Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How are people revising for verbal reasoning? I'm concerned as the Medify questions are being too nice to me but the 1000Q book is horrific when it gets to the statement questions. I don't want to practice anymore questions from that book until a little closer to the date so I was wondering how else people revised VR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orlanda)
    Hey guys,

Any tips for the QR apart from 'flag the hard ones and come back?'
    Really struggling

Has anyone had any success stories where they've gone from being really **** at QR to getting a great score? Need some inspo about to give up ahah
    I was averaging 450 the day before and ended up with 800. Miracles do happen.
    I basically just came terms with the fact that I was never gonna be able to do all the questions in the time and learned to look out for the easier questions, basically concentrating on accuracy rather than speed. This meant questions where the calculations were simpler, not necessarily the ones with the least info. I used the 30 mins of DM which comes before QR to take a nice break, calm myself, learn how to use the calculator etc..

If I'm honest, the questions were more doable than I thought they were going to be so there is hope for you yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    How are people revising for verbal reasoning? I'm concerned as the Medify questions are being too nice to me but the 1000Q book is horrific when it gets to the statement questions. I don't want to practice anymore questions from that book until a little closer to the date so I was wondering how else people revised VR?
    Well VR s hard at the exam. In fact that is the section where people score the least when you look at the official Ukcat figures and the scores people have reported here. You can practise on easier questions if you want but that won't make the exam any easier. In fact two people have said on her eqrlier in the thread that they felt the VR at the exam with in line with the ISC questions and maybe even harder.

Soma better solution may be to carry on but at your own pace, making sure that you understand the answers rather than rush to do it under times conditions,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    Verbal IS hard, there is no denying it and at the exam I was wondering how they calibrated those questions because those with the long statements took ages just to read, let alone attempt to answer. However my guess is that it will be the same for everyone and so all it will mean is that the national average may be lower than in previous years, and therefore so will the cutoff thresholds applied by the uni.

But Whoknowswhy is right, the VR part of the exam is as hard if not harder than the ISC 1000 book. So keep at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p1n3appl3)
    I did my UKCAT today and this section was the one I struggled with the most. I was averaging like 450 - 500 in the mock tests I did in the days leading up and came out with an 800 so trust me when I say it is possible to do better.

1. The most important thing to not do is panic (easier said than done I know), as being overly stressed will mess with your brain function. The decision making section is half an hour long and comes before QR. Use this time to prepare for QR by making sure you can use the calculator and taking a moment to relax. This will speed you up in the real thing as being able to use the calculator quickly is vital and being a bit calmer will help you think clearer.

2. Find a tactic that works. I knew there was no way I was going to manage to do them all in the time (and I didn't in the real thing). I also found that the questions where there was loads to read stressed me out and slowed me down. I went through the test reading the questions and doing the ones I knew I could without too much hassle and then came back to the harder ones. This in itself takes practice as you need to learn to identify which questions are easier. You should also consider that flicking back and forth through the system can waste time.

3. Do lots of practice in converting units, percentage increase and decrease etc. and you will find the calculations will be easier to work out as they tend to repeat the types of questions.

Sorry this was really long, but best of luck with it, and don't forget to work on the other sections too, because if you do really well in them you can compensate.
    How many questions did you miss out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    How many questions did you miss out?
    8 or 9. So I did about 80%. BUT I still put an answer to all the questions and tried to make a relatively educated guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p1n3appl3)
    8 or 9. So I did about 80%. BUT I still put an answer to all the questions and tried to make a relatively educated guess.
    Fair enough, yeah I was thinking of aiming to do 7 sets and getting them all right instead of the full 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniAdmissions)
    Hi Bella909

Firstly don't panic! 5 weeks is plenty of time to improve before your test date.

Can I ask what resources your are using?

You could consider a course, either online or in an intensive one day. This would obviously cost you money but you would learn time saving techniques and strategies so it would potentially be worth the investment for you to go in to your test feeling confident under timed conditions. Let me know if you would like some more information about the courses we offer.

If you feel a course is not for you, then my advice is to make sure that the resources you have are the most up to date and comprehensive available. Then really you just need to keep practising. You should ideally be setting aside a few hours per day in the weeks leading up to your course and if you can do this, I'm sure you will see improvements.

I hope that is helpful to you... do let me know if you have any questions.

