ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JackTeh96)
    I mean unofficially, you can still give me a tour around UCL
    With pleasure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonyzac)
    With pleasure!
    I am free on Fridays after 5:00 in May/June. I guess you are busy preparing for exams right?

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the elective, what opportunities are there for med a students to go abroad at ucl ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if UCL has a non-smoking rule for medical students? I was a bit confused as to why they asked us if we smoked on the health questionnaire. Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JackTeh96)
    I am free on Fridays after 5:00 in May/June. I guess you are busy preparing for exams right?
    I could probably do June but not May because of exams! Let me know what date and I'll see if I'm free.

(Original post by Username12213131)
    Apart from the elective, what opportunities are there for med a students to go abroad at ucl ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As far as I know, the only real opportunity is the electives in year 6, although you could go during your summers.

(Original post by anon988)
    Does anybody know if UCL has a non-smoking rule for medical students? I was a bit confused as to why they asked us if we smoked on the health questionnaire. Thanks
    I know lots of medical students at UCL that smoke. Not advisable because patients can smell it on you when you see them, but they do allow it.

ReputationRep:
    I could probably do June but not May because of exams! Let me know what date and I'll see if I'm free.

I know lots of medical students at UCL that smoke. Not advisable because patients can smell it on you when you see them, but they do allow it.
    Yeah, sure!! I will PM you.

Oh dear... doctors advise ppl to quit smoking, but they smoke..

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Just thought I'd post here that I'm a current UCL medic and I'll be happy to help with any problems.

UCL Medical Student
    Always happy to answer questions!
    Hey i'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Maths and Englisg gcses i got a C for both. I'm in AS right now and have been working hard all year and am confident of gettng my 4As in chemistry, sociology (which i'll drop next year), biology and psychology. IF.... i get predicted As and A*s for A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onepiece#1)
    Hey i'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Maths and Englisg gcses i got a C for both. I'm in AS right now and have been working hard all year and am confident of gettng my 4As in chemistry, sociology (which i'll drop next year), biology and psychology. IF.... i get predicted As and A*s for A2
    oops sorry i pressed enter by mistake

carrying on....... would i stand a chance? with a good bmat score? or am i wasting my time

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Just thought I'd post here that I'm a current UCL medic and I'll be happy to help with any problems.

UCL Medical Student
    Hey i'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Maths and Englisg gcses i got a C for both. I'm in AS right now and have been working hard all year and am confident of gettng my 4As in chemistry, sociology (which i'll drop next year), biology and psychology. IF.... i get predicted As and A*s for A2 would i stand a chance? with a good bmat score? or am i wasting my time

ReputationRep:
    Would 5A* 5A's and 1 B hinder you from applying to UCL for medicine. Would it put you at much of a disadvantage?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by onepiece#1)
    Hey i'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Maths and Englisg gcses i got a C for both. I'm in AS right now and have been working hard all year and am confident of gettng my 4As in chemistry, sociology (which i'll drop next year), biology and psychology. IF.... i get predicted As and A*s for A2 would i stand a chance? with a good bmat score? or am i wasting my time
    I wouldn't apply I'm afraid. For 2015 entry, UCL says this:

"All UK candidates, or those who have received their secondary education in the UK, must offer GCSE (or IGCSE,
    O-level, IB or EB equivalent) at grade B or above in both English Language and Mathematics."

That's the requirement so I don't think you'd be successful with your application if you applied. Sorry

(Original post by GoldGhost)
    Would 5A* 5A's and 1 B hinder you from applying to UCL for medicine. Would it put you at much of a disadvantage?
    What was the B in? Otherwise, yes, I'd think you'd be fine with that Just do well in AS/A2.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=antonyzac;47160023]I wouldn't apply I'm afraid. For 2015 entry, UCL says this:

"All UK candidates, or those who have received their secondary education in the UK, must offer GCSE (or IGCSE,
    O-level, IB or EB equivalent) at grade B or above in both English Language and Mathematics."

That's the requirement so I don't think you'd be successful with your application if you applied. Sorry

what if i resat maths and english? or would that not make much of a difference

ReputationRep:

What was the B in? Otherwise, yes, I'd think you'd be fine with that Just do well in AS/A2.
    The B will probably be in drama, I'm trying to see if I can push it up to an A though. Will that be okay?

ReputationRep:
    Is the BCG/TB injection completely necessary?? I haven't had it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    [QUOTE=onepiece#1;47160075]

what if i resat maths and english? or would that not make much of a difference
    If you could get a B or higher, and then do well is AS/A2, then you definitely stand a chance I'd think carefully though since it might be a bad idea to resit GCSEs during A Levels as it could compromise your A Level grades which are more important. Maybe take a gap year; it might help a lot

(Original post by GoldGhost)
    The B will probably be in drama, I'm trying to see if I can push it up to an A though. Will that be okay?
    I'm sure a B in drama will still allow you to get into medicine, especially as it's a GCSE

(Original post by yasmin.mahfouz)
    Is the BCG/TB injection completely necessary?? I haven't had it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep. Everyone has to have it. If you can't get it through your GP then you'll get it at UCL anyway. Very costly though for anywhere you get it. It costs about £180.

ReputationRep:

UCL Medical Student
    Hi,

I have questions about the Health Questionnaire and vaccinations. Can I send in my health questionnaire whilst leaving the Hepatitis B, and Varicella sections empty as I haven't received the necessary vaccinations for them yet? Can I do this knowing that I can receive the vaccinations (for a price) at a later date (like after the deadline for the questionnaire)?

Can I send the health questionnaire in, as long as I've had the routine childhood vaccinations, without fear of having my questionnaire returned to me on the basis that it's 'incomplete'?

Thanks for your help anyhow!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi I'd write "did not receive" in the boxes that you haven't had the vaccines for. As long as every box has something in it, they won't send it back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamescbsmith)
    Hi,

I have questions about the Health Questionnaire and vaccinations. Can I send in my health questionnaire whilst leaving the Hepatitis B, and Varicella sections empty as I haven't received the necessary vaccinations for them yet? Can I do this knowing that I can receive the vaccinations (for a price) at a later date (like after the deadline for the questionnaire)?

Can I send the health questionnaire in, as long as I've had the routine childhood vaccinations, without fear of having my questionnaire returned to me on the basis that it's 'incomplete'?

Thanks for your help anyhow!
    I sent mine in with nothing in the Hep B section, and all that happened was that I received an email from them stating they'd seen I hadn't had a Hep B vaccine, but if I had started it since sending the form in, or planned to start it soon, that I didn't have to reply to the email, but they did say you could get it done there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey just wondering, Im thinking of applying to UCL next year and am pretty worried about getting my A* prediction in chemistry for a2 ( my school predicts an a* only if you get above 275 in AS chemistry) because i messed up my EMPA but i think i should definitely get predicted an A grade ( and will get an A at AS) and i am pretty confident that i will get a* predictions in my other subjects ( maths, bio and economics). Given that everyone on this thread has been predicted 4 a* at a level, would it be unwise to apply to UCL because of this? i.e. not doing myself any favours by applying to a place which is pretty set on high a2 predictions?

Of course i still need to do the BMAT and there are a plethora of things that determine the strength of your application but will this situation with my academics hold me back? ( btw got 8a* and 2.5A's at gcse)

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 29, 2014

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.