Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, would really appreciate some advice re: whether it is worth applying with my UKCAT score

VR: 670
    QR: 700
    AR: 670
    DA: 630

so disappointed Is there any point applying to GEM courses?
    Background: 2:1 BSc Nursing, will have 1 year exp as qualified nurse at time of entry to course

Holly x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hozzie)
    Hi Guys, would really appreciate some advice re: whether it is worth applying with my UKCAT score

Background: 2:1 BSc Nursing, will have 1 year exp as qualified nurse at time of entry to course

Holly x
    Hi, is this your first application?

Sadly that score will not get you onto a 4-year course. Would you be in a position to look at 5-year courses?

If it's your first sitting I wouldn't worry too much, I know it's disappointing but often it does take people a couple of years to get the hang of the UKCAT! There's good evidence that people improve with each attempt.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hozzie)

Holly x
    Do you have chemistry A level at grade A with another A and B ? If so Bristol don't look at ukcat. Well done on your score though! It is good enough for 5 years. How did you find the test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Hi, is this your first application?

Sadly that score will not get you onto a 4-year course. Would you be in a position to look at 5-year courses?

If it's your first sitting I wouldn't worry too much, I know it's disappointing but often it does take people a couple of years to get the hang of the UKCAT! There's good evidence that people improve with each attempt.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your postive reply! Unfortunately I dont have the money for the 5 year (praying they might change financial support/course fees). I will try again next year, it will all be worth it if I manage to get a place eventually x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    Do you have chemistry A level at grade A with another A and B ? If so Bristol don't look at ukcat. Well done on your score though! It is good enough for 5 years. How did you find the test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bristol do not accept degrees in nursing.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/medical-sch...ne-grad-entry/

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! BBB at A-Levl (Psch, Eng, Math) so i guess no hope for Bristol. The QR was easier than expected ( it was my worst section in the mocks). Other than that the mocks were true to the real thing. Didn't anticipate my nerves so that screwed up my timing unfortunately - didnt complete AR and DA as forgot to watch the clock...*d'oh*

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how many places they have on the southampton GEM? And how they assess for interview and at interview (MMI, Panel) etc. Looked on the website and can't find it anywhere

-cheers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, what's the fastest way of finding the keyword when answering verbal reasoning??? Coz 80% of the time when I find the key word I get the answer right, but I just can't do it fast enough in most cases

ReputationRep:
    I've just taken the UKCAT today and I got the following:

VR 640
    QR 720
    AR 720
    DA 710
    SJ Band 1

This works out to an average of 697.5 or 2790 total. I'm pretty gutted at my VR score and know that as GEM is so competitive this is not a strong score to go in with I have really found the whole test format very difficult to get to grips with!
    Does anyone have any opinions of if it is still worth trying to apply to a few GEM school such as Warwick/Southampton? I'm considering taking the BMAT for oxford as I satisfy the other academic requirements.
    For background, I current hold a 1st class MChem Chemistry degree and am working as a HCA in mental health.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macarenafc92)
    I have used a cuple of doctors (one was useful, the other one doesn't believe in nursing turning into medics), one solicitor (that made the sentences look incomplete) and a translator that gave a little bit of sense to the sentences.

The thing that makes me feel very insecure about it is not been good enough (so usual I know) and the fact that many unis don't like nurses jumping into medicine.
    Well that's really sh**ty. Every doctor (and nurse) I've met has told me I'd be a great doctor. Ignore what others say.

Most uni's don't care if you've studied nursing, it's just that nursing is a vocation in itself which requires a lot of thought before entering, so then wanting to enter medicine later may make it look like you're unsure about you're career. Make sure you have a well thought out reason to why you're switching - most nurses who want to go into medicine usually leave for the same reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaW_x)

VR 640
    QR 720
    AR 720
    DA 710
    SJ Band 1

This works out to an average of 697.5 or 2790 total. I'm pretty gutted at my VR score and know that as GEM is so competitive this is not a strong score to go in with I have really found the whole test format very difficult to get to grips with!
    Does anyone have any opinions of if it is still worth trying to apply to a few GEM school such as Warwick/Southampton? I'm considering taking the BMAT for oxford as I satisfy the other academic requirements.
    For background, I current hold a 1st class MChem Chemistry degree and am working as a HCA in mental health.

