Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tottenham play twice before we next play. A very telling week ahead. If Spurs lose to Chelsea then them beating Stoke would be fine as we can afford to just get four points from Wigan and Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Tottenham play twice before we next play. A very telling week ahead. If Spurs lose to Chelsea then them beating Stoke would be fine as we can afford to just get four points from Wigan and Newcastle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm hoping Stoke lose today, meaning they'll have to get a result against spurs to avoid relegation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    I'm hoping Stoke lose today, meaning they'll have to get a result against spurs to avoid relegation.
    I think Spurs will beat stoke anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    I think Spurs will beat stoke anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe, but it'll stop stoke doing their usual defending and accepting a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    The game wasnt played at a particularly high intensity so that didnt really suit Ramsey. His knockdown for Arteta was intelligent I guess but that was the highlight of his game. Seemed to fall into old habits of not really knowing what his role was after a very targeted couple of performances vs Everton/Norwich/Utd.

Rosicky didnt do an awful lot, which is understandable given how little we pressed after scoring, but it was all quality. Did very well for the goal and his spacial awareness and intelligence with the ball was typically impressive. Some nice little flicks with Cazorla early doors also looked promising but Santi never really got into the game properly and then just looked tired and lethargic on the ball 2nd half. I think Rosicky + Wilshere would function very well together but we've barely seen them together(and I mean ever).

Could see Rosicky playing until he's 35+ at a high level so I'm glad we have him, he's a luxury squad player.
    Yeah I remember him saying that all the injuries he's had make him feel a few years younger than he actually is (physically). I think 35 is a bit of stretch though, especially for the position he plays, as it requires a lot of energy and I can see his burst of pace fading towards the end of his career. It's such a shame he had so many injuries during his time here, could've been one of the best midfielders in the world. That vision, those outside of the foot passes :coma:

I think we should play Walcott up front in the next game and the Ox on the right. Podolski has been anomyous whenever he plays up front, just doesn't have good movement even if he is a clinical finisher. You need to get into the positions. Even Gervinho is better than him in this aspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    I think we should play Walcott up front in the next game and the Ox on the right. Podolski has been anomyous whenever he plays up front, just doesn't have good movement even if he is a clinical finisher. You need to get into the positions. Even Gervinho is better than him in this aspect.
    Agreed and I'll be surprised if Wenger doesn't. I've barely even noticed that Podolski is on the pitch the last two games.

Plus I think Ox deserves a start.

ReputationRep:
    On the BBC sport league predictor you can adjust the results of the next 3 games so that 1 of 8 teams (Stoke, Newcastle, Wigan, Southampton, Sunderland, Villa, Norwich, Fulham) get relegated with reading and qpr, it's mental.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I remember him saying that all the injuries he's had make him feel a few years younger than he actually is (physically). I think 35 is a bit of stretch though, especially for the position he plays, as it requires a lot of energy and I can see his burst of pace fading towards the end of his career. It's such a shame he had so many injuries during his time here, could've been one of the best midfielders in the world. That vision, those outside of the foot passes :coma:

Gervinho is phenomenal at getting in good positions and dribbling - if only he could finish :moon:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Agreed and I'll be surprised if Wenger doesn't. I've barely even noticed that Podolski is on the pitch the last two games.

Plus I think Ox deserves a start.
    Yeah, now I see why Wenger has always said 'He's played on the left 100 times for Germany so he'll play there for us'. I'm wondering how he scored 18 goals last season playing for Koln, that was as a centre-forward. Giroud has been important for us this season, he's been the focal point of our attack and created space for the likes of Santi to exploit.

I feel bad for Ox, he's been quality recently yet doesn't get a start. Always has such a big impact whenever he plays, whether it's terrifying opposition defenders, he always makes something happen.

ReputationRep:

Have heard the arguement that because Rosicky spent so long not playing, he's physically still fresh and I can see the logic. Certainly his performances since 2011 have been as good as any of his previous years. He's intelligent enough to adapt his game as the legs start to go anyway so I hope he has a few years left in the tank yet. Hard to find quality squad players like him so easily.

I'd probably stick with Podolski up top vs Wigan even though he hasnt been doing so well. Walcott is playing well and scoring from the wing so wouldnt want to disturb that by getting him to adjust to a central role with 2 games to go.

Poldi's due a goal anyway and youve got to see a chance falling his way sooner or later

(Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    On the BBC sport league predictor you can adjust the results of the next 3 games so that 1 of 8 teams (Stoke, Newcastle, Wigan, Southampton, Sunderland, Villa, Norwich, Fulham) get relegated with reading and qpr, it's mental.
    Stoke need to be sent back to the firey pits of the Championship from whence they came, for the good of humanity.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, my mild last post got rinsed to **** boy and it wasnt even about Ramsey. Either we got some big Poldi/Rosicky haters or some secret Stoke City fanboys :rolleyes:

(Original post by Zürich)
    The game wasnt played at a particularly high intensity so that didnt really suit Ramsey. His knockdown for Arteta was intelligent I guess but that was the highlight of his game. Seemed to fall into old habits of not really knowing what his role was after a very targeted couple of performances vs Everton/Norwich/Utd.

Rosicky didnt do an awful lot, which is understandable given how little we pressed after scoring, but it was all quality. Did very well for the goal and his spacial awareness and intelligence with the ball was typically impressive. Some nice little flicks with Cazorla early doors also looked promising but Santi never really got into the game properly and then just looked tired and lethargic on the ball 2nd half. I think Rosicky + Wilshere would function very well together but we've barely seen them together(and I mean ever).

Could see Rosicky playing until he's 35+ at a high level so I'm glad we have him, he's a luxury squad player.
    Agreed with that, but there was also just the issue of being sloppy in general with his passing, which hasn't been the case for a while now (he's been unimaginative at times but generally not sloppy). I'd say he just had a poor day. :holmes: I've been thinking about the idea of him being one of two midfielders in a relatively defensive role in our midfield, and I really like the added mobility he'd bring to it over someone like Capoue (a la Song, and Vieira to an extent; although Wenger wanting to bring in Vertonghen to be a 'Petit-type player' in front of defence does point to a move in the latter direction). We'd need Wilshere to take upon a good deal of creative responsibility in the long run for this to work, though, as I'm now less sure about his future as a box-to-box player in a double-anchor. In a sense, Cazorla being available presents a bit of a structural dilemma, which we seem to be dealing with now by playing him on the left, where imo he's less effective, enabling the team as a whole to gain a bit more balance.

I thought Rosicky was especially superb for the first twenty minutes or so, constantly threatening with his movement and passes. :yep: I'm not entirely sure about Rosicky and Wilshere playing together, though; they'd need a really commanding presence behind them for it to work imo, which we simply can't offer at the moment. I wonder if Wilshere-Rosicky might actually work better in a two-man midfield set-up than the three-man midfield we play. :beard: And I can definitely see Roscky keeping it up until around 35 if he manages to avoid more long-term injuries. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Szczesny needs to shut up, just giving Spurs more motivation to beat Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of schneiderlin of southampton?

Agreed. :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    gotta love the mind games lol
    nothing wrong with that

ReputationRep:
    tbh i think they have enough motivation

ReputationRep:
    Stoke away ia a very hard game - glad Spurs have to go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If Stoke lose then they will try much harder against spurs

If Stoke win, they will use their annoying defensive tactics

Not sure which result I want :dontknow:

On another note - I'm getting so hopeful but frustated at the fabregas to arsenal rumours - I know it'll never happen but I cant help but hop - its doing my head in :argh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    If Stoke lose then they will try much harder against spurs

If Stoke win, they will use their annoying defensive tactics

Not sure which result I want :dontknow:

On another note - I'm getting so hopeful but frustated at the fabregas to arsenal rumours - I know it'll never happen but I cant help but hop - its doing my head in :argh:
    Rumours that Wenger wants two strikers in with reports saying they'll be Jovetic and Remy. What do you think of the latter? I think he has potential and at £8 million worth the risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.