The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
Original post by PR11NCE
If you're losing motivation, watch Floyd Mayweather training! Hard work!
Sugarfree Redbull & water aha!
Good luck on Monday

I think most of our motivation is well and truly gone. :tongue:
Reply 1321
Original post by Suzanna5678
Lucky I have psychology on Wednesday uhhhh! Can't wait to do normal things again

Oh god, I couldn't be doing with three exams in a row (especially since Biology and Chem unit 2 are so difficult!)

Normal things like sleep! :biggrin:
Has anyone else done the specimen paper for this? I'm just doing it now and some questions are ridiculous, for example in q 4 it talks about varieties of wheat (a and b), and says"suggest why there is an advàntages on growing variety b over a".the answers were about the stem and yield, which are not mentioned once in the question. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370034946.769425.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1370035000.480358.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1323
Original post by Satanel
I think most of our motivation is well and truly gone. :tongue:

haha :smile: Amen to that! But tomorrow is a new day, hopefully a good nights sleep will restore some!
Even worse thing is, the weather today was SO goddamn nice!!!!!!! ERGHHHHHH F EXAMS!
Reply 1324
Original post by BarryIsMyName
Has anyone else done the specimen paper for this? I'm just doing it now and some questions are ridiculous, for example in q 4 it talks about varieties of wheat (a and b), and says"suggest why there is an advàntages on growing variety b over a".the answers were about the stem and yield, which are not mentioned once in the question. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370034946.769425.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1370035000.480358.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, the specimen paper is crap!
I JUST finished this, I put that A is taller and A has a greater range of results. Marking relative to 2013 that should be fine if something similar were to come up on Monday, hopefully. I reiterate, the specimen paper is complete BS.
Reply 1325
Original post by PR11NCE
haha :smile: Amen to that! But tomorrow is a new day, hopefully a good nights sleep will restore some!
Even worse thing is, the weather today was SO goddamn nice!!!!!!! ERGHHHHHH F EXAMS!

Ugh, I KNOW; the weather is teasing us! Then when it comes Tuesday/Wednesday, the weather is going to suddenly take a turn for the worse.

EXPECT HURRICANES or something ridic. :tongue:
Original post by BarryIsMyName

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't worry about specimen's, they're really iffy for all papers and not representative at all. Think examiners make them just to scare us :wink:
Reply 1327
Original post by Sum786
Approximately how many marks are you guys getting on the past papers? Also does anyone know the average mark for an A?
Thank you

I keep getting late 50s.got 65 on jan 13 after getting 48 on the mock a few weeks ago. For an A i think its normally between 60-65.I've seen 59 on one paper :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1328
Original post by satanel
ugh, i know; the weather is teasing us! Then when it comes tuesday/wednesday, the weather is going to suddenly take a turn for the worse.

Expect hurricanes or something ridic. :tongue:

loooooooooool!!
What do people think will be on this paper and what the 6 marker will be? My teacher said meiosis and gas exchange in fish are overdue
Can anyone suggest a 6 mark answer for gas exchange in insects or how water travels through the apoplastic/symplastic pathway? :smile:
I have a feeling one of these might come up.
Reply 1331
Is it normal to just be fed up now

I'm on the verge of giving up ,just too tired :frown: .Lets keep going guys .only a few days left :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maryamnc
I wouldn't worry about specimen's, they're really iffy for all papers and not representative at all. Think examiners make them just to scare us :wink:

Ah okay thanks, the chemistry one was weird too, might have to create my own markscheme as I go along

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1333
Original post by Swords N Thorns
Can anyone suggest a 6 mark answer for gas exchange in insects or how water travels through the apoplastic/symplastic pathway? :smile:

Air enters through open spiracles
Through trachea, down the concentration gradient
To respiring cells
o2 diffuses into respiring cells
Ventilation replaces air in trachea
Spiracles open and close by rhythmic abdominal movements

Apoplastic pathway - water movement through non living parts of cell, cell wall, allowing easy diffusion. When apoplast pathway gets to endodermis, casparian strip blocks it. Switches to symplast pathway. Through living parts of cell ie cytoplasm connected by plasmodesmata. Water then moves into xylem

Any good?
Reply 1334
Lucky I have psychology on Wednesday uhhhh! Can't wait to do normal things again

ahhhhhhh same! How far have you got with psychology revision?
Original post by PR11NCE
To respiring cells

Apoplastic pathway - water movement through non living parts of cell, cell wall, allowing easy diffusion. When apoplast pathway gets to endodermis, casparian strip blocks it. Switches to symplast pathway. Through living parts of cell ie cytoplasm connected by plasmodesmata. Water then moves into xylem

Any good?

Yes! Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by Swords N Thorns

For the water uptake in plants
- water enters via osmosis (high to low) in root hair cells
-due to mineral ions in cells
- mention of apoplastic an symplastic
-apoplastic around cell walls/gaps between cells
-symplastic through cytoplasm of cells (along water potential gradient)
-casparian strip which is waterproof in endodermis
- casparian strip helps control water uptake
-up the xylem
Just some ideas I'm not really an expert but probably what I'd put

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1337
Original post by PR11NCE
To respiring cells

Any good?

Can you explain gas exchange in leaves please:smile: I didn't get that in gcse ,i still don't get it in alevel -.-
Thankyou :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know any key terms we need to know for this unit apart from interspecific and intraspecific variation? :tongue:
Reply 1339
Original post by chelley2
Can you explain gas exchange in leaves please:smile: I didn't get that in gcse ,i still don't get it in alevel -.-
Thankyou :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try this :smile:

Stomata open
CO2 diffuses into mesophyll cells (have large SA)
Down its concentration gradient
O2 released as waste product of photosynthesis
O2 required for respiration, energy produced for active transport or whatever
Guard cells control opening and closing of stomatal pores

I'm sorry if this is rubbish, i am NO good at anything plant related.

Latest

Trending

Trending