Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marli-Ruth)
    I got an A at AS 164 ums
    How well do I need to do this year? Or how likely is an A*/A?
    About the same or better? Or can I slack a bit?
    You need another 156 UMS for an A overall. So like 78 PSYA3&4. You would then need another 24 to get an A*. So I'd keep working hard, I wouldn't risk slacking off tbh.

I like to adopt the thinking "Work for an A* and expect a D." After the exam just forget about it, there is nothing you can do to change it after you walk out of the exam, so just get on with the next one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mephestic)
    Hey - yeah that is correct. You can only now use reductionism in reference to biological causes (genes/hormones). The examiners made an issue about this a couple of years ago and made it a point to students to no longer use it willy-nilly on everything. So use reductionism only in reference to evaluating biological theories - yes.
    Hey Saj, I have your books for relationships, aggression and eating and they're great! I have a question though about the influence of culture on relationships- when evaluating studies e.g. one on the importance of love, when you link it back would it be okay to say like, "therefore limiting the validity of the notion that non-western cultures have relationships in the absence of love"? Basically, I'm struggling with the fact that its not a theory that you're relate it back to so i'm worried my evaluation points are a bit unfocused. Please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliewylie)
    You need another 156 UMS for an A overall. So like 78 PSYA3&4. You would then need another 24 to get an A*. So I'd keep working hard, I wouldn't risk slacking off tbh.

I like to adopt the thinking "Work for an A* and expect a D." After the exam just forget about it, there is nothing you can do to change it after you walk out of the exam, so just get on with the next one.
    Thank you Natalie
    So is the A* realistic?
    And 78ums on PSYA3&4 are those high A's or low A's?

ReputationRep:
    Hey - yeah that is correct. You can only now use reductionism in reference to biological causes (genes/hormones). The examiners made an issue about this a couple of years ago and made it a point to students to no longer use it willy-nilly on everything. So use reductionism only in reference to evaluating biological theories - yes.
    Hi thanks for the reply, it has definitely cleared things, last thing has aqa ever repeated questions the following year? Many of us are wondering whether to revise last years stuff in as much detail, so just wanted to know whether questions have been repeated.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Natalie
    So is the A* realistic?
    78ums on both is basically a very high B as 80ums is an A! i need the same as you to get an A overall

ReputationRep:
    A question on the eating behaviour topic: for the 'Attitudes to food and eating behaviour' section, what areas do I need to cover. My books all described mood as the central one, with health and culture also features and often interlinked with each other. One book however focuses predominantly on social learning theory (peer and parental influence) and operant conditioning (food as a reward) (i.e behaviourism). I have a lot of notes on this as well, since my teacher taught us a lot about it in class. I can't find many other references to it however apart from that one text book so I'm confused as if I need to talk about this or just stick to mood, culture and health. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whilerisleeps)
    hi does anyone know if you can get an 24 marker on just ultradian or a 24 marker on just infradian? i dont know whether to put it on one essay plan or two
    Technically you can get either, so a 24 mark on Infradian OR on ultradian OR a 'biological rhythms' essay. Any combination can technically come up, but the rhythms by themselves are really unlikely

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to deterministic, does that only have to be used with biological theories as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunDun111)
    When it comes to deterministic, does that only have to be used with biological theories as well?
    Nope, just reductionism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Nope, just reductionism
    Right thanks! also, with real world application how do i make it sound like a A03 point, when i write it out it just sounds like an A02 point so examiner might get confused..

ReputationRep:
    Hi do you mind if i send you a gender essay to look at too! Its just Im really confused with a topic!
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Go for it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Natalie
    So is the A* realistic?
    Edit to what I said earlier. 80 UMS is an A.
    They're low As, an A is 80-89 UMS and 90 UMS up is an A*.

You're looking to pretty much do the same as last year (you can even lose 4 marks this year (160)) to get an A

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how likely an A* is going to be, it depends on how everyone finds the papers. Last year it was 51/72 raw marks for an A* in PSYA3 and 64/83 in PSYA4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasingstokeBoy)
    A question on the eating behaviour topic: for the 'Attitudes to food and eating behaviour' section, what areas do I need to cover. My books all described mood as the central one, with health and culture also features and often interlinked with each other. One book however focuses predominantly on social learning theory (peer and parental influence) and operant conditioning (food as a reward) (i.e behaviourism). I have a lot of notes on this as well, since my teacher taught us a lot about it in class. I can't find many other references to it however apart from that one text book so I'm confused as if I need to talk about this or just stick to mood, culture and health. Thanks.
    Mood, culture and health are the required factors. Social Learning Theory is the old spec but you will still get marks from it if you (miraculously) find time to fit it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxsv)
    me too im dying. i've got his3j two days after, then unit 4 is like 4 days after?????
    god that sucks, i've got unit 4 and my chemistry exam on the same day.......at least we'll get these psychology exams over with pretty quick, they finish quite early. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliewylie)
    Mood, culture and health are the required factors. Social Learning Theory is the old spec but you will still get marks from it if you (miraculously) find time to fit it in.
    Okay, thanks, I may include some of it under culture or health if it fits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artymaniac)
    Hi do you mind if i send you a gender essay to look at too! Its just Im really confused with a topic!
    Yeah of course

ReputationRep:
    Hello id be grateful if anyone could help - for relationships PSYA3 will they ever asks for TWO EXPLANATIONF OF MAINTENNACE OF RELATIONSHIPS? I only have enough content for 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violetvictorious)
    Hello id be grateful if anyone could help - for relationships PSYA3 will they ever asks for TWO EXPLANATIONF OF MAINTENNACE OF RELATIONSHIPS? I only have enough content for 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im pretty sure its almost impossible to not mention two theories? Both are big theories which is SET and Equity theory. so although it wouldnt ask for two normally two are included in an essay.

Also bear in mind normally it would say theorieS which is plural, rather than just A THEORY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM)
    I thought Akert et al was the one who said about those who instigated a relationship ending has less negative consequences than the non instigator? Showing individual differences with theory doesnt explain.
    And im sure ducks model is only 4 stages??
    you could use Akert to support or to criticise, it depends on how you use the studies to get A02 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mesosleepy)
    you could use Akert to support or to criticise, it depends on how you use the studies to get A02 marks
    Youre results from akert is completely diff from mine since youre talking about 6 stages??? But theres only 4 for duck and 5 for Lee.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.