The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Absolutely and it's nice to see a fun side to him. He seems to be going down well with the public though, loudest standing ovation of the night on the show and he's survived the first public vote.
    Out of all the well-known politicians, I reckon Nick Clegg would be the best at Strictly.

I remember Vince Cable doing the Christmas show a few years ago which was quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Out of all the well-known politicians, I reckon Nick Clegg would be the best at Strictly.

Ed Miliband obvs

ReputationRep:
    Would love to see Boris do it, I would give almost anything to see it.... Normally I hate Ed Balls, but I thought he was great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Would love to see Boris do it, I would give almost anything to see it.... Normally I hate Ed Balls, but I though he was great!
    Would love to see him and Cameron do it. *Reckon all the Eton lot would be pretty good at it haha.*

ReputationRep:
    The government drops its absurd plan of naming and shaming firms who employ foreign workers.

Good.*

ReputationRep:
    The government drops its absurd plan of naming and shaming firms who employ foreign workers.

Good.*
    Did they even seriously want it anyway, or was it just a voter grab and then quietly drop it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Did they even seriously want it anyway, or was it just a voter grab and then quietly drop it
    Probably an attempt to pander to UKIP voters. What I now find bizaree is that it is remainers like May and Rudd who are coming out with far more ridiculous anti-immigrant statements than the leave camp did. Steve Hilton wrote a good article about it in the Times.

There are of course legitimate concerns about immigration but the proposal the government made here was beyond ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

Good.*
    Should there be a plan instead to have to declare the number of Old Etonians, or anyone who has donated money to the Tories?

ReputationRep:
    So, Northern Ireland to be the new Calais then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not right that May says she will leave the single market without a parliamentary vote.
    She absolutely has the authority to revoke our membership of the EU, the British people voted for that and she is right to do so. But once our membership has been revoked the rest should be up to Parliament to decide and scrutinise.

She has a mandate to withdraw us from the EU, she doesn't have a mandate to single handedly decide the terms of our future relationship with the EU without Parliamentary approval or scrutiny.

ReputationRep:
    It's not right that May says she will leave the single market without a parliamentary vote.
    She absolutely has the authority to revoke our membership of the EU, the British people voted for that and she is right to do so. But once our membership has been revoked the rest should be up to Parliament to decide and scrutinise.

She has a mandate to withdraw us from the EU, she doesn't have a mandate to single handedly decide the terms of our future relationship with the EU without Parliamentary approval or scrutiny.
    While i do think parliament should ratify the exit agreement i think she has every right to withdraw from the single market if that is the price to be paid for sovereignty (withdraw from the ECJ) and free movement. Post Brexit polling suggests that ~50% voted primarily for sovereignty and ~30 for immigration.

ReputationRep:

*Cough* prerogative powers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He isn't sayingthat she can't, just that it isn't right for her to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She has a right to use them to invoke article 50. Look I think we should have withdrawal our membership of the EU now, we voted for it.
    But we didn't vote about whether or not we should be in the single market or to what extent we should curb migration.

The questions relating to what our future relationship with the EU should be, should be subject to scrutiny and a vote by Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    He isn't sayingthat she can't, just that it isn't right for her to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The only way in which it isn't right is the "waaah, I want this blocked" way

If May lacks any mandate it is the mandate to deviate significantly from the election manifesto, on that one I would agree and think if she does want to significantly deviate then she should try for an early election.

ReputationRep:

If May lacks any mandate it is the mandate to deviate significantly from the election manifesto, on that one I would agree and think if she does want to significantly deviate then she should try for an early election.
    So you'd be happy with a very soft brexit then because she has that mandate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    While i do think parliament should ratify the exit agreement i think she has every right to withdraw from the single market if that is the price to be paid for sovereignty (withdraw from the ECJ) and free movement. Post Brexit polling suggests that ~50% voted primarily for sovereignty and ~30 for immigration.

There's no reason why that shouldn't be put to Parliament. She has every right to revoke membership of EU but future arrangements should not be conducted using the prerogative, it's an abuse of power.

May has the mandate to rescind membership, she does not have the mandate to unilaterally determine the exit arrangements.*

ReputationRep:

Would you say we're at that point already if the policies in the Autumn Statement match the much-changed rhetoric on fiscal policy?

ReputationRep:

I don't want it blocked, not if Parliament votes for it. What I dislike is a prime minister doing things without putting them to parliament when she has no mandate to do them.

*I'm not saying we shouldn't leave the single market. I'm saying that it should be subject to a parliamentary vote. That's democracy, the very thing you claim so much to love. The referendum established that we must rescind our EU membership.
    * We voted to leave the EU and we will leave the EU, but why should the PM get to unilaterally decide the exit terms after we have left without parliamentary scrutiny or approval? We didn't vote on the exit terms. * Parliamentary scrutiny is one of the founding principles of our democracy.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    So you'd be happy with a very soft brexit then because she has that mandate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't necessarily approve, but then suddenly UKIP are in their ascendancy again, and May's moving out of No. 10, and all of a sudden it doesn't seem a likely outcome. At the end of the day the electorate are better scrutineers than the commons.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.