Guys lets keep it friendly here if we can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Guys lets keep it friendly here if we can

+1

People starting to quote things that were said weeks ago :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    Go read up on the Communist/Leninist/Stalinist ideology.
    As your so wonderfully indulged with communist information, share it with me, I'd be delighted to listen to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tulley11)
    As your so wonderfully indulged with communist information, share it with me, I'd be delighted to listen to you.
    Let sleeping dogs lie tulley.

I don't want to go back to my past of actually slightly harbouring those beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you stand on a schools freedom to make it's own decision regarding education? Do the coalition support legislating greatly what schools do, or prefer to let individual Headmasters and their Leaderships make the decision as to what they see best for their establishments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeStu)
    Where do you stand on a schools freedom to make it's own decision regarding education? Do the coalition support legislating greatly what schools do, or prefer to let individual Headmasters and their Leaderships make the decision as to what they see best for their establishments?
    Personally I believe that Headteachers, the Governors and the Borough Councils should make the main decisions regarding education as they know what's best as you have said but I can also see the advantage of Central Government getting involved to ensure all funding is spread equally.

I'd assume you will not get a 'coalition response' for a while because we are developing policy.

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck, for what it's worth coming from me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by OrangeStu)
    I favour there being a clear framework aimed at maintaining a general standard of provision that is considered appropriate with some flexibility within this for schools to implement their own procedures. How they set homework, what teachers they hire, what subjects they offer for A level, what community programmes they implement and what schools they have partnerships with. These things can all be decided, for the most part, by the school, for example.

I've never thought about it in terms of having to draw a line though, I think it is about finding the balance pertaining to each issue but in general I would err on the side of more legislation, but not too much.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Adorno)
    No less than from anyone else, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Agreeing largely with Paddy

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Could I ask where the Labour party stands on selling weapons to the Libyan National council, and where the party stands on the recognition of the Rebel Council as the legitimate government of Libya?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    Could I ask where the Labour party stands on selling weapons to the Libyan National council, and where the party stands on the recognition of the Rebel Council as the legitimate government of Libya?
    Better than selling them to the Gaddafi government, although I wasn't aware that we had been selling weapons to them. We recognise them as the government of Libya although not completely legitimate as they have not been chosen via free and fair elections (the holding of which is one of its aims of course)

ReputationRep:
    Better than selling them to the Gaddafi government, although I wasn't aware that we had been selling weapons to them. We recognise them as the government of Libya although not completely legitimate as they have not been chosen via free and fair elections (the holding of which is one of its aims of course)
    Seriously? Is selling weapons to either side really that great? Also, how can a group of rebels who control a handful of cities be considered a government? Isn't that a bit convenient to the course of action the government has undertaken.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? Is selling weapons to either side really that great? Also, how can a group of rebels who control a handful of cities be considered a government? Isn't that a bit convenient to the course of action the government has undertaken.
    because Gadaffi is opressing the will of his people in several cities that had been controlled by the rebels. At one point most of Libya was in rebel hands, however, due to a lack of rebel weapons, they are losing. They need support, also, if we help them, and they win, the oil is a vital resource that could be secured if we help them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    because Gadaffi is opressing the will of his people in several cities that had been controlled by the rebels. At one point most of Libya was in rebel hands, however, due to a lack of rebel weapons, they are losing. They need support, also, if we help them, and they win, the oil is a vital resource that could be secured if we help them
    That doesn't make it right and frankly we need to get over oil. The reason we're dragged into the middle of these conflicts is because of post-war drives by Conservative and Labour governments to convert our coal power stations into oil-fired ones. Funny that there's plenty of coal in Britain but we have to sell arms to dodgy rebels in Libya to get some oil. Talk about being like a crack addict not caring who he pays to get his next fix.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No it isn't great but I consider it to be the right thing to do. They are recognised as a transitional government.

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't great but I consider it to be the right thing to do. They are recognised as a transitional government.
    How is it right? It's a civil war and we know nothing very much about these rebels. Do they actually want democracy? Do they want freedoms for women? Do they want a secular state?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That doesn't make it right and frankly we need to get over oil. The reason we're dragged into the middle of these conflicts is because of post-war drives by Conservative and Labour governments to convert our coal power stations into oil-fired ones. Funny that there's plenty of coal in Britain but we have to sell arms to dodgy rebels in Libya to get some oil. Talk about being like a crack addict not caring who he pays to get his next fix.
    Yes but this coal is very expensive, hence why most of our coal that we do use is imported (from places like Poland and Australia). Then there's also the fact that coal is extremely dirty and that oil is more useful.

We (Britain) don't particularly need Libyan oil anyway as most of our oil comes from the North Sea. It is mainly continental European countries that import Libyan oil. I just personally think that we shouldn't have got involved at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yes but this coal is very expensive, hence why most of our coal that we do use is imported (from places like Poland and Australia). Then there's also the fact that coal is extremely dirty and that oil is more useful.
    Sure, but it was expensive using methods of mining not much adapted since the 1890s and with coal power stations that were built in the 1930s. I would imagine that engineering has progressed to the point where we are able to have much more environmentally friendly power stations that use coal and also have more advanced mining methods. I'm not seriously suggesting we go back to coal rather than forward to something else but it's the long-term consequences of policy change under the Tories in the 1950s that we're now stuck with.

We (Britain) don't particularly need Libyan oil anyway as most of our oil comes from the North Sea. It is mainly continental European countries that import Libyan oil. I just personally think that we shouldn't have got involved at all.
    Oh I agree, the present government was rather stupid to involve themselves in some fake effort to atone for Iraq.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.