This discussion is closed.
maryamnc
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by elliewoodheadx)
I do chem bio and psychology too! I'm on my second year of A levels, but just re-sitting this for an A for uni haha
Ahh haha yeah I'm in AS How is psychology A2, not sure if I'm going to take it but looks interesting
maryamnc
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dooobie_)
Haha same! Bio and psychology to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same!
Tinuviel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hassanakhtaruk)
If a six marker came up on trancheoles in insects, what would you write? I'm stressing because I just don't know what to expect...btw in past papers I'm doing really well in timing...does anyone else thinks that timing is good in this exam? I always finish in an hour!

Absolutely, same here. But it gives me time to correct myself if need be.
PR11NCE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What do we actually need to know about cellular differentiation? I dont get it. ..what kind of questions can they ask? Oh and about haemolobin, is it high affinity in the lungs where there is lots of oxygen and less co2? Or the other way round?
That all it is, is the process that cells go through to adapt them to a specific function. You need to know about the organelles in a cell, for example, mitochondria is the site of aerobic respiration and HOW those organelles help that cells function! Look in the CGP revision guide, there's a fantastic double page spread on it and it is more common sense than anything else. If you don't have it, let me know and when I get out of bed il scan and send you it.
HAEMOGLOBIN has a high affinity for oxygen and loads (in the lungs) where the partial pressure of oxygen is high. Oxygen unloading is linked to a higher carbon dioxide concentration (known as the Bohr effect)
Hope this helps
Suzanna5678
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PR11NCE)
That all it is, is the process that cells go through to adapt them to a specific function. You need to know about the organelles in a cell, for example, mitochondria is the site of aerobic respiration and HOW those organelles help that cells function! Look in the CGP revision guide, there's a fantastic double page spread on it and it is more common sense than anything else. If you don't have it, let me know and when I get out of bed il scan and send you it.
HAEMOGLOBIN has a high affinity for oxygen and loads (in the lungs) where the partial pressure of oxygen is high. Oxygen unloading is linked to a higher carbon dioxide concentration (known as the Bohr effect)
Hope this helps
Whaaaat?! We have to know about the organelles for this unit?? Uhhhhhh
Suzanna5678
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What's everyone doing revision wise. Are people just learning notes or rewriting them now?
maryamnc
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If a six marker came up on trancheoles in insects, what would you write? I'm stressing because I just don't know what to expect...btw in past papers I'm doing really well in timing...does anyone else thinks that timing is good in this exam? I always finish in an hour!
I think you'd write about the tracheoles and trachea system, the spiracles allow oxygen to enter, there are concentration differences between tracheloes and the watery fluid at the end so it travels down a concentration gradient. You could also talk about how muscles help ventilation, there's quite a bit to say look in the textbook sorry if my answer was a bit retarded haah

Yeah i love the timing on this exam woo!
maryamnc
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Suzanna5678)
We need to know chloroplasts, and then like adaptations of root hair cells and xylem tissue and stuff, everything that's in the textbook.
Suzanna5678
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Got a feeling the 6 marker will be .. 'Explain how water enters a plant root from the soil and travels through to the endodermis' would cry with happiness if it came up
HebeDyson
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haemoglobin - Just about whether its the Bohr effect or whether the haemoglobin of a particular animal has high or low affinity and whether because of this has trouble becoming desaturated :P How the haemoglobin in adapted to living in certain conditions, eg a Lugworm in low partial pressures of oxygen has haemoglobin with very high affinity. Means gets 100% saturated at very low partial pressures however means can only dissociate when partial pressure of oxygen in the muscle cells is extremely low, which is a bad thing.
Suzanna5678
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by maryamnc)
We need to know chloroplasts, and then like adaptations of root hair cells and xylem tissue and stuff, everything that's in the textbook.
Adaptions for xylem tissue?! Swear I don't have that in my book
PR11NCE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Read the revision guide page on cell differentiation it's not difficult I assure you:
Human cells
Dna genetic material controls cell etc
Cytoplasm site of chemical reactions
Ribosomes site of protein synthesis
Mitochondria site of aerobic respiration
Etc etc, you will probably have to apply it to a case. They'll say, oh this is a muscle cell, what makes it well adapted for its role and you have to say stuff like, well it's mitochondria for aerobic respiration produces energy for muscle contraction... Etc. They don't require as much detail as oxidative phosphorylation so it's not too bad! Best of luck
Suzanna5678
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Read the revision guide page on cell differentiation it's not difficult I assure you:
Human cells
Dna genetic material controls cell etc
Cytoplasm site of chemical reactions
Ribosomes site of protein synthesis
Mitochondria site of aerobic respiration
Etc etc, you will probably have to apply it to a case. They'll say, oh this is a muscle cell, what makes it well adapted for its role and you have to say stuff like, well it's mitochondria for aerobic respiration produces energy for muscle contraction... Etc. They don't require as much detail as oxidative phosphorylation so it's not too bad! Best of luck
which revision guide?? X
PR11NCE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just skip back a page or two in this thread! Loads of people had this question in their minds and there are a few ideas for exemplar answers.
PR11NCE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
which revision guide?? X
CGP, if you don't have it, just let me know il scan the appropriate pages and upload it here for you :-)
Azzy G
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Imagine a 6 mark question on Mass Transport comes up lol
Suzanna5678
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
CGP, if you don't have it, just let me know il scan the appropriate pages and upload it here for you :-)
I don't I wish I did and please , would super appreciate it xx
Suzanna5678
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Azzy G)
Imagine a 6 mark question on Mass Transport comes up lol
Omg what do we write
PR11NCE
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't I wish I did and please , would super appreciate it xx
Sure thing, gimme like 20 minutes :-)
lorobolorolo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is a niche and how does a reduction in biodiversity lead to a reduction in niches?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (83)
68.03%
No I haven't decided yet (23)
18.85%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
13.11%

Watched Threads