Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel S2 exam?
    Very hard
    14.71%
    Hard
    33.57%
    Normal
    29.72%
    Easy
    15.42%
    Very easy
    6.59%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramil Ahmadov)
    I thought they will prioritize to make both Maths and Further maths as high as possible, which is A* (if they take C1,C2,C3,C4,D1 and D1 for Maths and M1,S1,FP1,M2,S2 and FP2 for further maths, in which case both subjects will be an A*). Is that correct or this combination is not possible? Or they make Maths a very high A* and therefore i will get an A for further maths and miss my offer from Imperial?
    Look at the priorities I've listed again. I'll give you an example:

C1 - 100 C2 - 100 C3 - 100 C4 - 100 S1 - 100 S2 - 100 A* (600 UMS)

FP1 - 100 FP2 - 100 FP3 - 100 M1 - 65 M2 - 60 M3 - 54 B (479 UMS)

If your college has cashed in all awards, then S2 will now be moved to Further Maths and switched for M1, so while your maths UMS is lower, you still get A*A*.

Your combination is feasible (provided that you meant D2 instead of D1 twice!)

You really don't need to worry about this if all maths awards have been cashed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)

If your college has cashed in all awards, then S2 will now be moved to Further Maths and switched for M1, so while your maths UMS is lower, you still get A*A*.

You really don't need to worry about this if all maths awards have been cashed in.
    Can you explain what do you mean by "cashing in all awards" please? I didn't quite get that

ReputationRep:

Can you have S1 in maths and S2 in further maths?

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain what do you mean by "cashing in all awards" please? I didn't quite get that
    You probably don't have to worry about it! Your exams officer most probably did it for your further maths class.

(Original post by target21859)
    Can you have S1 in maths and S2 in further maths?
    I'm 100% sure you can.

Mine is C12/C34/M1/S1 for Maths and will probably end up being F1/F2/F3/M2/S2/S3 for Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    You probably don't have to worry about it! Your exams officer most probably did it for your further maths class.

I'm 100% sure you can.

Mine is C12/C34/M1/S1 for Maths and will probably end up being F1/F2/F3/M2/S2/S3 for Further Maths.
    So does that mean they will try to make both subjects an A* as a priority rather than high A* in maths and an A in fmats?

ReputationRep:
    So does that mean they will try to make both subjects an A* as a priority rather than high A* in maths and an A in fmats?
    I think it'll be an algorithm with a series of 'IF' functions and the computer runs all the possible cases and if you can get 2A*s, it should give it to you.

But you shouldn't worry. If results day comes and the computer has given you an A in FM when you could have an A*, you can easily have the order of cash ins changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    I think it'll be an algorithm with a series of 'IF' functions and the computer runs all the possible cases and if you can get 2A*s, it should give it to you.

But you shouldn't worry. If results day comes and the computer has given you an A in FM when you could have an A*, you can easily have the order of cash ins changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So i can ask them to make them both A* rather than high A in one of them?

ReputationRep:
    So i can ask them to make them both A* rather than high A in one of them?
    Yeah if it's possible based on your UMS!

ReputationRep:
    safe.

ReputationRep:
    which modules are counted as maths and further maths? For instance, can I do this for normal maths : C1,C2,C3,C4,S3,D1 even though I sat D1 and S3 for Further maths and then have FP1,FP2,M1,M2,S1,S2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoahMal)
    which modules are counted as maths and further maths? For instance, can I do this for normal maths : C1,C2,C3,C4,S3,D1 even though I sat D1 and S3 for Further maths and then have FP1,FP2,M1,M2,S1,S2
    i'm not sure about that tbf

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure about that tbf
    I found it online for Core it must be

C1,C2,C3,C4 And

m1 and m2 or
    m1 and s1 or
    s1 and s2 or
    d1 and d2 or
    d1 and m1 or
    d1 and s1

ReputationRep:
    Please can you post the official Edexcel mark schemes for mathematics a-level for example google drive link . Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm a bit late in saying what I thought about the exam, I felt like saying what I have to say since results day is near. I personally disagree with the fact that some people on here are confidently saying that the grade boundaries are going be high and that the paper was "easy". This paper was probably the hardest S2 exam released as a majority of the questions had too many unknown parameters and last years grade boundaries were high. Previous S2 papers where box-standard and were easy to do with your eyes closed, resulting in high grade boundaries.

I personally think it will be 58-60 to get an A for this paper.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Link to papers and mark schemes for June 2016:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8-...ew?usp=sharing

Enjoy
    Thank you!
    links seem broken though.

Edit: Nevermind, just had to download them, but there only seems to be question papers and no mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Thank you!
    links seem broken though.

Edit: Nevermind, just had to download them, but there only seems to be question papers and no mark schemes.
    Hey sorry - the link is wrong and only has the papers. There are no Statistics or Decision mark schemes just yet - only the other modules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExplicitAI)
    Although I'm a bit late in saying what I thought about the exam, I felt like saying what I have to say since results day is near. I personally disagree with the fact that some people on here are confidently saying that the grade boundaries are going be high and that the paper was "easy". This paper was probably the hardest S2 exam released as a majority of the questions had too many unknown parameters and last years grade boundaries were high. Previous S2 papers where box-standard and were easy to do with your eyes closed, resulting in high grade boundaries.

I personally think it will be 58-60 to get an A for this paper.
    Sorry I have to disagree - I thought it was a very standard paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    Sorry I have to disagree - I thought it was a very standard paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think this was definitely not as easy as a paper as people have seemed to think - many of the questions were longer and worth more marks (like 4,5 and even 8 marks). The format of this paper also seemed to be different from previous years, with questions worded with more ambiguity than previously. So, I think it was not the easiest, but I predict grade boundaries to be around 68 for the a* (or maybe even a few marks lower tbh).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandMasti)
    I think this was definitely not as easy as a paper as people have seemed to think - many of the questions were longer and worth more marks (like 4,5 and even 8 marks). The format of this paper also seemed to be different from previous years, with questions worded with more ambiguity than previously. So, I think it was not the easiest, but I predict grade boundaries to be around 68 for the a* (or maybe even a few marks lower tbh).
    What about for an A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    What about for an A?
    Umm isn't it normally 6 marks lower than the A* boundary? so around 62?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.