Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Well apparently the telegraph think its the sane thing
    It isn't though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Really ? I thought wasting 315 million a week was a economic disadvantage but hey-ho
    Its probably wrong to call it wasting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What I don't get is how Gove can say we can control immigration and avoid EU regulations, and at the same time have an effective free-trade agreement.

Stopping free movement and refusing to follow regulations necessarily means that trade will take a hit, and inversely an effective free-trade agreement would mean agreeing to most regulations and possibly to free movement as well.

Gove seems to be saying you can have the best of both worlds. He'd have a lot more credibility if he came out and prioritised one or the other, or at least admitted there would have to be a compromise.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    What I don't get is how Gove can say we can control immigration and avoid EU regulations, and at the same time have an effective free-trade agreement.

Stopping free movement and refusing to follow regulations necessarily means that trade will take a hit, and inversely an effective free-trade agreement would mean agreeing to most regulations and possibly to free movement as well.

Gove seems to be saying you can have the best of both worlds. He'd have a lot more credibility if he came out and prioritised one or the other, or at least admitted there would have to be a compromise.
    Except the only way we need both uncontrolled migration and 100% of industries having to follow 100% of regulations is by being inside the EU, at least one can be dealt with by exit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Except the only way we need both uncontrolled migration and 100% of industries having to follow 100% of regulations is by being inside the EU, at least one can be dealt with by exit.
    Yes, but only one really. Gove should be upfront about that rather than promoting an impossible agreement with the EU which would give us everything we want.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes, but only one really. Gove should be upfront about that rather than promoting an impossible agreement with the EU which would give us everything we want.
    I didn't know Korea had free movement.

ReputationRep:
    You've lost me

ReputationRep:
    Theres a difference in that korea is miles away, whereas we're neighbours. Even the usa has to abide by eu regulations to trade with them (though TTIP, the main cause of my euroscepticism, may put an end to that)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You've lost me
    Hes implying that we wouldnt have to abide by the eus rules to trade with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We can have net emigration tomorrow if we like.

ReputationRep:
    The n

(Original post by Lime-man)
    Theres a difference in that korea is miles away, whereas we're neighbours. Even the usa has to abide by eu regulations to trade with them (though TTIP, the main cause of my euroscepticism, may put an end to that)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The notion that the Tories would not immediately go for a TTIP like agreement is amusing. Its the French slowng it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You've lost me
    Korea have a FTA and get they don't have to have free !movement of people, in fact, not do the vast majority of parties.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The EU does not however force all the regulations on the entire nation, it is those who trade with them, I.e. only 5pc of our businesses, and only some of the regulations, I believe in the case of Norway, since the inners are so obsessed with believing Norway is one of only two nations with a FTA only takes something like 9pc of regulation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hence why referenda are awful ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Korea have a FTA and get they don't have to have free !movement of people, in fact, not do the vast majority of parties.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but a FTA without free movement would restrict access to the single market, and therefore access to the EU market for goods and services would be more limited than had been the case previously.

Stopping free movement means trade with the EU takes a hit, that is inevitable. A free-trade agreement is not as good as unfettered access to the single market.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes but a FTA without free movement would restrict access to the single market, and therefore access to the EU market for goods and services would be more limited than had been the case previously.

Stopping free movement means trade with the EU takes a hit, that is inevitable. A free-trade agreement is not as good as unfettered access to the single market.
    A FTA means not having to turn away competent and skilled workers due to quotas to make way for incompetent or unskilled workers; it means not having to pay large sums of money for access to a market, nor being told how to spend the little bit we get back; it means being able to form bilateral trade deals that are better for us and take less time to form, particularly with the parts of the world that are not shrinking. In a century people will look back on the referendum and say "why did people want to stay in the EU because for trade with such a tiny part of the world economy?"

ReputationRep:
    Migration within the EU is not uncontrolled ffs
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Migration within the EU is not uncontrolled ffs
    I suppose there is the upper cap of the entire population of the EU

ReputationRep:
    I suppose there is the upper cap of the entire population of the EU
    Prospective migrants need to show the capability to sustain themselves within their destination country. 'Benefit tourism' within the EU is the fault of the UK government, NOT the EU.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Apparently Denmark is the safest holiday destination .... according to the daily express
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Prospective migrants need to show the capability to sustain themselves within their destination country. 'Benefit tourism' within the EU is the fault of the UK government, NOT the EU.
    But it's not ....... Apparently ungrateful " Migrants " are entitled to benefits according to the EU...... why do you think that Cameron tried to get benefit reform during his failed negotiation

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.