Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing a documentary on mental illness for my film studies coursework and I was wondering if people would mind sharing why they sometimes don't/find it hard to admit that they have a mental illness? I completely understand if you don't want to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RebekaT)
    I'm writing a documentary on mental illness for my film studies coursework and I was wondering if people would mind sharing why they sometimes don't/find it hard to admit that they have a mental illness? I completely understand if you don't want to
    Sure.

To be honest some of the time I just don't want to think badly of the person, if I suspect they'll be judgemental. It's like finding out your granny's a bit racist - you know they're not a bad person in total, but you can't help but lose a bit of respect for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Sure.

To be honest some of the time I just don't want to think badly of the person, if I suspect they'll be judgemental. It's like finding out your granny's a bit racist - you know they're not a bad person in total, but you can't help but lose a bit of respect for them.
    I've never thought of it that way - thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I've never thought of it that way - thank you!
    Good luck with the coursework. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    HOW DID I FORGET ITS PANCAKE DAY??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cos your silly :yep: im gonna be making a mountain of pancakes later!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    Cos your silly :yep: im gonna be making a mountain of pancakes later!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    My main problem with admitting that I was ill was being in denial, even as a university psychology student I still didn't want to admit it? I like pretending everything is fine and caring for other people/making sure they're ok, so I don't want people to worry about me etc. So I guess that contributed to it.

That and I'm scared of being judged by a person for having a few MH issues - especially if they're close to me.

It's hard to talk about. :dontknow: Wish it wasn't though. Stigma definitely contributes to silence too.

Sorry if that doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    My main problem with admitting that I was ill was being in denial, even as a university psychology student I still didn't want to admit it? I like pretending everything is fine and caring for other people/making sure they're ok, so I don't want people to worry about me etc. So I guess that contributed to it.

That and I'm scared of being judged by a person for having a few MH issues - especially if they're close to me.

It's hard to talk about. :dontknow: Wish it wasn't though. Stigma definitely contributes to silence too.

Sorry if that doesn't help.
    It does help thank you I'm writing something about the stigma and how physical illness is treated so much more seriously than mental illness. It definitely needs to be less of a taboo subject, especially for it to be taken in the way that it needs to be

ReputationRep:
    It does help thank you I'm writing something about the stigma and how physical illness is treated so much more seriously than mental illness. It definitely needs to be less of a taboo subject, especially for it to be taken in the way that it needs to be
    Depends! I also have a physical disability and, even though it's classed as an invisible illness, I still get treated badly (e.g. told I'm lying). It's probably the whole not being able to see it type deal. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only remembered at like 2pm! Will be having ALL the pancakes :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends! I also have a physical disability and, even though it's classed as an invisible illness, I still get treated badly (e.g. told I'm lying). It's probably the whole not being able to see it type deal. :confused:
    That probably is the reason for it - I just don't see the need for people to stigmatize a serious issue, do you think we (doctors, the media etc) could move away from the stigma eventually? I hope we can soon, it would mean more people are treated fairly and correctly

ReputationRep:
    HOW CAN YOUS NOT REMEMBER PANCAKE DAY???? ! :eek3: :gasp: :headfire:

:ninja:

But yeah. Doing pancake day with ~20 under 7's in about an hours time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherbet_lemons7)

I wish you the best of luck with that! :P

ReputationRep:
    That probably is the reason for it - I just don't see the need for people to stigmatize a serious issue, do you think we (doctors, the media etc) could move away from the stigma eventually? I hope we can soon, it would mean more people are treated fairly and correctly
    There's literally no point in stigma at all. Hopefully we can, I mean stigma (for MH) has improved in the last few years, but it's still bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Well done, I hope it works for you
    Thank you!

That's great! You just reminded me to go and get my prescription.
    Thanks! Haha that's a good thing then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherbet_lemons7)

I HOPE YOU'RE MAKING SCOTCH PANCAKES

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay018)
    I wish you the best of luck with that! :P
    Why thank you. I feel I'll need it. :hugs:

(Original post by superwolf)
    I HOPE YOU'RE MAKING SCOTCH PANCAKES

:hmmm: You and your stereotypes... :hand:

Spoiler:
    Show
    We actually are
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SweetNothing)
    I'm sorry I know how you feel i'd hate if my dog was in the vets too, at least he's in the best place and they're going to help him get better.

I hope he comes home soon!
    Thanks. He ended up getting put to sleep I know its for the best since he's no longer suffering but damn it still hurts so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Thanks. He ended up getting put to sleep I know its for the best since he's no longer suffering but damn it still hurts so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :hugs: Really sorry to hear that, it's a horrible decision to have to make.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.