ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Its probably wrong to call it wasting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why is it wrong ? explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    But it's not ....... Apparently ungrateful " Migrants " are entitled to benefits according to the EU...... why do you think that Cameron tried to get benefit reform during his failed negotiation
    Migrants are entitled to benefits if and insofar as they arrived after having shown the capability of sustaining themselves and their families, and then are unfortunate enough to no longer be so capable. What is not permissible under EU law is for some unemployed Romanian bloke to think 'eyup dem benefits the UK's got are good init' and come and live off benefits here, and anyone suggesting otherwise is either misinformed or lying.

ReputationRep:
    Controlling borders is about controlling how many immigrants come to the UK
    It's not. It's about controlling which migrants come to the UK.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Migrants are entitled to benefits if and insofar as they arrived after having shown the capability of sustaining themselves and their families, and then are unfortunate enough to no longer be so capable. What is not permissible under EU law is for some unemployed Romanian bloke to think 'eyup dem benefits the UK's got are good init' and come and live off benefits here, and anyone suggesting otherwise is either misinformed or lying.
    But if you listen to some Migrants in Calais a lot say " We want to go to England because they give us more money than France or Germany " ...... It's a drain on money than could be used to give to people ( i.e UK citizens ) that really need it not someone escaping " War or persecution "
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Apparently the reason there are no pork scratchings sold in the campus bars is because they aren't halal, I really hope the person was talking ******** when they said that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's not. It's about controlling which migrants come to the UK.
    But we can't do that in the EU , we have to accept free movement of people ... as soon as theses " Migrants " get EU passports it's Welcome to the UK .....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Apparently the reason there are no pork scratchings sold in the campus bars is because they aren't halal, I really hope the person was talking ******** when they said that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    .................. Last time i checked Muslims did'nt have the right to dictate what can be sold in bars , shops etc ..... don't like it ? then don't have them ,,,, simple as

ReputationRep:
    But if you listen to some Migrants in Calais a lot say " We want to go to England because they give us more money than France or Germany " ...... It's a drain on money than could be used to give to people ( i.e UK citizens ) that really need it not someone escaping " War or persecution "
    Anecdotes, and insofar as there is a problem, as I have said, it is the fault of the UK government, not the EU. EU law does not require the UK government to take EU migrants who cannot support themselves. As for Calais... there is a moral obligation to support refugees, and of course the UK should take its fair share.

But we can't do that in the EU , we have to accept free movement of people ... as soon as theses " Migrants " get EU passports it's Welcome to the UK .....
    This is just wrong. I strongly recommend you read this in full before saying a single word more on migration within the EU: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/... />0012:EN:PDF

ReputationRep:
    Controlling borders is about controlling how many immigrants come to the UK
    It seems TDA got there before me. We can and do control our borders.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Anecdotes, and insofar as there is a problem, as I have said, it is the fault of the UK government, not the EU. EU law does not require the UK government to take EU migrants who cannot support themselves. As for Calais... there is a moral obligation to support refugees, and of course the UK should take its fair share.
    It may be moral to accept "refugees" but it doesn't mean we should accept them ..... we should look at our infrastructure and public services ( which is struggling to met demand as it is ) before we consider accepting any "refugees "

This is just wrong. I strongly recommend you read this in full before saying a single word more on migration within the EU: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/... />0012:EN:PDF
    The document doesn't appear to work

ReputationRep:
    It may be moral to accept "refugees" but it doesn't mean we should accept them ..... we should look at our infrastructure and public services ( which is struggling to met demand as it is ) before we consider accepting any "refugees "

How does leaving the EU or no taking a few refugees do to support our infrastructure? Surely, if we were building homes, schools and hospitals we'd be able to take in these refugees. I think you've shown pretty consistently that your disagreement with taking in refugees has nothing to do with our infrastructure.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Really ? I thought wasting 315 million a week was a economic disadvantage but hey-ho
    That figure isn't even accurate as £350 million a week isn't the net cost. The figure it is derived from, the annual contribution of £18 billion last year does not take into account the UK rebate (which was worth around £5 billion). The EU also spends money in the UK to the tune of £4.5 billion, leaving a net contribution of £8.5 billion.(1)

It's also useless as a figure by itself. If economic output is higher as a result of the level of access we have in the single market, then the "cost" is exceeded by the economic benefit of membership, resulting in a net gain. The Leave camp have so far failed to demonstrate that the economic benefit of membership is less than the cost of membership, or that a future deal with the EU would reduce the cost of access by more than the loss in economic output.

(1) Gov Figures: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...15.pdf#page=44
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How does leaving the EU or no taking a few refugees do to support our infrastructure? Surely, if we were building homes, schools and hospitals we'd be able to take in these refugees. I think you've shown pretty consistently that your disagreement with taking in refugees has nothing to do with our infrastructure.
    Don't you realise that their is a stain on our health service ? , Transport systems ( Now i'm not saying it's all down to immigration there are other factors such as less resources , under staffing ,) However immigration is a factor

ReputationRep:
    Don't you realise that their is a stain on our health service ? , Transport systems ( Now i'm not saying it's all down to immigrantion
    Yes I do, it's nothing to do with immigrants though, it's to do with the fact that we aren't increasing supply anywhere near to the rate of demand.

ReputationRep:
    "It is moral to" is synonymous with "We should". We are struggling with our infrastructure and public services because income taxes are not high enough and military spending is too high.

Google 'EU regulation 492/11'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yes I do, it's nothing to do with immigrants though, it's to do with the fact that we aren't increasing supply anywhere near to the rate of demand.
    The higher the population the more strain there is on our public services ...... Immigration is remarkably high .... some immigrants come here for benefit and health tourism with is unsustainable
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "It is moral to" is synonymous with "We should". We are struggling with our infrastructure and public services because income taxes are not high enough and military spending is too high.

Google 'EU regulation 492/11'.
    Read my latest reply to limeman

ReputationRep:
    Read my latest reply to limeman
    Yess, it's just wrong. You should still read that regulation before talking more about EU immigration.

ReputationRep:
    The higher the population the more strain there is on our public services ...... Immigration is remarkably high .... some immigrants come here for benefit and health tourism with is unsustainable
    Two things that I want to stop.

It isn't the fault of immigration though that our infrastructure is being strained, it's under-investment. I was immigration to be cut to the ten's of thousands and I want most of it to come from the commonwealth, because there are strains on our infrastructure, but this isn't the fault of immigrants.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.