The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

I haven't received HR etray result either...it's not looking good at this stage though is it? Keep telling myself it's not a no yet....I will update here as soon as I hear; should be final pass mark by next fri I think.
I will too! No it isn't but ima keep a lil smidget of hope until i see the unsuccessful message.. Good luck, I'll keep you posted
:smile:
Original post by snj1990
I will too! No it isn't but ima keep a lil smidget of hope until i see the unsuccessful message.. Good luck, I'll keep you posted

Good luck to you too, hate all this waiting!
Hello everyone,

I appreciate that you are mostly discussing applications but I feel like you are the best people to ask this question.

I am in my second year of Uni and am planning on applying for a role either in the diplomatic service or central departments next year. I am not fluent in another language yet, although I certainly have evidence to show that I am trying. Would this be a significant disadvantage if I applied for the diplomatic service?

Thanks
Hey guys,

This may sound like a silly question but as I don't really know London very well and have never travelled in London during peak time.

How long do you think it would take me to get from kings cross to parliament street? I am giving about an hour, but should I set off earlier?

Also would I be able to buy my underground tickets the day earlier? Or can you only buy them on the day?
Reply 1325
Hi there, can you please tell me what FSAC is all about? Is it a full day assessment and do you need to prepare for it beforehand or not? Thanks!
Reply 1326
Original post by Tas321
Hey guys,

This may sound like a silly question but as I don't really know London very well and have never travelled in London during peak time.

How long do you think it would take me to get from kings cross to parliament street? I am giving about an hour, but should I set off earlier?

Also would I be able to buy my underground tickets the day earlier? Or can you only buy them on the day?

Hey, you should go on the tfl website and you can enter "from and to" to find the exact distances. You can get oyster from Kings Cross and top it up there! I guess an hour should be ok...as a precaution. It isn't too far though but since London is so busy it's better to allow extra time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tas321
Hey guys,

It should take you 15mins max.

King's Cross to Green Park (Victoria Line)
Green Park to Westminster (Jubilee Line)

You can get tickets on the day. if you a have railcard a zone 1-6 rail ticket (with unlimited travel for the day) would cost about £6.
Original post by madl24903
It should take you 15mins max.

King's Cross to Green Park (Victoria Line)
Green Park to Westminster (Jubilee Line)

You can get tickets on the day. if you a have railcard a zone 1-6 rail ticket (with unlimited travel for the day) would cost about £6.

Thank you so much! Is this even at peak time?

I keep forgetting tubes come every two minutes rather than every 30-60 mins like with trains in the north.
Original post by Tas321
I have my FSAC on Friday. Pretty nervous!

Is anyone else going this Friday?

I have mine on Friday as well, also nervous.

What scheme are you applying for?
Original post by birdman55
I have mine on Friday as well, also nervous.

What scheme are you applying for?

Finance. What about you?
Yes super nervous, more so that I don't know what preparation I should do for it.
Original post by Tas321
Thank you so much! Is this even at peak time?

I keep forgetting tubes come every two minutes rather than every 30-60 mins like with trains in the north.

I don't actually know about peak times. It might be about £8!
Original post by onouse
Hey, you should go on the tfl website and you can enter "from and to" to find the exact distances. You can get oyster from Kings Cross and top it up there! I guess an hour should be ok...as a precaution. It isn't too far though but since London is so busy it's better to allow extra time.

Thank you for your help
hey does anyone have their FSAC on the 10th Feb? :smile:
Original post by fleabag23
I haven't received HR etray result either...it's not looking good at this stage though is it? Keep telling myself it's not a no yet....I will update here as soon as I hear; should be final pass mark by next fri I think.

Original post by snj1990

Not hearing yet, really doesn't give any indication how you've done, and bear in mind that the E-Tray is essentially pass/fail and allows you to really show your capabilities at FSAC.

It would be better, in my mind, to ace FSAC despite needing to wait for the final band-narrowing at E-Tray, than the other way around.

E-Tray is also quite hard to prepare for. If you pass E-Tray, use the time until FSAC to really practice describing how you meet the competencies, and read the FSAC guide (linked to under maps and forms in your application account) to plan how you're going to deal with the different activities through the Assessment Centre.
Original post by deejayy
Hello everyone,

I appreciate that you are mostly discussing applications but I feel like you are the best people to ask this question.

I am in my second year of Uni and am planning on applying for a role either in the diplomatic service or central departments next year. I am not fluent in another language yet, although I certainly have evidence to show that I am trying. Would this be a significant disadvantage if I applied for the diplomatic service?

Thanks

My understanding is that only the EU stream requires a foreign language (French/German) A-Level (or equivalent), although the Diplomatic stream does offer the possibility of training in hard languages such as Arabic or Mandarin.

Evidence that you're studying to become fluent in a language can only be a positive if you describe this at the assessment centre.
Original post by Tas321
Finance. What about you?
Yes super nervous, more so that I don't know what preparation I should do for it.

Yeah Finance too.

I think it is difficult to prepare for the group, leadership and policy exercise, I suppose it will depend on what topic is chosen and how you perform on the day.

Reading the advice covered in the guide will be important and likely the best place to start. For the interview, I have tried to prepare as many examples which meet the competencies and hopefully the questions fall kind for me.

I think I done terrible in the written part of the E-Tray, I hope it is a small fraction of the overall marking.
Just heard 2015 NI scheme is being withdrawn due to public sector cuts in Northern Ireland. Absolutely devastated, I will await confirmation from parity though
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by birdman55
Yeah Finance too.

I think it is difficult to prepare for the group, leadership and policy exercise, I suppose it will depend on what topic is chosen and how you perform on the day.

Reading the advice covered in the guide will be important and likely the best place to start. For the interview, I have tried to prepare as many examples which meet the competencies and hopefully the questions fall kind for me.

I think I done terrible in the written part of the E-Tray, I hope it is a small fraction of the overall marking.

Does your mark from the etray still count? Or was it just to get you to the AC and your judged solely on your performance on the day?

I did terribly I think I submitted after two hours on the etray and was fully expecting a fail.
Original post by Tas321
Does your mark from the etray still count? Or was it just to get you to the AC and your judged solely on your performance on the day?

I did terribly I think I submitted after two hours on the etray and was fully expecting a fail.

Yeah the written part is competency marked and considered at the end but I believe (hope) the majority of your performance will be based on the FSAC performance results. The E-Tray success was solely based on the multi-choice questions.

I live in Scotland and do not normally travel during peak conditions, I am as much worried about navigating my way there on time! I hope my hotel offers breakfast served with an espresso at 6.30am...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending