Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOJB)
    Doesn't matter as they did not ask you to give your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures. Man you guys stress out about sig figs too much. I put em to whatever I feel like unless it tells me I'm being assessed on it. I really don't see the significance of them anyway, you're not losing accuracy by putting them to more than you are given. /rant

As long as you're consistent it's fine. Like 2/3 sig figs is fine. As long as you don't go crazy like do some questions to 1 sf, and then others 7 sf, you'll be fine. I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benroxo)
    ahh so you could either do 6V-1.5V/1.5*10-4 or 6/1.5*10-4 - (2*5000), surely both will get the marks?
    So long as you have 30,000 ohms and show clearly how you got there then yes it should.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter as they did not ask you to give your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures. Man you guys stress out about sig figs too much. I put em to whatever I feel like unless it tells me I'm being assessed on it. I really don't see the significance of them anyway, you're not losing accuracy by putting them to more than you are given. /rant
    Thanks man. Sin fig are the worst thing to be honest. My teacher told me to write in sig fig according to the values given. eg, 0.5695559A So, current (for example) should be written as 0.57 to 3sf. not 0.567 or 0.6 etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    What value did you write for q6?
    I got the same answers except just rounded up to one decimal place. Although for conservation of energy question, it added to 50.7 instead of 50.4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_Clever_Guy)
    Im soo happy i absolutely destroyed this paper but i got the last last question wrong and i think that I messed up on a few theory questions but i reckon I got maybe around 62-64 for this paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you are a CLEVER GUY then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    Thanks man. Sin fig are the worst thing to be honest. My teacher told me to write in sig fig according to the values given. eg, 0.5695559A So, current (for example) should be written as 0.57 to 3sf. not 0.567 or 0.6 etc.
    That's right, but you're only assessed on one question thankfully. I also have a serious problem with using rounded values in subsequent calculations which the mark schemes often allow by default. As a mathematician that makes me cringe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccashman)
    I got the same answers except just rounded up to one decimal place. Although for conservation of energy question, it added to 50.7 instead of 50.4
    I got 50.4 happiest moment of the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im soo happy i absolutely destroyed this paper but i got the last last question wrong and i think that I messed up on a few theory questions but i reckon I got maybe around 62-64 for this paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I got about same as you...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I got around the same I'm really happy Just need unit 2 to go well now!

ReputationRep:
    Is there a thread for unit 2 yet?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got the actual paper please pm me so I can do solutions on the paper and upload them

ReputationRep:
    That's right, but you're only assessed on one question thankfully. I also have a serious problem with using rounded values in subsequent calculations which the mark schemes often allow by default. As a mathematician that makes me cringe.
    Oh how I wish we could've written answers as fractions for this exam.

ReputationRep:
    For 7a) I put 6.6*10-4, I'm guessing I will be penalised for this? Have no idea why I put 6 and not 7.

ReputationRep:
    I got 50.4 happiest moment of the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaa ahh I bet it was. I'll just pray they give me the mark

ReputationRep:
    Really? assessed on just one question. OMG I was so stressed. This means I got about 65+ marks in the exam. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    I think I got around the same I'm really happy Just need unit 2 to go well now!
    Yeh same but i did well in my ISA i got 46/50 so i can afford to drop marks here and there but I still want to get as high as i possibly can

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benroxo)
    For 7a) I put 6.6*10-4, I'm guessing I will be penalised for this? Have no idea why I put 6 and not 7.
    If I was an examiner I'd give you the mark. :P How many marks was the question?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh same but i did well in my ISA i got 46/50 so i can afford to drop marks here and there but I still want to get as high as i possibly can

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know what I got in my ISA

ReputationRep:
    If I was an examiner I'd give you the mark. :P How many marks was the question?
    I think it was just 1 so I should be okay do you know if it mattered which of the two arrows coming off the right of the Feynman diagram was the positron and which was the neutrino?

ReputationRep:
    for the question about the rate of power from the internal resistor R etc i actually rounded my answers to 3 sig fig would i lose the marks?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.