Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryazd)
    I have two friends who applied to LSE and they have been rejected. One for Law & Anthropology and one for International History. LSE gives you a reason why they rejected and both of theirs was due to their personal statements not being tailored enough to LSE's course... So were our personal statements meant to be completely about LSE and their course and nothing else? I've included "I would like to study IR or ESPS" in my personal statement because I'm applying to only london to stay close to home and I'm applying to the top unis here.. I'm starting to get worried...
    I feel this pain... Econ History is hardly offered by any unis in the UK, probably 6/7 max? I only put a paragraph in relating to it because the the majority of my choices are straight History :/ I hope they understand this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryazd)
    I have two friends who applied to LSE and they have been rejected. One for Law & Anthropology and one for International History. LSE gives you a reason why they rejected and both of theirs was due to their personal statements not being tailored enough to LSE's course... So were our personal statements meant to be completely about LSE and their course and nothing else? I've included "I would like to study IR or ESPS" in my personal statement because I'm applying to only london to stay close to home and I'm applying to the top unis here.. I'm starting to get worried...
    Did your friends get rejected before getting the 5 week email or afterwards because they had great grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saimaahmadd)
    Did your friends get rejected before getting the 5 week email or afterwards because they had great grades!
    Yeah I did some reading on one of the topics & that happened to be about the integration of Europe which therefore also applies to my European studies courses too!

One got rejected after the 2 week, one 3/4 weeks into her 5 week email...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryazd)
    Yeah I did some reading on one of the topics & that happened to be about the integration of Europe which therefore also applies to my European studies courses too!

One got rejected after the 2 week, one 3/4 weeks into her 5 week email...
    Omg, basically just waiting for a rejection from International History then. A2 predictions A*AA currently 1 week 3 days since my 5 week email.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracelich)
    Omg, basically just waiting for a rejection from International History then. A2 predictions A*AA currently 1 week 3 days since my 5 week email.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She was applying to Oxford though so her ps was an Oxbridge style history personal statement, it wasn't really an "international" history one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryazd)
    She was applying to Oxford though so her ps was an Oxbridge style history personal statement, it wasn't really an "international" history one
    I'm keen to know what they see as an 'economic' history personal statement :/... if they expect it to be littered with it then I'm well and truly ****ed...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you've mentioned a topic outside of British History then I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErHi?)
    If you've mentioned a topic outside of British History then I'm sure you'll be fine
    Yes, I've talked about Mao's China, Italian History and then some about Henry VIII. Mao's China took the bulk though tbh. My own personal History featured a little too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryazd)
    My personal statement was completely written LSE style. I used the info I got from the open day and online as a basis for it. Although I think I may have spoken a bit too much about E.C/ work experience. I felt it was all relevant though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've talked about Mao's China, Italian History and then some about Henry VIII. Mao's China took the bulk though tbh. My own personal History featured a little too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So here's me applying for Economic History and the Great Leap Forward would have been bloody fantastic for it, however, I didn't include it :/

That sounds fine tbh! They can't expect you to talk about International History for all of it because your four other universities will have British History, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErHi?)
    So here's me applying for Economic History and the Great Leap Forward would have been bloody fantastic for it, however, I didn't include it :/

That sounds fine tbh! They can't expect you to talk about International History for all of it because your four other universities will have British History, don't worry
    Ahhh, true! Loved learning about that. Yeah, I suppose so. Over the moon that Leeds liked it enough to give me an offer though tbh. What parts of History did you mention? I think writing a personal statment for Economic History must have been tough, I wouldn't know where to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, true! Loved learning about that. Yeah, I suppose so. Over the moon that Leeds liked it enough to give me an offer though tbh. What parts of History did you mention? I think writing a personal statment for Economic History must have been tough, I wouldn't know where to start!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have one amazing offer to fall back on I'd be so ecstatic if I was in your position!

Erm, talked about the economic influence the British Empire had on trade, how Economics A Level helped my understanding on the emergence of Economic Superpowers, French Revolution linked with English Lit, book on the turkish invasion of Cyprus

Only dedicated one paragraph to economic history which is why I'm terribly worried :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErHi?)
    You have one amazing offer to fall back on I'd be so ecstatic if I was in your position!

Erm, talked about the economic influence the British Empire had on trade, how Economics A Level helped my understanding on the emergence of Economic Superpowers, French Revolution linked with English Lit, book on the turkish invasion of Cyprus

Only dedicated one paragraph to economic history which is why I'm terribly worried :/
    That all sounds interesting. Currently studying the French Revolution. Really enjoying it. I'd recommend Simon Schama's "Citizens: A chronicle of the F.R" if you don't have it already. Studying it this year, so it's a good for referencing. I've watched some stuff on BBC 4 about the Ottoman empire. Again, found it really interesting. I think you have a good mix of topics there. Don't worry too much about only including one direct paragraph on Economic History. All of the above is relevant too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErHi?)

From what I've understood, I think LSE want you to have chosen them as your number 1 uni and so having dedicated the majority of your ps to them..,, LSE is like that I guess, they have the right to, being 3rd best in the whole country

ReputationRep:
    That all sounds interesting. Currently studying the French Revolution. Really enjoying it. I'd recommend Simon Schama's "Citizens: A chronicle of the F.R" if you don't have it already. Studying it this year, so it's a good for referencing. I've watched some stuff on BBC 4 about the Ottoman empire. Again, found it really interesting. I think you have a good mix of topics there. Don't worry too much about only including one direct paragraph on Economic History. All of the above is relevant too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for that Haven't really seen/read much of Schama's work but I'll give it a purchase on the Kindle... Still trying to see whether it can win me over from normal books!

Yea hopefully, the entry reqs are AAB so I hope they'd realise I've gone for higher requirement universities because my predictions are A*AA, even though LSE will be by Firm choice if I get it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryazd)
    From what I've understood, I think LSE want you to have chosen them as your number 1 uni and so having dedicated the majority of your ps to them..,, LSE is like that I guess, they have the right to, being 3rd best in the whole country
    Economic History is such a niche subject though, only offered by 6/7 unis in the UK... Well if I get rejected and the feedback is my PS then I'm not sure how I'd feel tbh :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryazd)
    That's my fear too. My personal statement contains some token economic stuff (10%) to appeal to Oxford for PPE. I think it will seriously count against me for applying to P&P at LSE. If I had made them no.1 choice, and tailored my statement to them, I reckon I would have had a good shot at them. Now, I'm doubtful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    Well done.

May I ask for your AS, A2, GCSEs?
    Hello, I have achieved:

A-levels : A*A*A*A*

GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theholonym)
    That's my fear too. My personal statement contains some token economic stuff (10%) to appeal to Oxford for PPE. I think it will seriously count against me for applying to P&P at LSE. If I had made them no.1 choice, and tailored my statement to them, I reckon I would have had a good shot at them. Now, I'm doubtful.
    LSE, even though they are a world class institution, should understand we do have 4 other options that will have slightly different courses! my worry is the same as yours but we won't know until we get an offer, or a rejection with the feedback our PS weren't tailored towards them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theholonym)
    Keep me updated on it, follow me on twitter @ramisayazd or add me on facebook Ramisa Yazdani Biouki

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.