pakistan back into this
    If only Pak had taken their catches

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    good luck Mohammed Amir

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 23, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.