Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    If Stoke lose then they will try much harder against spurs

If Stoke win, they will use their annoying defensive tactics

Not sure which result I want :dontknow:

On another note - I'm getting so hopeful but frustated at the fabregas to arsenal rumours - I know it'll never happen but I cant help but hop - its doing my head in :argh:
    Doesn't a draw put both teams at risk of relegation, hence ensuring they still have something to play for when they both face Spurs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Rumours that Wenger wants two strikers in with reports saying they'll be Jovetic and Remy. What do you think of the latter? I think he has potential and at £8 million worth the risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    With the cost of Giroud, Jovetic and Remy you could have financed the purchase of an actual RVP replacement. £12m + £25m + £8m. That's the cost of Falcao. The only one who is top quality, and even then he's not premium quality, is Jovetic and he's going to cost a pretty penny looking at Fiorentina's probably position.

I'm still convinced if Arsenal win their remaining games you will qualify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    With the cost of Giroud, Jovetic and Remy you could have financed the purchase of an actual RVP replacement. £12m + £25m + £8m. That's the cost of Falcao. The only one who is top quality, and even then he's not premium quality, is Jovetic and he's going to cost a pretty penny looking at Fiorentina's probably position.

I'm still convinced if Arsenal win their remaining games you will qualify.
    Falcao would cost more than 45 mil

But I still agree with you although I think this is better if that makes sense (don't think it does!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Remys good and I wouldn't say no to buying him but to sign him 6 months after letting Chelsea have Ba would piss me off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Falcao would cost more than 45 mil

But I still agree with you although I think this is better if that makes sense (don't think it does!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's got a well reported buyout clause 45m euros.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Szczesny needs to shut up, just giving Spurs more motivation to beat Chelsea.
    To an extent but it seems like in 2013 everybody wants footballers to show Theo Walcott style personality. ''Yeah, we'll give 110% and do our best to play our own game'' spinning boring cliche after boring cliche. Spurs deserve to be put in their place anyway after they were giving it the big un after the 2-1 loss.

Besides, if Spurs need Szczesny to motivate them for their biggest game in years then they've already lost anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    To an extent but it seems like in 2013 everybody wants footballers to show Theo Walcott style personality. ''Yeah, we'll give 110% and do our best to play our own game'' spinning boring cliche after boring cliche. Spurs deserve to be put in their place anyway after they were giving it the big un after the 2-1 loss.

Besides, if Spurs need Szczesny to motivate them for their biggest game in years then they've already lost anyway.
    Its the fact that Sczcesny constantly pipes up as if he is some sort of leading figure of world football when he should be worrying about keeping his place in the side and actually achieving something in the game before he starts giving it the big I am in the press because at the minute he just embarrasses himself and the club and looks like a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Its the fact that Sczcesny constantly pipes up as if he is some sort of leading figure of world football when he should be worrying about keeping his place in the side and actually achieving something in the game before he starts giving it the big I am in the press because at the minute he just embarrasses himself and the club and looks like a ****
    In fairness it was an internal interview for Arsenal.com that all players are invited for and the mainstream media have since picked up on it looking for a story. Not like he called a press conference outside WHL or something. Having said that I dont think it makes AFC look particularly good so he should tone it down. Then again with AVB openly goading us after the 2-1, Spurs cant complain and it'll have no impact on the run in anyway. As if they werent trying their best to get top4 anyway...

In the rest of the same interview he was actually extremely modest and self-critical even though he earned us the full 3 points on Saturday with a top quality save and performance generally.

ReputationRep:
    In fairness it was an internal interview for Arsenal.com that all players are invited for and the mainstream media have since picked up on it looking for a story. Not like he called a press conference outside WHL or something. Having said that I dont think it makes AFC look particularly good so he should tone it down. Then again with AVB openly goading us after the 2-1, Spurs cant complain and it'll have no impact on the run in anyway. As if they werent trying their best to get top4 anyway...

In the rest of the same interview he was actually extremely modest and self-critical even though he earned us the full 3 points on Saturday with a top quality save and performance generally.
    Yeah he did well Saturday especially that save I gotta say after I have been panning him all week and before. AVB mugged himself off when he started banging on about our 'spiral of negativity' and then Spurs promptly hit the skids and lost their form and thats why it does szczes no favours to be trying to goad tottenham when theres still football left to be played.

If we were winning things and that then I wouldn't mind the players trying to give it out a bit but how often do you get a sense when watching the side trudge through another mediocore performance that there is a lack of accountability and standards at the club and too many of the players dont really give a **** so then when I see them piping up in the papers like they are the dogs *******s when they should be shutting up and playing better it just does my head in tbh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he did well Saturday especially that save I gotta say after I have been panning him all week and before. AVB mugged himself off when he started banging on about our 'spiral of negativity' and then Spurs promptly hit the skids and lost their form and thats why it does szczes no favours to be trying to goad tottenham when theres still football left to be played.

If we were winning things and that then I wouldn't mind the players trying to give it out a bit but how often do you get a sense when watching the side trudge through another mediocore performance that there is a lack of accountability and standards at the club and too many of the players dont really give a **** so then when I see them piping up in the papers like they are the dogs *******s when they should be shutting up and playing better it just does my head in tbh
    Well that's true but look at players like Walcott/Arteta/Ramsey/etc who always say the ''right things'' in interviews about doing their talking on the pitch or whatever BS they think sounds professional, and have let us down this season on countless occasions. Agree that Szczesny should actually accomplish something in his career before he starts mouthing off but I'd also say that he's one of the players who does seem to care.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's true but look at players like Walcott/Arteta/Ramsey/etc who always say the ''right things'' in interviews about doing their talking on the pitch or whatever BS they think sounds professional, and have let us down this season on countless occasions. Agree that Szczesny should actually accomplish something in his career before he starts mouthing off but I'd also say that he's one of the players who does seem to care.
    That is true Walcott is a prime example of the too much too soon problem between his self centred interviews before he signed a new deal and releasing an autobiography aged 22

ReputationRep:
    That is true Walcott is a prime example of the too much too soon problem between his self centred interviews before he signed a new deal and releasing an autobiography aged 22
    I's amazing how many footballers have autobiographies released. Doesn't Rooney have like 2/3 out already and he's not even 30 yet :lolwut:

Which idiots buys these books?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I's amazing how many footballers have autobiographies released. Doesn't Rooney have like 3/4 out already and he's not even 30 yet :lolwut:

Havent read Walcott's piece of **** but surely it cant be worse than Ashley Cole's?

Realistically what does Theo Walcott have to write about anyway? Even if he released it at 32, he doesn't seem to have any personal problems whatsoever, doesn't seem like he'd ever call someone a ****(which is basically what the best autobiographies consist of) and its not like he has a personality or sense of humor to compensate is it?

Merson brought out a book last year called ''How not to be a professional footballer'' that was absolutely hilarious. Anecdotes include his tendency to hit Smithfield Market boozers at 6am pre-training, his struggles finding a reliable source of cocaine after he moved out of London, his frustrations at having to juggle commentating on games on soccer am whilst monitoring his own gambling losses in real time, and the time he lost 50k betting that Arsenal would win in a Uefa Cup 2nd leg after beating the Danish opposition 5-0 in the first leg only for Dixon to carelessly give away a last minute equalizer.

Roy Keane's autobiography was probably the best ever imo, fascinating insight into the mindset of a nutcase. Jamie Carragher's last year was decent as well. Tony Adams', Niall Quinn's and Merson's original auto are the all time Arsenal classics probably although no Arsenal player in years has brought out a worthwhile book. Wenger sometimes goes on about writing a book so that would be fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I's amazing how many footballers have autobiographies released. Doesn't Rooney have like 2/3 out already and he's not even 30 yet :lolwut:

Yeah he's got a couple at least I think he signed a 3 or 4 book deal a few years back so theres more to come soon

And on zurichs point about Walcott have nothing to talk about the thing that got hyped up in the papers was that he said Capello was a hard coach and something about how he turned up late to the hotel once and Capello completely blanked* him, riveting stuff

