Edexcel Chemistry A2 Unit 5 ~ Wednesday 19th June 2013 (Now Closed) Watch

Poll: How pumped up are you for this exam?-(warning)-(bad jokes arene this poll!)
"Titanium-I'm not going to corrode (even at high temperatures)" (A*) (22)
16.67%
"Benzene's my middle name, give me the paper in a week and I'll ace it!" (A) (27)
20.45%
"Yeah, I'm fairly electrophillic (positively charged) about the exam" (B) (27)
20.45%
"I'm in the middle of the salt bridge, but I will pass-eventually" (C) (21)
15.91%
"I'm feeling rather electroNegative about this exam" (D) (18)
13.64%
"Benzene, what's that?" (E) (6)
4.55%
"Chemistry, what's that?" (F) (11)
8.33%
This discussion is closed.
posthumus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jojo1995)
Ah idk actually oops should have checked

Thank you

Do we need to know how to name azo compounds ie the one I've taken a pic of ? Attachment 225687
Haven't ever seen that, so I have no idea :eek: I'm starting unit 5 again from thursday

(Original post by James A)
Guys, I don't get this. This is unit 4 stuff but we have to obviously recognise when a molecule displays optical isomerism.

For the image I uploaded, the book says there are two optical isomers of the molecule, but how do you know if the rotations cancel or not? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Each chiral always has 2 enantiomers.... these 2 enantiomers always rotate the plane of polarized light in the opposite direction to eachother by the same amount. I kind of thought of them as like matter & anti-matter
AS01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Guys, I don't get this. This is unit 4 stuff but we have to obviously recognise when a molecule displays optical isomerism.

For the image I uploaded, the book says there are two optical isomers of the molecule, but how do you know if the rotations cancel or not? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
rotation cancel what? the extent of rotating plane polarised light?
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by posthumus)
Haven't ever seen that, so I have no idea :eek: I'm starting unit 5 again from thursday

Each chiral always has 2 enantiomers.... these 2 enantiomers always rotate the plane of polarized light in the opposite direction to eachother by the same amount. I kind of thought of them as like matter & anti-matter
Yeah but the book doesn't say that the two isomers cancel each other :/
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
2 enantiomers formed via the same chiral center will always cancel each other out in that sense, I think they haven't mentioned it in unit 5 because it might have been in the unit 4 bit
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know what u are confusing racemic mixture with.
Racemic mixture will have two different optical isomer but here its only one the other one can have CH3 can swap place with COOH so this will be another isomer.
So the one shown there rotates clockwise but the one with swapped places will rotate anti-clockwise hence no optical activity recorded
AtomicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anybody know why 2-hydroxypropanphenylamine (3 carbon side chain with OH group on middle carbon/2ndary alcohol), reacts with 2,4-DNP?? I thought only carbonlys react with 2,4-DNP? It also doesnt react with felhlings or benedicts??

This is question 14 on multiple choice of Jan 2012
GeorgeL3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AtomicMan)
Does anybody know why 2-hydroxypropanphenylamine (3 carbon side chain with OH group on middle carbon/2ndary alcohol), reacts with 2,4-DNP?? I thought only carbonlys react with 2,4-DNP? It also doesnt react with felhlings or benedicts??

This is question 14 on multiple choice of Jan 2012
Note that it says oxidation of compound X forms a substance which reacts with Brady's reagent.
When it's oxidised B will do both of the things it's meant to.
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
2 enantiomers formed via the same chiral center will always cancel each other out in that sense, I think they haven't mentioned it in unit 5 because it might have been in the unit 4 bit

(Original post by AS01)
I know what u are confusing racemic mixture with.
Racemic mixture will have two different optical isomer but here its only one the other one can have CH3 can swap place with COOH so this will be another isomer.
So the one shown there rotates clockwise but the one with swapped places will rotate anti-clockwise hence no optical activity recorded

I get it now folkes !
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I get it now folkes !
AtomicMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GeorgeL3)
Note that it says oxidation of compound X forms a substance which reacts with Brady's reagent.
When it's oxidised B will do both of the things it's meant to.
Ahhhh, thanks
jojo1995
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AS01)
umm dont think we should except the one which is in the book. But then again if there are name for those compounds in book I think we might lol
I will go with we dont

Thanks guys, in that case I won't bother learning th
YAH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I get it now folkes !
the two enantiomers should be equimolar for rotation to cancel, right?? A racemic mixture it is
AS01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by YAH)
the two enantiomers should be equimolar for rotation to cancel, right?? A racemic mixture it is
yes they should
Mollymod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow, the 7 day mark.
Bord3r
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can I just compliment OP on the excellent poll for this thread.
Going to being joining this thread over the next few days.
Knoyle quiah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
why is the bromination of benzene first order with respect to both benzene and bromine??? (rate eqn)
AtomicMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone know whether ethanol reacts with water or oxygen in the fuel cell brethalyser?
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone know whether ethanol reacts with water or oxygen in the fuel cell brethalyser?
Ethanol is oxidized by oxygen
Gnome :)
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The ethanol is oxidised by the oxygen EDIT: Looks like posthumus beat me to it again!
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can anyone explain this bit about proton NMR to me.

Name:  butan-2-ol.bmp
Views: 187
Size:  408.6 KB

This answer was referring to butan-2-ol, but I don't understand how they deduce that the splitting pattern is (2,6,1,5,3) ----- How do they come up with this?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.97%
No (134)
74.03%

Watched Threads