University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamhscarlett)
    I finally got my accommodation offer from Caius!! I'm in the Stephen Hawking building and my room is described as a 'superior double en-suite' which sounds pretty good! :lol:
    It sounds good, until they tell you the rent...

ReputationRep:
    I finally got my accommodation offer from Caius!! I'm in the Stephen Hawking building and my room is described as a 'superior double en-suite' which sounds pretty good! :lol:
    Hey!! I'm in SHB too! Though I chose Band B and got "superior single en-suite" Needless to say, my parents are shocked at the rent but it's still not as bad as all my friends in London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Yeah. That room sounds expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Surprisingly it's on the lower end of Band B. :0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kn_dragon)
    Hey!! I'm in SHB too! Though I chose Band B and got "superior single en-suite" Needless to say, my parents are shocked at the rent but it's still not as bad as all my friends in London
    Yeah I got Band B too! I don't think the double means anything, I still get a single bed I'm on floor 2 I think.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got Band B too! I don't think the double means anything, I still get a single bed I'm on floor 2 I think.
    Oh wow same! XD second floor too! i'll definitely be seeing you on the first day then

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow same! XD second floor too! i'll definitely be seeing you on the first day then
    Yeah It's good to know we won't be going without knowing anyone first!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah It's good to know we won't be going without knowing anyone first!!
    Second floor SHB as well!

I'm not sure what the layout inside is like, but the third floor looks really cool - they've got a balconies running all along each edge.

ReputationRep:
    what is the rent per term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    what is the rent per term?
    Per year it's like £4,413... so per term it's around £1,471

ReputationRep:
    Per year it's like £4,413... so per term it's around £1,471
    Are you kidding me? I get 1.5k per term at King's for a small non-ensuite. jfc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    1.2k per term at trinity for ensuite (not sure of room size but is wolfson building)

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell that's expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Christ's small ensuite was 900ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Christ's small ensuite was 900ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Homerton's nice sized ensuite is £3k + £600 you can spend on food per year. Didn't expect King's to be so exepensive.

ReputationRep:
    The way a college charge rent is sometimes different from college to college. (ie ; what's included in the rent)
    Does yours include something that's not purely 'room charge' like utility, KFC, etc?
    Also being an international means they provide all necessary bedding and perhaps they do laundry of bed linens. Are you paying separately for those? (If it's not, that's he'd den charge)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Homerton's nice sized ensuite is £3k + £600 you can spend on food per year. Didn't expect King's to be so exepensive.
    tbf we've got a price range, it goes from 1.1 to 1.5k a term but none of them are ensuite - you gotta share with 5/6 people. Maybe it's because it's in the centre idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy10663)
    Second floor SHB as well!

I'm not sure what the layout inside is like, but the third floor looks really cool - they've got a balconies running all along each edge.
    That's actually the fourth floor and that is where fellows live (as well as some teaching rooms), no students have balconies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    The way a college charge rent is sometimes different from college to college. (ie ; what's included in the rent)
    Does yours include something that's not purely 'room charge' like utility, KFC, etc?
    Also being an international means they provide all necessary bedding and perhaps they do laundry of bed linens. Are you paying separately for those? (If it's not, that's he'd den charge)
    (well the rooms are on a price range 1.1 to 1.5k per term, but they're all non-ensuite, though they do differ in size)

I'm pretty sure all the utility bills are paid for, but the KFC is separate: 170 per term.

And yep, they did have a option for the bedding pack, dunno about laundry, but the bedding pack cost 25 quid ontop of the rent.

ReputationRep:
    tbf we've got a price range, it goes from 1.1 to 1.5k a term but none of them are ensuite - you gotta share with 5/6 people. Maybe it's because it's in the centre idk
    omg seriously?! I hope the rooms are big for that price...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.