You'd be in with a shout at Warwick 697.5 was fine last year, but clearly it varies year on year. I'd be surprised if 640 wasn't above average for VR too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaW_x)

VR 640
    QR 720
    AR 720
    DA 710
    SJ Band 1

Check the ukcat official website in a few weeks. Last year they published national averages so will give a rough idea of where you stand. Dont be too disheartened with that score though, depends on the year but its def. competative for Warwick and most non-GEP unis, if youre considering them. Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1525)
    Anyone know how many places they have on the southampton GEM? And how they assess for interview and at interview (MMI, Panel) etc. Looked on the website and can't find it anywhere

-cheers
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicin...ate/apply.page

ReputationRep:
    When putting module marks for your degree on UCAS do you just put 3rd year marks or 2nd year as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    on that note, I have not registered with ucas yet, do i need to do so before sitting ukcat? also does anyone know if we have to make two accounts on ucas if applying for both GEM and undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDarlo91)
    on that note, I have not registered with ucas yet, do i need to do so before sitting ukcat? also does anyone know if we have to make two accounts on ucas if applying for both GEM and undergrad?
    The UKCAT Registration deadline: 22nd September 2015
    UCAS application deadline for medicine: 15th October 2015

No you don't. You have four choices and your fifth choice can be non-medical.

There is a wealth of information available e.g http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students...n-process.aspx
    You could easily have googled the answer to your question.

ReputationRep:
    #justsaying some of the questions asked could easily be googled such as selection process/style , entry requirements etc. and found on the relevant medical school's website, UCAS.com....

ReputationRep:
    Just did my first mock - Medify easy mock (scored using Kaplan) and got the most hurrendous score I am so upset. 630, 500, 650, 600. What what what.

I'm averaging 770 on Medify for AR but I could barely spot any of the patterns! And I'm on track using emedica, Kaplan and 600Q for 750-800 for DA but on this **** I get 600! 600 on DA when it's my best section!!!

I'm a graduate so I need at least average 700. Ran out of time massively on VR and QR and guessed a lot. Did anyone else do this on this mock?? My exam is in 12 days 😩 HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    #justsaying some of the questions asked could easily be googled such as selection process/style , entry requirements etc. and found on the relevant medical school's website, UCAS.com....
    Tell me about it, the UKCAT sticky thread is the absolute worst thread I've ever seen. It's literally the same 4 or 5 questions that are asked every other page. It'd be a great drinking game though; take a shot every time somebody asks whether x resource is representative of the real exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    Just did my first mock - Medify easy mock (scored using Kaplan) and got the most hurrendous score I am so upset. 630, 500, 650, 600. What what what.

I'm averaging 770 on Medify for AR but I could barely spot any of the patterns! And I'm on track using emedica, Kaplan and 600Q for 750-800 for DA but on this **** I get 600! 600 on DA when it's my best section!!!

I'm a graduate so I need at least average 700. Ran out of time massively on VR and QR and guessed a lot. Did anyone else do this on this mock?? My exam is in 12 days 😩 HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the same situation 😭😭😭😭 whenever I look at that timer I panic and flop everything!!! Earlier today I got 7/44 on VR (emedica). Someone please help me!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Tell me about it, the UKCAT sticky thread is the absolute worst thread I've ever seen. It's literally the same 4 or 5 questions that are asked every other page. It'd be a great drinking game though; take a shot every time somebody asks whether x resource is representative of the real exam.
    Lol I'm glad you agree with me. I thought I was being mean.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.