ReputationRep:
    7 years ago today that Highbury held it's last game. Very bittersweet moment for me and my family personally that we left. It was a truly special ground and embodied everything good about Arsenal: the classy art deco stand, the marble halls, the way it was just there slap bang in the middle of all these houses in the middle of an old working class area. My grandparents still live on the Avenell Road. We probably did have to move, but I wish the club had found a way to expand the ground. It was a special stadium and had something about it that I don't think the Emirates will ever have. I will always remember my first game at Highbury. It was that game vs Everton in 1998. My dad didn't intend to take me until I was a bit older but he knew that day was going to special, and he was right. I think the best thing about Highbury was how it seemed like you were so close to the pitch. From the East stand you almost felt you could touch the grass if you stretched out your hands.

Here are some pictures. As I said it was a beautiful place. we probably had to move to become a truly 'big' club, but sometimes you maybe wonder if it was worth it...? Wish they had incorporated parts of what made Highbury so famous into the Emirates.

(Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    7 years ago today that Highbury held it's last game. Very bittersweet moment for me and my family personally that we left. It was a truly special ground and embodied everything good about Arsenal: the classy art deco stand, the marble halls, the way it was just there slap bang in the middle of all these houses in the middle of an old working class area. My grandparents still live on the Avenell Road. We probably did have to move, but I wish the club had found a way to expand the ground. It was a special stadium and had something about it that I don't think the Emirates will ever have. I will always remember my first game at Highbury. It was that game vs Everton in 1998. My dad didn't intend to take me until I was a bit older but he knew that day was going to special, and he was right. I think the best thing about Highbury was how it seemed like you were so close to the pitch. From the East stand you almost felt you could touch the grass if you stretched out your hands.

Here are some pictures. As I said it was a beautiful place. we probably had to move to become a truly 'big' club, but sometimes you maybe wonder if it was worth it...? Wish they had incorporated parts of what made Highbury so famous into the Emirates.

:coma: Hopefully we manage to develop some sort of cultural atmosphere around the Emirates over the next couple of years as well. And get a better name.

In further invocation of nostalgia, Bergkamp now has two Eredivisie titles as assistant manager of Ajax.

Come on, Arsenal Board, do the maths. :moon:

In other news, we're being linked to Hamburg's Son Heung-min. Looks an interesting prospect and seems to be pretty highly regarded by major clubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    :coma: Hopefully we manage to develop some sort of cultural atmosphere around the Emirates over the next couple of years as well. And get a better name.

In further invocation of nostalgia, Bergkamp now has two Eredivisie titles as assistant manager of Ajax.

The Emirates will never even come close. Highbury was a beautiful grade 2 listed art-deco stadium whereas what we have now is a typical modern plastic stadium. Obviously very proud of the Emirates, but considering that its the most expensive stadium ever built by a football club, I think it could have had a more impressive design. Personally I think it looks like a La Liga style stadium? What they should have done is made it 3 tiered with much steeper stands like the Allianz. The Emirates stands are way way too shallow to be atmospheric really.

Having said that my brother who's an engineer reckons that Arsenal were forced to design it as it is to make it easily expandable. He reckons 80,000+ wouldnt be a problem so that's a silver lining of sorts. Obviously Holloway Road tube station would need almost a complete rebuild to accommodate that though.

Bergkamp is essentially the Ajax co-manager btw. If he could get over his fear of flying then I reckon he'd be a shoe in as Wenger's heir...

ReputationRep:

In other news, we're being linked to Hamburg's Son Heung-min. Looks an interesting prospect and seems to be pretty highly regarded by major clubs.

I've watched him a lot in German league good player, but still an 11 goals return isn't that amazing tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Also is Stevan Jovetic actually signing for us? apparently it's a done deal but knowing Arsenal nothing's a done deal till I see it on Skysports.

ReputationRep:

I agree he's a pretty interesting looking player. Seems like a good finisher with both feet from that video, especially with his left foot around the edge and outside the box. Could be a good recruitment on the right wing although he's supposedly happy anywhere in the attack. I heard somewhere fairly recently that Hamburg were still interested in signing Bendtner. Perhaps that could be used to our advantage in some sort of swap deal.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.