Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My statement is finished but neither of my statements are yet written and one of them as yet to get back to me.Getting nervous because if I don't get a reference from the one who hasn't replied I have nobody else to ask,

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, been following this thread for ages but only just made an account...

I've FINALLY got a work placement sorted (been trying for months) but they can only accommodate me at the start of January...have I completely screwed my chances of getting a PGCE place next September? Or only partially screwed my chances :-S x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Need some advice. My careers service said I could do with adding this in:

- and if there are any additional things you could potentially contribute to school life beyond your subject area. Possible things to consider might be how your politics degree could relate to 'Citizenship' teaching.

I have literally no more room for this. Would you say this is 100% necessary?
    I don't know. I'm the same, I have no room for it! I think I'd put it in if it was relevant but tbh I don't have any special additional hobbies/skills relevant to add. But I guess it would make you stand out a bit more if you add it in. Maybe they'd ask you at interview what you can bring to teaching and say it there?
    It may be more important for you to add how your politics degree is relevant to citizenship teaching though. However, I study childhood studies and I'm applying for an early years PGCE and all I've said is how it's given me knowledge about children etc that may benefit me as a teacher. Literally one sentence.. My careers advisor said, if they want to know about the course they can look it up lol and plus the unis I'm applying to have said they accept applicants who have studies childhood studies etc. so maybe just mention briefly how it relates to citizenship teaching.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelenG)
    Hi everyone, been following this thread for ages but only just made an account...

I've FINALLY got a work placement sorted (been trying for months) but they can only accommodate me at the start of January...have I completely screwed my chances of getting a PGCE place next September? Or only partially screwed my chances :-S x
    Hi there,

I think as long as you have had experience before you start you won't necessarily be rejected for that reason.

You will however have to prove that you are 100% sure on teaching.

ReputationRep:

What subject is this in? That can change a lot!
    (Original post by Fabay)
    I don't know. I'm the same, I have no room for it! I think I'd put it in if it was relevant but tbh I don't have any special additional hobbies/skills relevant to add. But I guess it would make you stand out a bit more if you add it in. Maybe they'd ask you at interview what you can bring to teaching and say it there?
    It may be more important for you to add how your politics degree is relevant to citizenship teaching though. However, I study childhood studies and I'm applying for an early years PGCE and all I've said is how it's given me knowledge about children etc that may benefit me as a teacher. Literally one sentence.. My careers advisor said, if they want to know about the course they can look it up lol and plus the unis I'm applying to have said they accept applicants who have studies childhood studies etc. so maybe just mention briefly how it relates to citizenship teaching.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah thanks, it does help. I know I could do with mentioning the citizenship bit. I'm sure I can fit that into a sentence, surely!

ReputationRep:
    It's in Primary. So yeah...not an ideal situation.

ReputationRep:
    It's in Primary. So yeah...not an ideal situation.
    Ah, yeah, not the best...but apply anyway! You never know. There is no harm in applying.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question - does anyone know the exact time UCAS opens at? I'm away for a few days from 9 tomorrow so was just wondering if it would be open at midnight tonight, or before 9 tomorrow, so I can get it all done.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark27)
    Quick question - does anyone know the exact time UCAS opens at? I'm away for a few days from 9 tomorrow so was just wondering if it would be open at midnight tonight, or before 9 tomorrow, so I can get it all done.

Thanks
    People have asked this before and apparently it varies every year, but it won't be midnight. Even when it opens it has been known to crash and so it can be delayed even then. I don't think you'll be able to do it before you go away, but a few days difference is nothing.

ReputationRep:
    It says this on the UCAS website, so i'm not sure if we have to use a specific font?!

3. Format

You can use up to 4,000 characters or 47 lines of text (including spaces and blank lines).
    We recommend you write your statement first and then copy and paste into your online application (but watch out for the character and line count – the processor might get different values because it doesn't count tabs or paragraphs).
    When you add to your online application click 'save' regularly because it will time out after 35 minutes of inactivity.
    If you want to send any more information you can ask unis and colleges if they'll accept further details – if they say yes you should send it direct to them (not us) once we've sent you your Welcome letter (so you can include your Personal ID).

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Is anyone applying to Birmingham for the general primary?

Also, when we write about experience, I worked with both key stage 1 and 2, and I enjoyed more working with ks2? Should I mention this in my personal statement?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    People have asked this before and apparently it varies every year, but it won't be midnight. Even when it opens it has been known to crash and so it can be delayed even then. I don't think you'll be able to do it before you go away, but a few days difference is nothing.
    the recommend font is verdana, size1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown shuga)
    the recommend font is verdana, size1.
    Did you mean to reply to me? It was someone else asking about font. Although I think you mean a different size too, not size 1! I think it was 11.

ReputationRep:
    Did you mean to reply to me? It was someone else asking about font. Although I think you mean a different size too, not size 1! I think it was 11.
    Oh sorry :eek:, lol it is my first time here. Size 11, it's the stress of the personal statment and dissertation on top of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    It says this on the UCAS website, so i'm not sure if we have to use a specific font?!

3. Format

You can use up to 4,000 characters or 47 lines of text (including spaces and blank lines).
    We recommend you write your statement first and then copy and paste into your online application (but watch out for the character and line count – the processor might get different values because it doesn't count tabs or paragraphs).
    When you add to your online application click 'save' regularly because it will time out after 35 minutes of inactivity.
    If you want to send any more information you can ask unis and colleges if they'll accept further details – if they say yes you should send it direct to them (not us) once we've sent you your Welcome letter (so you can include your Personal ID).

I phoned UCAS and the lady said VERDANA 11 or 12

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry :eek:, lol it is my first time here. Size 11, it's the stress of the personal statment and dissertation on top of it
    Thank you! And oh bless you with your workload, good luck with it all! x

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of references I could do with some advice. I've been teaching English in South Korea for the past three years and I will be putting my boss and either my co-teacher, or the parents of one of my private students, down as references. I feel like I have to put my boss down (I've been out of Uni for more than five years and I'll be applying for Schools Direct as well as PGCE) but I'm worried as his English isn't always perfect. Also is it going to hurt my chances if neither of my referees are from the UK? Would I be better off finding someone back home? These are people who have worked with me as a teacher and I'd like to put them down as I know they'll give me a good reference but I don't want to do it if it comes across as a negative. Any thoughts are appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    I phoned UCAS and the lady said VERDANA 11 or 12
    It would be nice if they said either 11 or 12, as lines will be added to mine if it's 12 not 11!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Is anyone applying to Birmingham for the general primary?

Also, when we write about experience, I worked with both key stage 1 and 2, and I enjoyed more working with ks2? Should I mention this in my personal statement?

Thank you
    Hiya, I am applying to Birmingham I wouldn't just because you will probably have placements in both, and they may ask you why you didn't choose a course where you specialize in KS2.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am planning on applying for some PGCE Secondary Mathematics courses. Does anybody know roughly how popular this is, and do I need to submit my application off by tomorrow to stand a chance!?
    Thanks a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.