Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    Have you read anything from the French book list yet?
    I'm attempting to read Les Liaisons Dangereuses
    It's so looong and it's full of the tenses teachers say you'll never come across, like the second form of the past conditional... =S

Apparently, many people just read them in English first to get a feel for the plot - may have to do that with the others =S
    Haven't started yet as I've just started my IB finals today, so have been revising instead. I think I might do that. I'm actually getting a bit scared by it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm almost tempted to email someone and start doing some reading now. Ah, the joys of gap-yearing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganeira)
    I know what you mean. :| Well apparently it's 'vital' I read and know in detail 10 listed books before the course even starts, and I have another 11 or so to buy. Some of them are really rare and are likely to cost quite a lot. However, there's no guarantee I'm going to get in, as my offer's so high, and I'd only get the book grant if I get in. So I'm a bit apprehensive as I don't really want to buy them all. I'm also dreading the length of the Linguistics reading list.
    10?? I haven't even got my reading list yet, I just chose Les Liaisons Dangereuses off the Prelims handbook.

Looks like August the 18th onwards will be really busy (if I get the grades)

Yea, 40 on the IB seems a little harsh, as from what my friend tells me, a score like that is considerably harder than 3 As

Well done on the Aberyswyth scholarship exam (I'm assuming you took it?) - someone in my year got an unconditional for Biology and Aber is his top choice so he's been lounging around the 6th form area looking all happy >=(

Good luck on your exams!

ReputationRep:
    10?? I haven't even got my reading list yet, I just chose Les Liaisons Dangereuses off the Prelims handbook.

Looks like August the 18th onwards will be really busy (if I get the grades)

Yea, 40 on the IB seems a little harsh, as from what my friend tells me, a score like that is considerably harder than 3 As

Well done on the Aberyswyth scholarship exam (I'm assuming you took it?) - someone in my year got an unconditional for Biology and Aber is his top choice so he's been lounging around the 6th form area looking all happy >=(

Good luck on your exams!
    Which college will you be at? It might be different for other colleges.
    I know, I have to say I regret it now. I wish I'd have done A Levels.
    I got a Merit Award, not a scholarship, but I was chuffed nonetheless. I decided to just take a shot at it as I didn't have anything to lose!
    Haha, lucky him! Seems like such a good idea now.
    Thank you! Good luck for yours and with Les Liasons Dangereuses... :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omio)
    Hi! I'm an international and have an unconditional offer. I need a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) to be issued by my college before I can apply for a visa. Should I wait till August too or would the college send me these documents earlier?
    I don't see why the college couldn't issue it now if your place has been confirmed. On the other hand, I don't know how things work for overseas students. Liz Howdill would probably be the person to email to see if you can get things moved along.

ReputationRep:
    When does Oxford's year end? And when does it start?

(Doing Student Finance)

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakildo)
    When does Oxford's year end? And when does it start?

(Doing Student Finance)

Thanks.
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_univer...s_of_term.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Hmm, I'm almost tempted to email someone and start doing some reading now. Ah, the joys of gap-yearing...
    Exactly how I feel - I might as well get started now! What subject are you again? I've found this - http://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/text/330/rea...ists_2009.html - which has given me some good ideas!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Which college will you be at? It might be different for other colleges.
    I know, I have to say I regret it now. I wish I'd have done A Levels.
    I got a Merit Award, not a scholarship, but I was chuffed nonetheless. I decided to just take a shot at it as I didn't have anything to lose!
    Haha, lucky him! Seems like such a good idea now.
    Thank you! Good luck for yours and with Les Liasons Dangereuses... :crossedf:
    Ha thanks. I'll be at Trinity (hopefully!)

Noone else from my college has received anything. I suppose with A levels coming up I don't really need another thing to worry about...
    Summer can't come too soon

ReputationRep:
    Ha thanks. I'll be at Trinity (hopefully!)

