Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azimuth)
    Congratulations! What scholarship is it? What are you going to be studying?
    It's called AIKOM, it's a year at the University of Tokyo, Komaba Campus. You do a year of a Liberal Arts programme (Politics, Culture, Literature, Art, Economics, History) combined with intensive language study and lots of field trips. It's like a dream come true!

It's only just beginning to sink in really. I feel like I am lying when I tell people the good news, like it's not real! My department are really chuffed though. I am a bizarre mix of elated and terrified!

ReputationRep:
    I'm joining! After a good few years of wanting to learn Japanese and always thinking 'now's not the right time', I'm going ahead with it at the worst time possible (final year at Uni, very far behind my classmates after personal problems). Lol! But I just can't help it anymore! I've picked up a VERY small handful of hiragana from watching anime, and I regularly find myself being fascinated by something I read or hear and getting distracted and suddenly finding that I've spent the past half hour with the anime paused while I'm looking up some words or the meaning behind a phrase or, embarrassingly, I will almost always search for the translation of whatever food people are eating in animes (subtitles normally just use the Japanese word for the food) to find out exactly what it is and if it's something I'd like to try in the future! So basically, I've always been interested, but have put it off for reasons I'm not sure. Actually, I think I know why, I think ages ago I read something that seemed to suggest that students of Japanese are kinda looked down on if their interest in Japan stems from Anime. Can't remember where I read that; it must've been years ago.

Anywho, I don't care anymore. I have plenty of language websites, hiragana and katakana practice sheet PDFs, travel websites, random Japanese forums, book suggestions that I've saved over the years and I'm going for it. I've visited this Society many times but have always shied away even though you all seem so nice! I'm starting from the very beginning and, randomly, I'm starting with Kanji using the Heisig/Remembering The Kanji method (after reading the reviews on Amazon.co.uk). The book is delivered next week sometime and I'm very nervous as I will be self-learning and I'm generally poor at languages. Well, not poor, I learnt Latin until I had to change schools and I did German for GCSE and I was an A student in both, but forgot pretty much everything I learnt once exams were over. I don't think my methods of learning are very good, which is why I'm trying Heisig's method as I don't want to find out that I've just crammed things into my short-term memory with Japanese. I want to actually learn it. What do you think? Should I learn my Hiragana alongside or just fully commit to the Kanji first and then learn Hiragana as I'm learning to pronounce the Kanji? Or should I just scrap the idea and start with the Hiragana and Katakana like I'm supposed to?

Sorry for the long message, I tend to waffle on! :eek3: It's nice to finally officially meet you all! :o:

Also, how do you make it so your keyboard can type in Japanese too? I have Windows 7 if that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Also, my plan is to treat myself to a trip to Japan as a comfortable Japanese speaker by my 30th birthday, which gives me about 3 1/2 years (yes, I'm old!).

Also, (the last 'also', I promise!) please note that this means I haven't learnt a spoken language since my GCSEs 10 years ago. :indiff: Am I destined for failure???? :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I regularly find myself being fascinated by something I read or hear and getting distracted and suddenly finding that I've spent the past half hour with the anime paused while I'm looking up some words or the meaning behind a phrase
    Oh, I've been there... :rolleyes:

Actually, I think I know why, I think ages ago I read something that seemed to suggest that students of Japanese are kinda looked down on if their interest in Japan stems from Anime. Can't remember where I read that; it must've been years ago.
    Yeah, just ignore those people. Any reason you have for being interested in Japan is a valid one. Mine came from video games, actually.

What do you think? Should I learn my Hiragana alongside or just fully commit to the Kanji first and then learn Hiragana as I'm learning to pronounce the Kanji? Or should I just scrap the idea and start with the Hiragana and Katakana like I'm supposed to?
    Personally, I'd say that hiragana + katakana + grammar fundamentals are more important to be getting on with than Heisig at first. Again, personally, I think that the value of doing Heisig is in the method itself (demystifying kanji by breaking them down into their constituent components and memorising them based on stories relating those components) rather than actually going through the whole 2042-frame book. I only managed to get up to about 250 or so before laziness took over and I stopped doing it methodically, but with any new kanji I encountered in the wild, I'd memorise them with the Heisig method.

Plenty of people will disagree with me and say that you have to do Heisig all the way through at the beginning, but I guess the main thing is that there's no right or wrong way to do this, and to just try stuff out and find out what works for you.

http://kanji.koohii.com/ - this site and its forums are a great place to ask questions, get new ideas for stories, etc.

http://www.ajatt.com/toc - this is the site of a guy who became fluent in Japanese in 18 months. There's a lot to read on there, but the gist of the method is to use Japanese as much as possible in your daily life.

Also, (the last 'also', I promise!) please note that this means I haven't learnt a spoken language since my GCSEs 10 years ago. Am I destined for failure????
    If you love Japan and Japanese, you're destined for success. That's all you need, because learning the language then becomes its own reward.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I've been there... :rolleyes:

Yeah, just ignore those people. Any reason you have for being interested in Japan is a valid one. Mine came from video games, actually.

Personally, I'd say that hiragana + katakana + grammar fundamentals are more important to be getting on with than Heisig at first. Again, personally, I think that the value of doing Heisig is in the method itself (demystifying kanji by breaking them down into their constituent components and memorising them based on stories relating those components) rather than actually going through the whole 2042-frame book. I only managed to get up to about 250 or so before laziness took over and I stopped doing it methodically, but with any new kanji I encountered in the wild, I'd memorise them with the Heisig method.

