Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 10 A*s, 1 A
    A-Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Chinese (Mandarin)
    Course: Physics
    College: Merton

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who haven't chosen a college yet, I thought I'd just drop this here!

http://www.cherwell.org/comment/feat...oes-not-matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamY)
    For those of you who haven't chosen a college yet, I thought I'd just drop this here!

http://www.cherwell.org/comment/feat...oes-not-matter
    God bless your soul

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TARS)
    GCSE grades: 10 A*s, 1 A
    A-Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Chinese (Mandarin)
    Course: Physics
    College: Merton
    What exam board do you do Mandarin with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivoryfall)
    I'm applying for Chinese. My difficulty is making it sound enthusiastic but also intelligent. I am great at lots of descriptive, vibrant waffle, but that won't get me into Oxford :,)
    x
    Yeah, i got a basic structure so far but i just need to be able to reel my reader in with a 2-line introduction...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)
    The most unnerving task in the history of unnerving tasks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i'm just worried about results day aswell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tilly5798)
    Aren't we all... D:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm having mini breakdowns every hour. Ha. I don't think I'll get an A in anything . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, good luck with that! Try not to worry too much, there's nothing you can do now What subjects did you take btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    What exam board do you do Mandarin with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    CIE

ReputationRep:
    When choosing a college, is it worth playing the numbers game and working out which college take more students from state/private schools, have the lowest application numbers etc? I think, if I apply, I'll just apply to the one I liked the best when I visited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    This is so misleading!!!! I "only" achieved 2A*'s and 6A's at GCSE and yet have a place to study at Oxford in October. There is NO USE applying to a university based upon rumours which suggest that they look more closely at GCSEs... bear in mind that Oxford have the benefit of additional admissions tests so they look at much more than your GCSEs which are surpassed in the main by your A-Level results / predictions. Sorry for my tone but I really wouldn't limit yourself because of what you have heard! Goodluck!
    Thats the best thing ive read for a long time, if you dont mind me asking, what course are you applying for?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TARS)
    CIE
    I do English with CIE. Are you going to drop one of your subjects next year?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this is silly but I'm a tiny bit worried

Do you think it might be a problem if none of the books I refer to in the PS are from any of the suggested reading lists for my course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveToArgue)
    When choosing a college, is it worth playing the numbers game and working out which college take more students from state/private schools, have the lowest application numbers etc? I think, if I apply, I'll just apply to the one I liked the best when I visited
    From what I've been told, the only thing we should base our choice on is whether we like the college or not.

Do you think it might be a problem if none of the books I refer to in the PS are from any of the suggested reading lists for my course?
      No, it shouldn't be. I think you should just be able to explain what you've read and how it's relevant in your subject area

That's what I'm hoping for anyway

ReputationRep:

Not an issue at all. Tutors will want to see evidence of your own interest in the subject, everybody will probably have read one or two from the reading list so it's difficult to stand out when you're just talking about books which were given to you. Personally think it's better to find your own books and talk about what you enjoyed.

I only gave a cursory mention in my PS to one book on the suggested list.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LoveToArgue)
      Not at all - apply where you like the look of. Statistics mean nothing when it comes to applying as if you're good enough, you'll get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by enaayrah)
      No, it shouldn't be. I think you should just be able to explain what you've read and how it's relevant in your subject area

That's what I'm hoping for anyway
      My thoughts exactly, thanks!

What course are you applying for btw?

ReputationRep:
      Are teachers allowed to look at a personal statement?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.