Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guyys,

anyone thinking in applying for econs in Durham? Is it a good university for econs and for future career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robin1125)
    Finally got my UCAS form sent off today! Has anyone got any offers yet?
    High five! Seeing as the universities I've applied to tend to give out offers in very late October/November, according to the 2013 economics applicants page, I'll be just waiting patiently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)
    High five! Seeing as the universities I've applied to tend to give out offers in very late October/November, according to the 2013 economics applicants page, I'll be just waiting patiently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    May i ask what universities you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Flawless)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you know if the 2014 page has been set up yet? I did see a person on the Bristol page with an offer for Economics already, but I guess they got their UCAS form in really early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazard17)
    May i ask what universities you applied to?
    Sure; I applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Bristol. That's where a lot of the people on here applied to (i.e. NedStark, Bloxorus, Giant and some others).

(Original post by robin1125)
    Do you know if the 2014 page has been set up yet? I did see a person on the Bristol page with an offer for Economics already, but I guess they got their UCAS form in really early.
    I don't think so as I can't seem to find it anywhere. We should probably try to get one set up as it wouldn't be too difficult.

EDIT: Just made one based on last years' one: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._Stalking_Page

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does it seem like there are very few (if any) Oxford E&M applicants on this thread?

I haven't applied to Oxford, I just noticed it and thought it was a little odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Is it just me or does it seem like there are very few (if any) Oxford E&M applicants on this thread?

I haven't applied to Oxford, I just noticed it and thought it was a little odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I went to Oxford, really don't like the place at all + Bad gcse's so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I went to Oxford, really don't like the place at all + Bad gcse's so yeah.
    Yeah I agree about Oxford not being a very nice place. IMO Cambridge is a lot nicer as a city.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Yeah I agree about Oxford not being a very nice place. IMO Cambridge is a lot nicer as a city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know it's supposed to be the oldest university ever but it's just too old and the rooms aren't that moddern the college I looked at though was Wadham and the only good thing I can say is the library and the park.

ReputationRep:
    Sent off my SAQ and my LSE questionnaire

Does anyone know if UCL ask for UMS as well, I've heard that they do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    Sent off my SAQ and my LSE questionnaire

How long after sending your application did you recieve LSE questionnaire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    How long after sending your application did you recieve LSE questionnaire?
    About 4 days (two of those days were the weekend)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    About 4 days (two of those days were the weekend)
    Oh, thanks. I thought they are as quick as Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thanks. I thought they are as quick as Cambridge.
    Not as quick, but they ask for less information (just UMS, nothing else)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    Not as quick, but they ask for less information (just UMS, nothing else)
    That's great. I spent about 1.5 h filling my SAQ. I just have to ask my Chemistry teacher what topics we will have covered until December but I think it doesn't matter anyway, why should they want to ask me about rates or reaction etc?
    Did you put anything in additional personal statemet? I wrote there something why I find their course attractive but that is just about 600 characters, I didn't want it to sound artificial.

ReputationRep:
    Got AAAC at AS (Maths, economics, geography, french)
    Dropped french and predicted A*(maths)AA (trying to get economics to A*)
    Also trying to do a futher maths AS in my spare time.
    However I only got 3 A*s at GCSE and because I got a C in my 4th AS (I'm not resitting) I'm feeling really disadvantaged in terms of applying to the top unis.

ReputationRep:
    That's great. I spent about 1.5 h filling my SAQ. I just have to ask my Chemistry teacher what topics we will have covered until December but I think it doesn't matter anyway, why should they want to ask me about rates or reaction etc?
    Did you put anything in additional personal statemet? I wrote there something why I find their course attractive but that is just about 600 characters, I didn't want it to sound artificial.
    I just left it blank, everything that I wanted to say about Economics I had already mentioned in my personal statement. The Economics course at Cambridge is also pretty similar to most other universities. The only thing I would have mentioned would have been the tutorials/collegiate system/short terms/tripos but I don't think that would really require another personal statement, I reckon it's taken as a given (seeing as you're applying to Cambridge). I also didn't want it to sound artificial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    I just left it blank, everything that I wanted to say about Economics I had already mentioned in my personal statement. The Economics course at Cambridge is also pretty similar to most other universities. The only thing I would have mentioned would have been the tutorials/collegiate system/short terms/tripos but I don't think that would really require another personal statement, I reckon it's taken as a given (seeing as you're applying to Cambridge). I also didn't want it to sound artificial
    I just feel like it doesn't really matter what I write there as most important things were in my PS. They say you won't be disadvantaged if you leave it blank but then my Economics teacher was like "Of course you have to put something there if you want to get an offer". I would leave it blank but I'm a bit confused and I will just go to the Head of 6th Form to get some "emotional support".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    Yeah I was wondering this too. I think they did last year, but not for all applicants.

ReputationRep:
    I just feel like it doesn't really matter what I write there as most important things were in my PS. They say you won't be disadvantaged if you leave it blank but then my Economics teacher was like "Of course you have to put something there if you want to get an offer". I would leave it blank but I'm a bit confused and I will just go to the Head of 6th Form to get some "emotional support".
    I know plenty of people who have left it out

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.