Plenty of people will disagree with me and say that you have to do Heisig all the way through at the beginning, but I guess the main thing is that there's no right or wrong way to do this, and to just try stuff out and find out what works for you.

http://kanji.koohii.com/ - this site and its forums are a great place to ask questions, get new ideas for stories, etc.

http://www.ajatt.com/toc - this is the site of a guy who became fluent in Japanese in 18 months. There's a lot to read on there, but the gist of the method is to use Japanese as much as possible in your daily life.

If you love Japan and Japanese, you're destined for success. That's all you need, because learning the language then becomes its own reward.
    Thank you, thank you! And thanks for the new links to add to my ever growing stash! (need to organise!). I'll see how the book looks when it comes and decide how I'll go then. I admit the idea of looking at a Kanji and knowing what it means and having no idea how to say it seems weird, but many of the reviewers said it's the best way to learn without being distracted by other things.
    *note to self: do NOT sit by the mailbox waiting for your book, do some Uni work!*

ReputationRep:
    Are Japanese characters working yet? ?????????

Apparently not. -_-

ReputationRep:
    I passed N2!

ReputationRep:
    I passed N2!
    Congrats! I have no idea what that is btw!

ReputationRep:
    I passed N2!
    Oh my god! Well done!!! That's incredible!!!
    I think I'm going to take the N3 paper in July as part of my course. It's terrifying to think how far I have yet to go compared to you. Very well done! How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! I have no idea what that is btw!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jlpt

(Original post by screenager2004)
    Oh my god! Well done!!! That's incredible!!!
    I think I'm going to take the N3 paper in July as part of my course. It's terrifying to think how far I have yet to go compared to you. Very well done! How did you find it?
    I actually found it harder than I was expecting based on the practice questions, and I ran out of time on the reading section and had to guess a couple at the end. But the listening was surprisingly easy.

ReputationRep:
    Language Knowledge - 54
    Reading - 60?
    Listening - 43

157/180 AA

Was expecting sth like 110...hmm...
    I still couldn't believe it .... especially I became a self learner from 3.5 years ago...(facepalm

157 in N1 but only an A in GCE, interesting.

==EDIT de-geso==
    I passed N2!
    Congratz!

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh, I'll say congrats again then! (I thought it was just called Level 1, Level 4 etc.)

(Original post by asabashoyuki)
    Language Knowledge - 54
    Reading - 60
    Listening - 43

157/180 AA

Was expecting sth like 110...hmm...
    I still couldn't believe it .... especially I became a self learner from 3.5 years ago...(facepalm

157 in N1 but only an A in GCE, interesting.
    :eek: :adore: Congrats to you too! 4 years... I hope I'll get there!

ReputationRep:
    Oooooh, I'll say congrats again then! (I thought it was just called Level 1, Level 4 etc.)

:eek: :adore: Congrats to you too! 4 years... I hope I'll get there!
    Thanks!

It used to call as what you said - "JLPT Level x"
    But they changed the syllabus since 2009, as well as new marking method / framework of questions

Hmm, not 4 years really.

(Since age of 11) Studied Japanese for 3Years ?Language course @ language centre? >> Stagnated for 2 years due to study abroad (Still in touch with Japanese stuffs like anime and 2ch threads, though) >> Started preparation toward Level 2 from Jul 09 >> Started preparation toward N1 from Jul 10

So strictly speaking..maybe 5years? (Very incoherent, though)

ReputationRep:
    posting to follow this thread.
    shi_tsureishimasu.

ReputationRep:
    Send PMs to RK, if he gets enough he might try and fix it
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Send PMs to RK, if he gets enough he might try and fix it
    Please don't send me lots of PMs. It won't help things. I'm as frustrated by the Japanese (and other characters) being broken as you are and hardly a week has gone by without me chasing up the status of the problem and whether we are close to getting it fixed. It's seemed like we've always been almost there with it, but something else has continually come up to mean the fix we thought we had would lead to other problems or wouldn't actually work.

I've seen again today that we're supposed to be close to a fix again - we'll see if we actually are. But please don't think that just because this isn't fixed, it hasn't been worked on at all - it seems that many hours worth of working involving many different people has been spent looking in to these character problems. I for one will be extremely pleased when it is fixed as it seems quite unacceptable that we have had a problem like this on the site for so long.

ReputationRep:
    :hifro:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Please don't send me lots of PMs. It won't help things. I'm as frustrated by the Japanese (and other characters) being broken as you are and hardly a week has gone by without me chasing up the status of the problem and whether we are close to getting it fixed. It's seemed like we've always been almost there with it, but something else has continually come up to mean the fix we thought we had would lead to other problems or wouldn't actually work.

I've seen again today that we're supposed to be close to a fix again - we'll see if we actually are. But please don't think that just because this isn't fixed, it hasn't been worked on at all - it seems that many hours worth of working involving many different people has been spent looking in to these character problems. I for one will be extremely pleased when it is fixed as it seems quite unacceptable that we have had a problem like this on the site for so long.
    What's actually causing the problem?

And how did you turn up so quickly?

ReputationRep:
    OMG I'm joining you! I love Japan!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    What's actually causing the problem?

And how did you turn up so quickly?
    There have been numerous issues and I have to admit I don't fully understand everything that is causing the delays in getting this fixed. The general issue is that the character set we use for the new site is one which doesn't support the Japanese and other characters. As soon as I realised this we started working towards using a character set which does contain the Japanese characters however it's not such a simple job. At best it was going to require several hours down time and there has been a series of worries (not all which I understand) about how exactly we make the change and the consequences that change could have on the site.

As for how I found the post so quickly....I see everything that happens on the site...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.