Noone else from my college has received anything. I suppose with A levels coming up I don't really need another thing to worry about...
    Summer can't come too soon
    Cannot wait for next week to be over... 7 exams in 4 days. Oh well, at least Maths will be over by this Thursday. I'm finished on May 23rd, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPSMain)
    Am I missing something in the reading list anxiety? Colleges have reasonable expectations about what can be read in a certain time, and wouldn't give enormous lists demanding that all books be read in a fortnight. :confused:
    St. John's has given me the French reading list. It is quite extensive, but they have given me sufficient time to read them. However, I'm still waiting on the Linguistics reading list. Plus the added difficulty of reading texts in a foreign language, and most of the French books are older in terms of the language and structure used as well. My annoyance is that I only hold a conditional offer, which isn't so certain as many of the AAA candidates, and yet we're expected to fork out a considerable amount of money and time on books that we might not be reimbursed on if we fail to make the grade. I'm not so bothered about reading them as they'll be wealthy experience wherever I go, it's just the money aspect. Considering I'm not from the right country, county, race, or religion to be eligible for a scholarship to St. John's, plus I have exams now and my offer is nowhere near a certainty, I'm reluctant to start reading quite yet.

Edit: I have 10 texts to read and understand for French. It's 'vital' that I know them according to the document.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumi Nous)
    Exactly how I feel - I might as well get started now! What subject are you again? I've found this - http://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/text/330/rea...ists_2009.html - which has given me some good ideas!
    I'm Maths & Philosophy; thanks for the link, might have a look at some of the philosophy stuff.

Cannot wait for next week to be over... 7 exams in 4 days. Oh well, at least Maths will be over by this Thursday. I'm finished on May 23rd, how about you?
    Ah, I remember the IB exam fun this time last year. The summer afterwards (particularly if you have A-level friends to laugh at) is awesome.

(Original post by SPSMain)
    Am I missing something in the reading list anxiety? Colleges have reasonable expectations about what can be read in a certain time, and wouldn't give enormous lists demanding that all books be read in a fortnight. :confused:
    Yeah, but we here at TSR will procrastinate with anything, even if it's more academic stuff that whatever we're avoiding, and this combined with chronic compulsive overachieving leads to reading list anxiety. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _backdrifts)
    I'm so very very late to this thread, but any biologists/ balliol people floating around?
    I've got an offer to do Biology, but at Jesus

ReputationRep:
    I have less exams - 4 - but am finished on the 20th of June.
    You'll get a really long holiday then at least

I'm deffo gonna pop over to France and immerse myself as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Don't be too surprised if you don't hear anything until after the A level results come out. I know it probably seems like a long way away but it's only just over 100 days from now (!).
    I'm on a gap year, so I guess I'll be twiddling my thumbs for another 100 days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TDM)
    I'm on a gap year, so I guess I'll be twiddling my thumbs for another 100 days
    Twiddle away stress-free. It's fun while it lasts.

ReputationRep:
    St. John's has given me the French reading list. It is quite extensive, but they have given me sufficient time to read them. However, I'm still waiting on the Linguistics reading list. Plus the added difficulty of reading texts in a foreign language, and most of the French books are older in terms of the language and structure used as well. My annoyance is that I only hold a conditional offer, which isn't so certain as many of the AAA candidates, and yet we're expected to fork out a considerable amount of money and time on books that we might not be reimbursed on if we fail to make the grade. I'm not so bothered about reading them as they'll be wealthy experience wherever I go, it's just the money aspect. Considering I'm not from the right country, county, race, or religion to be eligible for a scholarship to St. John's, plus I have exams now and my offer is nowhere near a certainty, I'm reluctant to start reading quite yet.

Edit: I have 10 texts to read and understand for French. It's 'vital' that I know them according to the document.
    I know what you mean about the texts, but some of them you can probs get out a school library (proust, les liaisons dangereuses, en attendant godot, phedre, baudelaire). Try and find out which texts you study first (it will probably be the short texts (montaigne/graffigny/racine/beckett/baudelaire/cesaire) and make sure you've read them, then worry about the others. Although this tactic might not be working out so well for me now... I didn't really start reading until after exams, and didn't make a real impression on the list until after results and have been fine so far.

And (especially with the long texts) don't feel terrible about reading them in translation first....

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinstriped.flower)
    I know what you mean about the texts, but some of them you can probs get out a school library (proust, les liaisons dangereuses, en attendant godot, phedre, baudelaire). Try and find out which texts you study first (it will probably be the short texts (montaigne/graffigny/racine/beckett/baudelaire/cesaire) and make sure you've read them, then worry about the others. Although this tactic might not be working out so well for me now... I didn't really start reading until after exams, and didn't make a real impression on the list until after results and have been fine so far.

And (especially with the long texts) don't feel terrible about reading them in translation first....

Sarah
    Thank you for the advice. My exams finish a lot earlier than the A Levels so I'll get onto it as soon as they're over.

ReputationRep:
    Join the Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/g...id=99522123966
    There are college groups too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.