Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoda123)
    I don't know what else I can do to revise, done all the pp, learned all the reactions, I really hope a proton NMR long answer question comes up and also the problems with optical isomers and how to separate them question
    Same. I have no idea what else to do and when i stop I feel guilty for not working. I hope the nmr question isn't too complicated though. What are you aiming for in this exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    If you're going from an aldehyde to a carboxylic acid do you still have to reflux it with acidified potassium dichromate?
    no reflux is not required, i checked earlier in the book and theres no mention, only if you go from alcohol to carboxylic acid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what else I can do to revise, done all the pp, learned all the reactions, I really hope a proton NMR long answer question comes up and also the problems with optical isomers and how to separate them question
    Skim this over a few times between between now and the exam.

https://goo.gl/nVvgw9

ReputationRep:
    worst part is that the exam in afternoon, i just want it over and done with

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    there might be a zwitterion question for an amino acid with multiple groups of amine and carboxyl groups.
    If the alpha amino acid has an r group that has cooh or nh2 and you're asked to draw the zwitterion, do you have to also write them as coo- / nh3+ ?

ReputationRep:
    I've done Legacy papers '02-'06, OCR A papers all at least twice and a couple of Edexcel papers. Just have to think I can't have prepared any more and not stress too much

ReputationRep:
    guys i am really bad at naming besides the usual as stuff, what am i supposed to know how to name?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    If you're going from an aldehyde to a carboxylic acid do you still have to reflux it with acidified potassium dichromate?
    (Original post by ranz)
    no reflux is not required, i checked earlier in the book and theres no mention, only if you go from alcohol to carboxylic acid

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, no reflux for aldehyde. It's distillation for partial oxidation of primary alcohols

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    If the alpha amino acid has an r group that has cooh or nh2 and you're asked to draw the zwitterion, do you have to also write them as coo- / nh3+ ?
    remember overall neutral charge, so lets say there were 2 nh and 2 cooh then yh u do both coo- and nh3+ but if theres an uneven number u only give equal a charge if that makes sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    Same. I have no idea what else to do and when i stop I feel guilty for not working. I hope the nmr question isn't too complicated though. What are you aiming for in this exam?
    I need around 174 UMS combined in the exams to get an A,just need that to meet my dentistry offer, don't care about A* at all
    Just hope I don't mess up somehow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RetroSpectro)
    It could be shown on either side it does not matter as long as a full repeat unit is displayed
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    No. I remember seeing a question like this today where the R group unaffected was in the ALLOW section of the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rust Cohle)
    Skim this over a few times between between now and the exam.

https://goo.gl/nVvgw9
    cheers man, will do!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got good question(s) on triglycerides/fatty acids etc.?

ReputationRep:
    I need around 174 UMS combined in the exams to get an A,just need that to meet my dentistry offer, don't care about A* at all
    Just hope I don't mess up somehow
    Good luck! Hopefully the paper will be better than last year.

(Original post by Rust Cohle)
    No. I remember seeing a question like this today where the R group unaffected was in the ALLOW section of the mark scheme.
    I looked up lysine (r group has nh2) zwitterion and the r group was not affected at all. But in acidic conditions below the isoelectric point the r group nh2 would turn to nh3+ And vice versa for aspartic acid that has cooh in the r group.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    i spoke to 10 of my friends doing this paper tomorrow, so glad we got 58/60 for the 2015 ahah all of us got that what a coincidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    guys i am really bad at naming besides the usual as stuff, what am i supposed to know how to name?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Things will pretty much any functional group in our spec like nitro, phenyl, amine, carboxyl, hydroxyl, aldehyde, etc.

ReputationRep:
    who wants to get bucked head after exam ???

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely accepted that I will fail this tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KB_97)
    Don't know if someone's answered this already, but a zwitterion 'contains both charges so there is no overall net charge'. Hence only one NH2 is changed to NH3+, and one COOH to COO-. Otherwise there might not be 'no overall net charge'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.