ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalCon05)
    Did he make a prediction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teacher's pet)
    My prediction for relationship cluster:

Compare how the poets represent Death in To His Coy Mistress and one other poem.

What do people think about this prediction?

I would compare it with Harmonium
    I really do NOT like Harmonium and so if that comes up could you compare it with Sonnet 116 and say how in To His Coy Mistress the speaker wants to kind of live in the moment because you can't have sex when you're dead and what not and then say but in Sonnet 116 love is strong that it can't be stopped by the boundaries of death? And this shows two different representations of death by Marvell and Shakespeare

Basically, I'll do anything to avoid Harmonium lol.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Character and Voice? hat are your predictions? I think the ruined maid or give might come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786)
    Intertextual allusions ? Can you explain what that is ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basically referring to other prominent texts which the poem perhaps has resemblance to. So for example Cassa Blanca can be used as an intertextual allusion for Give.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Pip, Character and Voice.
    Using BBC Bitesize to go over the main plots and themes of each poem.
    From other opinions, Give and The Ruined Maid or Ozymandias may come up.

ReputationRep:
    what relationship poems link with each other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mairossanna)
    oh I've never been told this??? lets hope if one does come up you can just chose the other option?
    https://community.tes.com/threads/fa...estion.520082/

I came across this that states that AQA wont be putting those poems in the exam
    Though, just because they wont come up, doesnt mean that you cant use those poems as a comparison

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish235)
    Here's what I do and I used this to get an A*~ in the mocks: The opening paragraph I just give an intro about the form of both poems, so for example 'The ruined maid is written in anapestic trimeter' this enable you to get the marks early on, and even if you don't talk about all the structural elements, you still get credit!
    For the second paragraph, I would pick one of the structural elements and talk about how they help to carry the given theme in the poem. Whilst doing this, I in cooperate linguistic devices used such as syntax etc.
    I would do this technique until i cover the main points and remember to use the vital skills such as imagery, poetic devices etc.

I would then repeat this process with the other poem, and slot the paragraphs in comparison to the given poem. So for example if my first paragraph is talking about The fall of women in The Ruined maid, My next paragraph would be comparing the devices used by the poet in the poem I choose to represent the same issue.
    If i have time I may conclude, but it's not necessary and if you are aiming for the A* try and add some Intertextual allusions!
    Good luck and hope that helps!
    Thank you so much! Good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    If Brothers came up (really hope not) does anyone have any good interpretations of it because overall I feel like the poem doesn't give you much basis for different thoughts or an imaginative way of interpreting it..

ReputationRep:
    If brothers came up what would you compare it to?
    How would you structure the essay for part A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R2-D2)
    https://community.tes.com/threads/fa...estion.520082/

I came across this that states that AQA wont be putting those poems in the exam
    Though, just because they wont come up, doesnt mean that you cant use those poems as a comparison
    So for character and voice higher tier, will the ruined maid, brendan glacier and give not come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEstudentt)
    So for character and voice higher tier, will the ruined maid, brendan glacier and give not come up?
    I dont do that cluster but based on that link, I think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahrez)
    If brothers came up what would you compare it to?
    How would you structure the essay for part A
    If question is based on family relationships you can compare it to Sister Maude, Praise Song for My Mother, Harmonium, Nettles and Born Yesterday

With structure I'd normally go intro, 2 comparisons and 2 differences if possible and then a conclusion. But in the exam I just write whatever I can think of

ReputationRep:
    what poems have already come up and which poems have not come up at all in character and voice?

ReputationRep:
    For the comparison essay, is it best to make your topic sentence thematic (e.g. both poets present death as being .......) or to do with techniques (e.g. both poets use repetition to......) or like a combination of the two idk ????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganMcAlister)
    Flag, Poppies, The Right Word, the Falling Leaves and Futility haven't came up in a few years!
    thank you x hoping for Futility or The Right Word now

ReputationRep:
    So what poems could you link with the Ruined Maid structurally? I might link with ozymandias as that has a structure that is ironic to the meaning (sonnet is usually used for love), or is that too vague a comparison. I think maybe Les Grand Seigneurs as it has a lot of punctuation... does punctuation count as structure or language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophxxs)
    For the comparison essay, is it best to make your topic sentence thematic (e.g. both poets present death as being .......) or to do with techniques (e.g. both poets use repetition to......) or like a combination of the two idk ????

My teacher has told me to do four short paragraphs, with two of each based on the same idea but with the separate comparison at the beginning of the second paragraph.
    e.g:

The Clown Punk and Checking out me history

1. The clown punk is not accepted in society and we can see this from ....[Go on to analyse]
    2. Checking out my history is also about a persona in which they are taught that their identity is not valid, this is illustrated through the idea that his eyes are being bandaged... [analyse]
    3. Language in the clown punk is very simplistic to show the idea that judgement on others is something child like and unnecessary [ include points about structure within this]
    4. Language such as a native dialect is used in checking out me history to not only hold on to what little identity the man has left...[analyse a quote].. but also to put the reader in his shoes to allow them to become isolated
    If you want to you could in this paragraph also compare the idea that rather than using language, as the clown punk is in third person, the clown punk has used his looks to express his identity rather than voice.
    i think its good to include the last bit as it shows you can do close comparison and it saves having to think about having an equal balance through three separate paragraphs of comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mairossanna)
    Okay so The Falling Leaves, Flag, and The Right Word have never come up, but that's not to say it will be one of these... Bayonet Charge has been done twice and so has Mametz Wood so it is unlikely to be one of these two.
    How are you revising???
    Reading them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.