UniAdmissions
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    So we do not need to do the Decision Making section? Wow. For real? There are no repercussions for not answering that section?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Chikku_7)
    So we do not need to do the Decision Making section? Wow. For real? There are no repercussions for not answering that section?
    You can guess all of it if you like. I think it's sensible to just stretch your arms or something during that section.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing the online Kaplan course for the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips and potential resources regarding Abstract Reasoning. This, in my opinion is my weakest section as I struggle to find the pattern, particularly in timed condition. In addition to this, is the medify and ISC 1000Q UKCAT book similar to the real exam regarding the level of difficulty for this section?.

Your assistance and help in advance is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone done modify mock 3 yet? I did so well in medify mock 2 and got a decent score in the first one, but the third mock was terrible for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamina_123)
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips and potential resources regarding Abstract Reasoning. This, in my opinion is my weakest section as I struggle to find the pattern, particularly in timed condition. In addition to this, is the medify and ISC 1000Q UKCAT book similar to the real exam regarding the level of difficulty for this section?.

Your assistance and help in advance is much appreciated.
    The ISC book is ridiculously difficult for AR, so don't bother with that until you are very confident with it, and even then...
    Medify is quite similar, but it doesn't have two types of the questions (Apart from a couple of questions), which is annoying, but definitely use that for practice.

For now, don't bother with time constraints, focus on working it out and it will help a lot more than being forced to guess every question.

ReputationRep:
    In the actual exam have people come across double relationships such as '
    Both triangles ‘point’ downwards. If any of the circles or squares are black, the triangles are black. '
    or would it just be a case of : Set A: Both triangles point down Vs Set B: Both triangles point up.

I don't want to be looking too deeply in the exam for extra relationships if there is only one as I don't wanna waste time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKCATrocks)
    Ah okay. In that case the question is badly written. It should say 'his own' supervisor. In that case it is indeed likely an A or a B maybe because he should still talk the guy first, should he not?
    It should be B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    In the actual exam have people come across double relationships such as '
    Both triangles ‘point’ downwards. If any of the circles or squares are black, the triangles are black. '
    or would it just be a case of : Set A: Both triangles point down Vs Set B: Both triangles point up.

I don't want to be looking too deeply in the exam for extra relationships if there is only one as I don't wanna waste time
    Yes I did, and I think Carni26 who posted earlier did too.

I had stuff along the lines of: "if the arrow points to the left then the circle is black, if not then it is white; and the arrow is always pointing towards the circle."

And I am sure that one of mine was also of the type: "The number of circles is equal to the number of sides in the large shape. If the circles are white then the large shape is grey, if not the large shape is black".

But of course it's hard to know for sure because you will never know which ones you have got right and which ones you haven't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    Is anyone doing the online Kaplan course for the UKCAT?
    Yep, did you do the short test at the start yet. I ran out of time and got 2000 in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by See-If-I-Care)
    Yes I did, and I think Carni26 who posted earlier did too.

I had stuff along the lines of: "if the arrow points to the left then the circle is black, if not then it is white; and the arrow is always pointing towards the circle."

And I am sure that one of mine was also of the type: "The number of circles is equal to the number of sides in the large shape. If the circles are white then the large shape is grey, if not the large shape is black".

But of course it's hard to know for sure because you will never know which ones you have got right and which ones you haven't.
    fair enough, tahnks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carpenoctem)
    Well done for getting through the UKCAT!
    Just a few questions about the real exam for anyone who has taken it this year (especially AR and VR).

Did you find it harder/easier than the official UKCAT AR Practice Test.
    Thoughts on Medify/Kaplan (if you used these resources) in terms of matching the difficulty of the actual exam?
    And finally, are there any online websites that actually match the level of the real thing for sections like VR?

** also, were the patterns in AR pretty easy to spot or did they take long?
    For me I found AR much harder than the official UKCAT practice test. And the same for VR. But others have found AR in line with the official practice tests so there seems to be a variety of experiences. Medify don't cover the full range of AR questions so it's hard to comment. Like I just mentioned earlier there were quite a few complex relationships in mine.

Many people seem to score lower in VR and that may be because the wordy questions take longer than anticipated. My VR was much harder than Medify, more along the lines of the line of the ISC 1000Q book.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.