Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Hmmm. I'm in two minds.

On the one hand, the first 80% of that episode was much of a muchness. It was all a bit rushed.
    But on the other hand, I'm happy Moffat didn't totally change the game for the series.

I'm on the John Hurt = 9th bandwagon.

We know kind of what the Doctor did during the Time War. We know that it was distressing to him and he doesn't talk about it - demonstrated by Ecclestone's fantastically dark performance.

It's a twist I'm intrigued by, and hope the 50th will be an entertaining explanation of exactly what went down during the time war.

My two cents is that they aren't technically renumbering everyone. Hurt is an incarnation of the Doctor, but as he didn't follow the principle of the Doctor (by ending the Time War how he did), he will be the only one that goes by the Doctor's given name.

Brother's out of control speculation below. Just for the lulz:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Timelords choose their own names. The Master? Evil Doctor and everything.

I'm not buying it, but it would be entertaining and would anger loads of people...

Has there been any rumours of Timothy Dalton being in the 50th btw? Would be schweet.
    I was thinking exactly the same-we don't even get to see how The Great Intelligence changed the Doctor's victories to defeats and the effects of the people in those stories, obviously it would have been hard to do it with the old Doctors but the effects and how the Great Intelligence did it could still have been shown with recreated sets.I wonder how The Doctor and Clara are going to escape from the Doctor's timeline and repair the Doctor's timeline because it has been destroyed by the Doctor going in to save Clara.I think I might lodge a complaint on the thing with John Hurt because you can't just add extra incarnations of the Doctor and we all know the Doctor's actions in the Time War were bad.I do see the Doctor in a bad way but not in the way Steven Moffat is suggesting, more like an evil meddler- there is a lot of evidence in the series to suggest this eg.The Rings of Akaten a great example.It also destroys 8 years of fandom of 8th-9th and is an absolutely terrible Matt Smith's portrayal is probably the 6789th Doctor because all the rest have been forgotten by The Doctor and the Doctor's greatest secret isn't John Hurt's Doctor but his name and Steven Moffat knows this but wants extra publicity.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I haven't had a chance to read through the latest comments but I have to say, I was left disappointed by that episode.

I mean, it was was good, really good. One of the best episodes for a while. But with all the build up, I expected to be taken aback but the awesomeness of it... But I wasn't. Maybe I'm just nervous for exams. Maybe it's because I expected a better answer to "Doctor Who?" Actually, I don't even know what the answer was....

As for John Hurt:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I presume he's going to be the Doctor between 8 and 9 but The Doctor refuses to call that incarnation "Doctor" because it killed a lot of people. Something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There wasn't an answer to "Doctor Who?"

Also does everyone remember "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Asking the question at the Doctor's tomb gives access to the most dangerous thing in the universe - his timeline, and changing that...we saw how that changed the universe...silence fell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I was thinking exactly the same-we don't even get to see how The Great Intelligence changed the Doctor's victories to defeats and the effects of the people in those stories, obviously it would have been hard to do it with the old Doctors but the effects and how the Great Intelligence did it could still have been shown with recreated sets.I wonder how The Doctor and Clara are going to escape from the Doctor's timeline and repair the Doctor's timeline because it has been destroyed by the Doctor going in to save Clara.
    I agree.

How great would it have been to have a two-parter, in which the Doctor's past is erased in the first half, and then Clara saves the day in the second?

I assume that the Doctor and Clara being in the Doctor's timeline is how we lead into them meeting our lovely special guests in the 50th, but it'll be interesting to see how they get out!

Also, this may have been something I missed entirely, but...

Who/What is the Great Intelligence?

Was this ever covered or do you think we'll see him again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Student)
    I thought the episode was excellent.

I think the biggest issue this episode had was hype. This was the most hyped episode of Doctor Who I have seen in a long time.
    I think it's the hype that let me down. If there hadn't been any no doubt I would have been much more impressed by the episode. The fact that Moffat was describing it as a "game changer" etc let me down. We all know the Doctor has a dark past - John Hurt didn't exactly take me by surprise. It was all quite predictable once it got going.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the hype that let me down. If there hadn't been any no doubt I would have been much more impressed by the episode. The fact that Moffat was describing it as a "game changer" etc let me down. We all know the Doctor has a dark past - John Hurt didn't exactly take me by surprise. It was all quite predictable once it got going.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreeing. He likes building things up and getting people to be like OMG WHAT'LL HAPPEN AAAAH and then it's all a bit disappointing because it's doesn't match up to the hype. I reckon it would work a lot better if he hadn't hyped it up. It was still a really good ep though, I'm uber excited for the 50th now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherlockedd)
    Agreeing. He likes building things up and getting people to be like OMG WHAT'LL HAPPEN AAAAH and then it's all a bit disappointing because it's doesn't match up to the hype. I reckon it would work a lot better if he hadn't hyped it up. It was still a really good ep though, I'm uber excited for the 50th now!
    I am, and I'm not. I'm worried that the 50th plotline is too obvious, i.e.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Tennant and Piper are going to be in the timeline somewhere and help the eleventh fix it and get out. Confrontation with John Hurt (playing the Doctor who isn't a Doctor) and the Doctor having to deal with his past. And that's pretty much it.

