University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    That's actually the fourth floor and that is where fellows live (as well as some teaching rooms), no students have balconies
    That makes sense, I was sort of guessing that they might be Band A rooms, but even then I thought a balcony was a bit much! What's the cool looking cylindrical thing with windows which comes out of the roof?

(Original post by niamhscarlett)
    Well, looks like we have a little group going! What are you all studying? I'm studying PBS.
    (Original post by JJarosz98)
    That's cool, economics myself
    I'll be studying CompSci. How much work have you been given in preparation? I feel like there's a lot already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    You're welcome.

Digitalisation of books is an ongoing programme at UL, so just keep on checking their catalogue to see if a book you need became digital.
    Honestly most of the books I've needed (even some very niche ones) have been available as eBooks from the UL. It's pretty great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Slightly old data - but this might be interesting:

Attachment 579270

It still surprises me how much variation there is between colleges. And note the rent is "average" and again there's a range of rents above and below each college average (except Homerton and Newnham where everyone pays the same).
    Homerton and pembroke next to each other.
    Pembroke has 0 ensuites and homerton is guaranteed it.
    Life is great

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Honestly most of the books I've needed (even some very niche ones) have been available as eBooks from the UL. It's pretty great.
    Is that so?
    Obviously they've been really working hard then. Sounds better than when my daughter was there.
    It's really good if it's digitalised as you can even access it from home.

ReputationRep:
    Thought these were quite good and relevant
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR8...c8TCnZw/videos

ReputationRep:
    Is that so?
    Obviously they've been really working hard then. Sounds better than when my daughter was there.
    It's really good if it's digitalised as you can even access it from home.
    Yeah for most modern books you can go to the publishers website and login using your Cambridge ID to get a PDF. Exactly. Very useful for outside term time.

I also found out that I been allocated a room in my first preference price band (although I wont know which building until I arrive) so I can start budgeting now. The email arrived around 10 last night, does nobody get a weekend at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yeah for most modern books you can go to the publishers website and login using your Cambridge ID to get a PDF. Exactly. Very useful for outside term time.
    Come to think of it, it makes sense they have access to a publisher's digital archive as UL is a legal deposit library.
    All the books she needed for her supervisions/lectures were available from one of the libraries (UL, department, college), mostly in digital as well, but it wasn't necessarily the case for books she wanted to read for her dissertation, even in printed form.
    So a few trips to British Library was needed for dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it, it makes sense they have access to a publisher's digital archive as UL is a legal deposit library.
    All the books she needed for her supervisions/lectures were available from one of the libraries (UL, department, college), mostly in digital as well, but it wasn't necessarily the case for books she wanted to read for her dissertation, even in printed form.
    So a few trips to British Library was needed for dissertation.
    Yeah if you need some really niche stuff I guess the UL may not even have a copy, especially if it's very old. The arts and humanities students can worry about that though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yeah if you need some really niche stuff I guess the UL may not even have a copy, especially if it's very old. The arts and humanities students can worry about that though
    Yeah she WAS an art/humanity student.....
    They weren't that old, all published within last 10-15 yrs or so, but perhaps quite niche.

British Library's reading rooms are really nice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kn_dragon)
    Per year it's like £4,413... so per term it's around £1,471
    Does it include utility and the fixed kitchen charge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Does it include utility and the fixed kitchen charge?
    I think it includes utilities, not sure about KFC. I'll ask my college parents about it

I have a copy of my SAQ answers for some reason and some of them are so cringifyingly cheesy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy10663)
    That makes sense, I was sort of guessing that they might be Band A rooms, but even then I thought a balcony was a bit much! What's the cool looking cylindrical thing with windows which comes out of the roof?

I'll be studying CompSci. How much work have you been given in preparation? I feel like there's a lot already!
    What have you been set this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    I have a copy of my SAQ answers for some reason and some of them are so cringifyingly cheesy
    iirc mine was a mixture of saying "ooh maths is so beautiful" whilst sucking up to a couple of profs I saw at the open day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    iirc mine was a mixture of saying "ooh maths is so beautiful" whilst sucking up to a couple of profs I saw at the open day
    Are you guys talking about the (optional) additional personal statement in your SAQs?

I remember someone posting ages ago that their (DoS?) read out everyones' personal statements for a laugh. :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Are you guys talking about the (optional) additional personal statement in your SAQs?

I remember someone posting ages ago that their (DoS?) read out everyones' personal statements for a laugh. :hide:
    At least their DoS read them.

Mine was essentially 'look mate, your course is top, your uni is top, I want a decent career in science, let me in' :lol:

Yeah...

That's so cruel :'(

ReputationRep:

It is a tradition at last dinner of DoS/fellows/final year students before graduation day at some colleges.
    They read out the graduates' PS when they applied.
    At my daughter's, they turned it into a game and DoS read PS without the author's name and everybody guess who wrote it, and the author pretend it's not them join in guessing.

ReputationRep:
    It worked, tho.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.