Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    shamika whats ur opinion on the paper ?
    Don't have it so I can't say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    How do you have the paper? How do you even have the time for STEP (or are Warwick exams over)?
    I have one more exam that I am fairly resigned to doing badly in as I missed all the lectures (and it is first year, and it is not core, and it isn't hugely contributive to my average, 8% of the year I think). A user sent it to me, I suppose I could/should upload it now that I think of it, if it isn't already up there, at some point, although I had just started actually doing a bit of revision..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I have one more exam that I am fairly resigned to doing badly in as I missed all the lectures (and it is first year, and it is not core, and it isn't hugely contributive to my average, 8% of the year I think). A user sent it to me, I suppose I could/should upload it now that I think of it, if it isn't already up there, at some point, although I had just started actually doing a bit of revision..
    If you could upload it, that would be great. Good luck for the last exam!

ReputationRep:
    what's Warwick like

ReputationRep:
    Zacken also has it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Zacken also has it.
    Didn't want to upload it without your permission.

ReputationRep:
    courtesy of Insight314, assuming it won't be minded
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is in essence very similar just less wordy. I was just thinking one could do something rigorous/that doesn't rely on just saying "keep doing this until you stop" but considering STEPpers aren't supposed to have done set theory should probs be full marks for that kind of argument
    (A well-ordering principle method for instance like the one used for integers in general)
    Well, 'keep doing this until you stop' is actually valid. And this is more number theory than set theory.

For example, prime factorisation of the integers. We know a prime factorisation exists for every integer by the 'keep doing this until you stop' analogue. This is because no integer can be infinitely broken down into more and more factors - each time you decompose, you decrease the size of the integers you have, so decomposing infinitely would imply your 'integer' is infinite. If you wanted more convincing, suppose a prime factorisation exists for the first k integers, now if k+1 is prime leave it, else write it as a product of two integers between 1 and k+1. By the induction hypothesis, the product integers can be decomposed into primes, and so can k+1.

The only thing that 'keep doing this until you stop' does NOT prove is the uniqueness of prime factorisation, or the uniqueness of T-prime factorisation in our question. But the question doesn't care about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Didn't want to upload it without your permission.
    Now I feel guilty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porridgepie)
    yes i thought my brain was being stupid again also the last part of 12 what on earth did they want, i got p(1)+.5p(2) but bit after when it asked for a generalisation of first parts or something
    See the solution thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecasx)
    Well, 'keep doing this until you stop' is actually valid. And this is more number theory than set theory.

For example, prime factorisation of the integers. We know a prime factorisation exists for every integer by the 'keep doing this until you stop' analogue. This is because no integer can be infinitely broken down into more and more factors - each time you decompose, you decrease the size of the integers you have, so decomposing infinitely would imply your 'integer' is infinite. If you wanted something more convincing, suppose a prime factorisation exists for the first k integers, now if k+1 is prime leave it, else write it as a product of two integers between 1 and k+1. By the induction hypothesis, the product integers can be decomposed into primes, and so can k+1.

The only thing that 'keep doing this until you stop' does NOT prove is the uniqueness of prime factorisation, or the uniqueness of T-prime factorisation in our question. But the question doesn't care about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yes it is valid. Perhaps rigorous is not the right word, sorry, maybe "clean".

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes it is valid. Perhaps rigorous is not the right word, sorry, maybe "clean".
    It's the easiest way to show a T-prime factorisation exists

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Here's a slightly more readable version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...0N4aF80WVNMYkk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasfxekl)
    what's Warwick like
    It's pretty good. Most exams have been easy but I might be proven wrong by my results. Most lecturers are good, the supervisor system is good, the people are generally pretty chilled. During term time you have to do a lot of assignments but they usually aren't that hard, just time consuming, and they help you learn the material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Zacken also has it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How'd M4 go?

ReputationRep:
    See the solution thread
    thanks mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathHysteria)
    Nope - 9am BST (GMT+1).
    Oh how interesting. Here in india we write it at 2:30pm IST (GMT +4.5) so its the same time as you guys. I guess as long as the local time corresponding to 9am BST isn't too odd, they try to coordinate the time everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, so for myself:

Q1 - not sure if I showed it didn't hold for n=4 convincingly and left my answer for (ii)(b) as ((7^7 +)^3 + 7's)((7^7 + 1)^3 - 7's) so probably dropped 3 or so marks here. 17/20

Q2 - full. 19/20

Q3 - didn't realise sin(-4) was negative, so probs cut a mark here. 18/20

Q4 - did some weird stuff? I differentiate first bit correctly, managed to get up to v/sqrt(v^2 + 1) = kx + c where v = f ' (x) by using the first part and then re-arranged for sqrt(v^2 + 1), cubed it to get (v^2 +1)^(3/2) and then plugged it back into the original equation to get f '' (x) / v^3 = k / (kx+c)^3 and then integrated both sides.

Not sure how much to give myself for that? 10 marks?

Q10 - full except that for showing e < 1/3, I made a teeny slip, so cut a mark. 19/20

Q11 - did the first bit about getting the equation, found the maximum value via differentiation, plugged it back into the formula but along the way miscopied from one line to the next and hence didn't get a correct quadratic. (solved the incorrect quadratic as well) but then moved on and got the distance at the last part to be h/cos 2alpha but couldn't plug in my cos 2alpha since I'd got the incorrect version.

How much should this get? 11 marks?

That totals 94... a middling 1.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, so for myself:

Q1 - not sure if I showed it didn't hold for n=4 convincingly and left my answer for (ii)(b) as ((7^7 +)^3 + 7's)((7^7 + 1)^3 - 7's) so probably dropped 3 or so marks here. 17/20

Q2 - full. 19/20

Q3 - didn't realise sin(-4) was negative, so probs cut a mark here. 18/20

Q4 - did some weird stuff? I differentiate first bit correctly, managed to get up to v/sqrt(v^2 + 1) = kx + c where v = f ' (x) by using the first part and then re-arranged for sqrt(v^2 + 1), cubed it to get (v^2 +1)^(3/2) and then plugged it back into the original equation to get f '' (x) / v^3 = k / (kx+c)^3 and then integrated both sides.

Not sure how much to give myself for that? 10 marks?

Q10 - full except that for showing e < 1/3, I made a teeny slip, so cut a mark. 19/20

Q11 - did the first bit about getting the equation, found the maximum value via differentiation, plugged it back into the formula but along the way miscopied from one line to the next and hence didn't get a correct quadratic. (solved the incorrect quadratic as well) but then moved on and got the distance at the last part to be h/cos 2alpha but couldn't plug in my cos 2alpha since I'd got the incorrect version.

How much should this get? 11 marks?

That totals 94... a middling 1.
    ur *****ing me right? Theres no way I couldve got a higher mark than u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    ur *****ing me right? Theres no way I couldve got a higher mark than u
    I'm entirely not surprised. We both knew that that was gonna happen.

I'm shite at exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.