There has to be something else otherwise it's going to be a letdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)

Asking the question at the Doctor's tomb gives access to the most dangerous thing in the universe - his timeline, and changing that...we saw how that changed the universe...silence fell.
    Surely it would be "silence will fall when the question is answered." i.e. The password to his tomb.

Just a thought: if it was River who said his name to open the tomb, then Clara must have heard it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

How great would it have been to have a two-parter, in which the Doctor's past is erased in the first half, and then Clara saves the day in the second?

I assume that the Doctor and Clara being in the Doctor's timeline is how we lead into them meeting our lovely special guests in the 50th, but it'll be interesting to see how they get out!

Also, this may have been something I missed entirely, but...

Who/What is the Great Intelligence?

Was this ever covered or do you think we'll see him again?
    The great intellengence was one of the Drs older enemes, but he has appeared more recently, firstly startign with the snowmen and then the bells of saint john (which shows how memorable that episode was )

love the ending. admittdly it was all a bit rushed and whiffy waffy, but loved the tophat ghouls and Strax's attempt to fight them

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Tennant and Piper are going to be in the timeline somewhere and help the eleventh fix it and get out. Confrontation with John Hurt (playing the Doctor who isn't a Doctor) and the Doctor having to deal with his past. And that's pretty much it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm this is true actually... err noooo :L

ReputationRep:
    How awesome would it have been to see a Clara saving the Doctor segment, using DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations technology?

ReputationRep:
    TO be honest, I'm just thinking of the season finale as the introduction to the 50th anniversary. It is, isn't it?

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He also needs to work a way to travel from Trenzalore to Victorian London because Strax, Jenny and Vastra traveled back in the Tardis.I wonder how he is going to get the Tardis back?

50th Spoilers-
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Omega is supposed to becoming back though and the Zygons?-I hope they aren't just stuck in his timeline somewhere.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    Surely it would be "silence will fall when the question is answered." i.e. The password to his tomb.
    Perhaps, but as a prophetic statement, then it's accurate due to the question being answered when it was asked.

Just a thought: if it was River who said his name to open the tomb, then Clara must have heard it.
    Not necessarily. There's nothing to say that Clara hears anything that River doesn't want her to. There's the suggestion that the Doctor heard River say his name, though.

ReputationRep:
    Who was the woman in the shop who gave Clara the Doctor's number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CanineVet)
    Just jumping in here

Something that I wondered if not already mentioned is when River and Clara met at the 'conference'. Understandably, Clara would not have met River living in the mainstream timeline but River, being already dead from the library and having frequently travelled with the Doctor, also acted as if she never met her before plus Vastra explicitly introduced them to each other. Does this suggest that we won't see River anymore (or for a very longtime i.e. post Clara) or Clara isn't going to be in the show for very long? Just speculating on minor details

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got the impression from the final farewell of River and the Doctor that this will be the last time we see her.

ReputationRep:
    Could be a disguised version of herself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)

Makes me immediately think of 'Silence in the Library'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was probably too busy having her heart stopped, but I thought of that...

ReputationRep:
    Rose? River Song?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    He also needs to work a way to travel from Trenzalore to Victorian London because Strax, Jenny and Vastra traveled back in the Tardis.I wonder how he is going to get the Tardis back?

50th Spoilers-
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Omega is supposed to becoming back though and the Zygons?-I hope they aren't just stuck in his timeline somewhere.
    The obvious explanation is that he'll just find the right part of his timeline (i.e. Victorian London) and just walk back into it, battling a few old enemies on the way.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Or fly back in Ten's Tardis.

I hope to God that I'm wrong though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think that I could watch the final episode (and maybe the one before), and still understand it? I haven't watched any DW this series but kind of want to see what all the excitement is about for the finale. I've watched the previous series so I understand everything about the Doctor's name, but will I get most of it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.