Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You can start to see signs of it from my spelling of the word tragedy.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melsonchun)
    Lol, I think my grades pale in comparison with yours luh. Haha, same batch, hope I'll be able to disrupt 2 months prior to the end of my ns liability. This way, I'll attend school next year, hopefully.
    oh? I thought only some scholars are able to disrupt. :/ My sibling tried to do so last year also. But failed, zzz.

(Original post by summersolitude)
    Another straight As student! I'm taking my A levels this year so I'm gonna be doing my application end of this year. Having to get that many As seems pretty daunting! Any tips? :p:
    EHH.. i think the general advice on studying hard blahblahblahs applies? but then again... there's always ppl who study much lesser (but absorbs faster) and still do soooo well.:yes: Good luck for your As!

ReputationRep:
    so ychangling are you a scholar? :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionelg)
    so ychangling are you a scholar? :O
    I don't think so? There isn't any organisation that I've heard of that will sponsor one on a law degree. Maybe PSC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benn88)
    @summersolitude and melson

Like what you said, it is not easy to judge. What I would advise you to do would be to email the admissions head for the module you want to take and direct your questions to them. Most importantly, ask if there are still spaces available (considering we start applying only in March/April, which is already at Phase 2 of the UK application process which starts in January I believe).

Some universities have a high admission rate for International students. Generally, London Universities (I heard ICL has a huge intake of Singaporean students), OxBridge etc have a very high rate. Some may take in more International students because we generate a huge amount of their income. Thus some might be more inclined to take in International students with a slightly lower grade (But not that low!). I would say for appreciated courses, maybe only 1 grade lower.

Something I learnt while speaking to an admissions officer which I want to share :

Singapore A level system is harder than the UK one. Generally, an AAB here is considered an AAA there. For Law, our GP may or may not be taken into consideration depending on how good your grades are (Good meaning A2 and above if you want to read law). On the contrary, their general studies in UK is not taken into consideration at all, except perhaps for the UCAS tariff points.

Score well in your LNAT. That is very important!

Put in effort in your personal statement. It will go a long way.

Also, Ill assume both of you are guys. You have 2 years to apply then, and in both years you can apply at all stages (from Jan) even up to clearing.

It's worth a try. I applied very late (last minute decision when I was headed for NTU/NUS and just decided to switch, so I applied in May this year).

Good luck in your applications and I hope you make it to wherever you want to study! I'm reading law too
    Thank you for your time. Where are you currently reading law at? Were you required to take any additional testing requirements, say the IELTS? How about the difficulty of the LNAT? My apologies for the tirade of questions.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so? There isn't any organisation that I've heard of that will sponsor one on a law degree. Maybe PSC?
    why add salt to my wound. zzz. uk fees very expensive yknow.

MPA does. PSC does. eh... actually if u check the BrightSparks book, many of the organisations say they accept Law. Whether they give scholarships out to 'em is another story.

Besides, if you're bonded, you can't be admitted to the Bar.. yah.

So, no, I'm not a scholar. HAHA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ychangling)
    why add salt to my wound. zzz. uk fees very expensive yknow.

MPA does. PSC does. eh... actually if u check the BrightSparks book, many of the organisations say they accept Law. Whether they give scholarships out to 'em is another story.

Besides, if you're bonded, you can't be admitted to the Bar.. yah.

So, no, I'm not a scholar. HAHA.
    Ah.. my commiserations. Sorry! Had you intended to apply for a scholarship?

ReputationRep:
    just asking.. (oh yes I forgot about the scholars and Law part)

well, don't worry, I believe some of us are in the same boat

Anyone going to the Pre-Departure Event on the 25th?

ReputationRep:
    Ah.. my commiserations. Sorry! Had you intended to apply for a scholarship?
    HAHA actually I did. FIVE OF THEM IN FACT. :mad: but, 2 rejected without interview. 1 rejected after interview. 2 M.I.A. even till now.

Going!

ReputationRep:
    I also tried applying (and I must admit due to procrasination and such I submitted a HORRIBLE application) and as expected 2 rejections, somehow I'm happy it ended that way :P

ah, anyone else going?

ReputationRep:
    just out of curiosity though, which schools are you guys from?

ReputationRep:
    actually there are loads of scholarship boards that apparently give the green light to law prospects to apply for the scholarship. but when you actually go for the interview, and when push comes to shove, they rather take some other degree-pursuer over law ones.

been there done that with a couple of my friends. law isnt really a 'bondable' degree

ReputationRep:

yep im going!

ReputationRep:
    schools as in? JCs?

acs independent. pioneer batch of ib graduates! woohoo!

haha. my apologies for that outburst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    schools as in? JCs?

acs independent. pioneer batch of ib graduates! woohoo!

haha. my apologies for that outburst.
    haha another loyal asci graduate i see :p:

ReputationRep:
    The school which requires only one student to fix a lightbulb, and the whole school to cheer him on.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    The school which requires only one student to fix a lightbulb, and the whole school to cheer him on.:woo:
    vj? haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX03)
    Hi all,

'm applying to Cambridge Churchill for engineering. According to the cambridge website, they do not give any test to Churchill's applicants for
    engineering. However, I'm wondering whether that is only for UK
    students and not for international students. Can someone please help
    me clarify this?
    Best thing to do would be to email the admissions tutor at Churchill, or try asking this question again in the Cambridge forum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=15 (or one of its subforums).

(Original post by Benn88)
    Some universities have a high admission rate for International students. Generally, London Universities (I heard ICL has a huge intake of Singaporean students), OxBridge etc have a very high rate. Some may take in more International students because we generate a huge amount of their income. Thus some might be more inclined to take in International students with a slightly lower grade (But not that low!). I would say for appreciated courses, maybe only 1 grade lower.
    That depends really. I know for a fact that Cambridge sometimes gives harder offers to international students (it wasn't unheard of for some offers to be AAAA or to include S paper distinctions, as opposed to the standard AAA offer for Cambridge). Things may be different now, though, following the introduction of the A* grade for UK A levels (and the consequent increase of Cambridge's standard offer to A*AA)...

ReputationRep:
    vj? haha
    I can safely say I'm the only one from my college going to the UK for further education. Hah!

ReputationRep:
    HAHA actually I did. FIVE OF THEM IN FACT. :mad: but, 2 rejected without interview. 1 rejected after interview. 2 M.I.A. even till now.

Going!
    Lol, okay.. Have you settled the gargantuan costs that involved in living in london? Suppose if i get admitted into kcl or ucl, i'm saying if, i'm worried that my parents would not have deep-enough-pockets.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.