UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

daffy91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
omg im an actual ****** :| i cant do this :O mines 2mz :| i can barely get like 5 of the quantitative reasonin bits done in the time and now i get like a couple more marks cs i know what the answers gona be >.< anyone got any advice for this bit? i fail. =]
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
Hey thanks for the advice ben and isometrix. I know the book is crappy and yeah it definitely did give me a false sense of security especially with QR. Only problem is, I really don't know where to go from here. The practice test was a bit of a flop, causing my confidence to sky-rocket to the ground!! Is more practice going to help? Really unsure what to do! :no:
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by daffy91)
omg im an actual ****** :| i cant do this :O mines 2mz :| i can barely get like 5 of the quantitative reasonin bits done in the time and now i get like a couple more marks cs i know what the answers gona be >.< anyone got any advice for this bit? i fail. =]
... ditto for what daffy said...Dude you really aren't alone!!
Yasin1
Report 10 years ago
Hey there, this is my first post so be nice!
I just did my UKCAT today and got:

Verbal 640
Quant 720
Abstract 610
Decision 710

Average 670

Could anyone give any advice on whther my score is good enough for the likes of Kings, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Nottinham.
Also if anyone knows, could you give a vague indication of the kind of scores these uni's are looking for - I know kings and Edinburgh want fairly haigh scores.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Yasin1
Report 10 years ago
Also...sorry for the dodgy spelling...was trying to type rather quickly!
daffy91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im doin my ukcat for kings
you did great dude =]
id be happy with that lol
my brains just gone dead from all the practice i been doin since the morning >.< whats the point anymore =(
xxx
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FizzyOrange)
Hey thanks for the advice ben and isometrix. I know the book is crappy and yeah it definitely did give me a false sense of security especially with QR. Only problem is, I really don't know where to go from here. The practice test was a bit of a flop, causing my confidence to sky-rocket to the ground!! Is more practice going to help? Really unsure what to do! :no:
i was like you...even though i got 281 in my maths AS, i could only get up to about 14 questions out of the 40 in the QR (a lot of them were wrong too). i simply suck working under that much time pressure. but don't worry, i think they mark the QR VERY leniently in the real thing - i answered about 14 properly and guessed the rest and got 710 in that section. in the AR, the mark scheme explains the answer so try and learn a few techniques from that. you can't really do much apart from that...i spent nearly a whole week doing practice questions from all kind of websites and evidently it didn't help much.
kitkat279
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Raquel//)
Right, I'm gonna tell you what mines says.

1. Your responses suggests a stronger self-belief, combined with a more positive and optimistic outlook on life, when compared to the responses of other people. This suggests that you are happy to take on challenges and take initiatives. When you have the expertise and good judgement this is likely to work well, but you may need to beware of being over-optimistic in other circumstances.

2. When compared to the responses of other poeple, your responses suggest a higher desire to make things happen, together with a stronger determination to work towards your goals. Your preferred style tends to be systematic and reliable, making steady progress towards your goals. When taken to the extreme, such a style can becom over-structured, and there may be times when letting go and being a little more flexible would be useful.

3. Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest that you feel more positive about things and are less likely to leet things get on top of you. If you experience set-backs, you may believe that you will bounce back, get over them quickly and remain relatively open and cheerful. This may mean that you tend to cope well under pressure but you may need to consider whether your positive orientation is always realistic.

Anyone else got anything like this?

I got an identical non- cognitive thing!! seems like the UKCAT is producing very original descriptions!!
IndiaRubber
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by x.beth.x)
I'm sure it will be fine. And you are joking? The only section I actually managed to finish (i.e without completely random guesses) was DA. VR and QR I did guess a lot. Worked for QR but obviously not for VR so well.

whee! that actually made me feel better.. as well as the fact that people seem to be guessing their way through the QR!!

how did everyone go about guessing? Wouldn't it be better to stick to one letter when guessing so you have a higher chance of getting a correct answer at some point rather than the two extremes of most or none?

im going to draw now. screw practice! D:
FizzyOrange
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=Yasin1]Hey there, this is my first post so be nice!
I just did my UKCAT today and got:

Verbal 640
Quant 720
Abstract 610
Decision 710

Average 670

Hey Yasin1 this is a great score! many congrats!!

(Original post by Isometrix)
i was like you...even though i got 281 in my maths AS, i could only get up to about 14 questions out of the 40 in the QR (a lot of them were wrong too). i simply suck working under that much time pressure. but don't worry, i think they mark the QR VERY leniently in the real thing - i answered about 14 properly and guessed the rest and got 710 in that section. in the AR, the mark scheme explains the answer so try and learn a few techniques from that. you can't really do much apart from that...i spent nearly a whole week doing practice questions from all kind of websites and evidently it didn't help much.
Thanks for this Iso. I've never had issues with maths either so to be struggling on this section, which i thought i would do alright in came as a bit of a shock! Thanks for letting me know about your experience, it has calmed my nerves down a little!

Hmmm so it would seem that you can get a good score on QR, even if you don't get half way?

xxx
x.beth.x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IndiaRubber)
whee! that actually made me feel better.. as well as the fact that people seem to be guessing their way through the QR!!

how did everyone go about guessing? Wouldn't it be better to stick to one letter when guessing so you have a higher chance of getting a correct answer at some point rather than the two extremes of most or none?

im going to draw now. screw practice! D:
Umm I was having a minor breakdown during QR because all my questions at the start were sooo long so I had to guess all of them. So if I'm honest I can't actually remember what button I was clicking for them :p:
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FizzyOrange)

Hmmm so it would seem that you can get a good score on QR, even if you don't get half way?

xxx
most definitely. a lot of people here have found that the case. have a look at the tsr spreadsheet, the highest mean score was from QR!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621214
x.beth.x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
most definitely. a lot of people here have found that the case. have a look at the tsr spreadsheet, the highest mean score was from QR!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621214
I'm convinced they are going to discount the QR this year :yep:
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
please don't say that, it was my highest scoring section!
x.beth.x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
please don't say that, it was my highest scoring section!
Me too, but can't you see the similarities of this year's QR section with last years AR?
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I was worrying about that when compiling the spreadsheet and listening to everyone saying they hadn't answered many questions.

Hopefully, it's just marked leniently rather than falsely and so won't be discounted!

Edit: I wish the AR were discounted. :p:
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Me too, but can't you see the similarities of this year's QR section with last years AR?
i know...but my average will drop down to 600! life is so unfair. i wouldn't mind them discounting the VR...
x.beth.x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i know...but my average will drop down to 600! life is so unfair. i wouldn't mind them discounting the VR...
My average would drop to about 665 or something. VR to be discounted all the way! :p:
Magician
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
haha dont say that!
x.beth.x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What makes it even more suspicious is everyone seems to be horrified by the prospect that QR might be discounted. lol

I've been thinking it for ages. Ever since I got my results really. But I kind of didn't want to say anything and then jinx the situation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (468)
38.08%
No - but I will (95)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.11%

Watched Threads